• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by loxy.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What bike for commuting…
  • PrinceJohn

I’ve recently started a new job that is close enough to home to commute by bicycle. They also offer the cycle to work scheme… So… it’s new bike time!

I’m looking for something that will be able to take a little bit of off road as some of my commute could be along gentle off road trails.

I’m currently commuting via road on my singlespeed road bike, which I may sell. I’ve also got a Genesis Day One Decade that could be perfect, but ideally I want something with gears, I have thought about fitting an alfine or something to this?

But what else is out there? I’ve seen the Sonder that ticks a lot of boxes…

scaled
    Free Member

I do a mainly off road commute, ride whatever you like but go tubeless.

I had conti sport contacts on my Escapade till that was stolen, nice and fast rolling but a bit puncture fragile on the stock rims.  I’m running G-Ones tubless on stans grail rims now and they’re bloomin awesome. I’m on a Kinesis 5T crosslight now. Both bikes are awesome, the cotic was more special though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I commute on a old railway line that is unsurfaced so very muddy but only gravel level rough

Whatever you do go with a sturdy drive chain. The mud in the winter distroys the drive chain. Mine is old 7 speed so cheap and tolerant to abuse but I wouldn’t want anything too expensive and “needs to be just so”.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Isn’t the stock answer the Pinnacle Arkose in whichever one suits your budget.

whitestone
    Free Member

My commute is about 1/3 canal towpath, it’s not too rough but it isn’t tarmac or even tarmac smooth. I use a Genesis Croix de Fer 10 which is in the C2W limit (just). I’ve 32C tyres but I’d consider getting some wider ones but that will depend on whether the mudguards will accept them.

I sometimes commute on an old On-One Pompetamine that I’ve converted to single speed, it has 37C tyres which are much nicer on the towpath and not too slow on the road either. I’m thinking about putting some “Road plus” wheels on the CdF but getting hold of the WTB Byway tyres is a little tricky ATM.

IHN

How long is the commute, will you be doing it on normal clothes or biking kit?

edhornby

I’d alfine the genesis and fit proper mudguards

PrinceJohn

How long is the commute, will you be doing it on normal clothes or biking kit?

It’s about 6 miles – I’ll probably be in cycle kit from the waist down, but civilian clothes on top.

fasthaggis

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-me-a-cx-commuter-2/#post-9894523

The work colleague with the GT Grade that I mentioned,has been using it for the last week and really rates it.

RustyNissanPrairie

Am doing 6 miles each way all year, riding a Norco Search (gravel/adventure) but a slightly older steel frame model that they no longer make (aluminium or carbon now).

Running 35c Conti CX speed in winter and Victtoria Hypers in drier months. Drive train is now a mix of 105, XT and Sora – 9speed for durability/cost.

Upgraded Hunt wheels, Lynskey carbon fork, Thomson&Easton bars/stem/post.

Fantastic bike, strong enough for proper off road use, fast on road, unfazed by knackered tarmac. Set quite a few offroad KOM’s and holding my own on tarmac segments.

martymac

I’d either go mtb 29er, something a little bit racy perhaps.

or, some cx/gravel type bike.

i use conti cx speed tyres on one of my bikes, they ride really well.

all my bikes are shimano 10speed, im finding it to be reliable and hardwearing.

what you buy will depend on what you already own i guess.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If considering flat bar bikes, Boardman Hybrid Pro, £750 before BC discount as it’s now EOL.

jeffl

I used to use a planet X London road for just this sort of thing. When that broke I swapped all the parts over to an Arkose frameset. Only been a week but I prefer the Arkose. Wouldn’t use a 29er MTB as suspension is not required and the forks will get eaten unless serviced regularly. This is for a 15/20 mile commute each way along canal tow tow path, sustrans old railway line and shitty Sheffield roads.

Only used the MTB in the snow the other month.

tjagain

Alfines are great for commutting.  Personally a hybridised MTB for me – I want flat bars, disc brakes and an alfine.  Forks are good for crappy Edinburgh roads and my mid market ones are still 100% after 3 years all year round commutting.  annual oil change tho

tjagain

I also use conti protection tyres – no punctures despite pulling a dozen bits of glass out of them every year

loxy
    Free Member

Just had a carbon tiagra gt grade from the Rutland Cycles sale was £1094 delivered including cycle to work fee (my works CTW is through Halfords), they’ve got a variety of alloy/carbon models in stock varying in price; quick ride round the block and it seems good! Hopefully get a proper ride in on the weekend.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What bike for commuting…’ is closed to new replies.