Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What bike for a first-timer?
  • rascal
    Free Member

A mate of mine is considering getting his first MTB – budget £1.5-2k.

One of the first things he’s asked is what wheel size to go with – which I can’t honestly answer myself. I’m personally quite happy with 27.5 but admit I haven’t tried 29 – he’s 5′ 7″ if that’s of any relevance.

I’ve suggested FS and 130mm travel but that covers off a huge amount of actual bikes regardless of brand.

He could buy new, discounted or second hand. He could obviously go in at a lower price point but might then be looking to offload that soon if he gets bitten by the bug.
    I have a Whyte T130rs that I think is great and could be a contender for him too.

Anything that ticks the boxes, and preferably a lot of bang for his buck?

richmtb

Whyte s150 for £1900 at Winstanley?

Plenty of bike for most of us

I’m looking at one myself

funkmasterp

I’d be buying second hand HT, probably 29er, as my first bike. If he doesn’t end up getting in to it he won’t lose much selling it on.

mechanicaldope

Thats a heck of a budget for a 1st mtb…

mehr
    Free Member

I’d go for 27.5 at 5’7. If as you say the RS is a contender head over to pinkbike, RS looks good or filter it from £1200-£2000 and take your pick

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tell him to spend less and learn from what he buys, then spunk £2K

He’s never going to buy the perfect first bike.

rascal
    Free Member

How about the new look Calibre Bossnut at £1100?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

stumpy st alu. Sell well second hand, sorted bike. Or Lt if he’s a bit rad and tthat

johnw1984
    Free Member

There’s a nice medium T130 in the classifieds. You can get a very nice bike second hand if you’re willing to look around and be patient.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What bike for a first-timer?’ is closed to new replies.