Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What Bike for?
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

In the shed I have
    Gravel bike + 650b and 700c wheelsets
    Carbon Road bike
    Rigid 27.5+ mountain bike for offroad bikepacking

I am looking for something to fill in a gap…. winter road bike come summer road bikepacking/touring that can handle canal path/light offroad. Big tyres, full guards, open frame that can fit bags and bottles.

Initially I was looking at the Bombtrack Audax. I like the look, the idea it can handle a bit of rough etc.

Now I am looking at a Cube Nuroad Race FE…. its a huge spec for the money, GRX is a plus, dyno hub, fitted guards, big tyre clearance, full time lights front and rear, all for £1500.
    Its looking hard to beat, but want to check if I`m missing something?

Anything to beat the Cube?

citizenlee
    Free Member

I have the base model 2018 Nuroad with a few aftermarket upgrades. It’s a very comfortable bike which rides really well on the road and really comes alive on gravel, farm tracks, woodland paths etc. It can handle light trails too, although I did destroy the stock wheelset on mine and replaced them with a set of Mavic Allroads which I now treat a bit more lightly.

However, I’d ask does you current gravel bike not already fit the bill for what you’re after?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Put the hub dynamo and guards on your gravel bike? Or in other words, ‘what’s wrong with your existing gravel bike’ ? 😉

*edit, ah beaten to the punch.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I’d ask does you current gravel bike not already fit the bill for what you’re after?

Not really, the 1x gearing is the main sticking point. I could swap out the chainset for loaded bikepacking but don’t really want to be doing that. I also don’t want it fitted out with guards and used for as a winter road bike either.

citizenlee
    Free Member

In that case the FE seems ideal then!

trailwagger
    Free Member

In that case the FE seems ideal then!

It does, so much so that if I could of found one in stock yesterday I would of hit the button.

There is a Bergamont in a “marmite” gold colour that looks so similar I wouldn’t be surprised if they are Cube by a different name.

So, back to the drawing board, looking for an alternative.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://road.cc/content/review/cube-nuroad-race-fe-269973 sounds quite good, until I read it only has clearance for 40mm tyres, someone on here said the Nuroad from a year or two ago had clearance for 45mm tyres.

trailwagger
    Free Member

https://road.cc/content/review/cube-nuroad-race-fe-269973 sounds quite good, until I read it only has clearance for 40mm tyres, someone on here said the Nuroad from a year or two ago had clearance for 45mm tyres.

IMO if you need bigger than 40mm on a bike like that then you are on the wrong bike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What Bike for?’ is closed to new replies.