Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • what bench top power supply?
  • Premier Icon zilog6128

For electronics hobbying. Probably time to get a proper one as have just struggled along rummaging for random wall adapters or cobbling stuff together up until now 🤣 No idea though what to look for or what features are handy, or if it’s worth paying more for said features?
    This one on Amazon seems to get decent reviews and is a fair bit cheaper than the equivalent basic one from RS. https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-Digital-Adjustable-Switching-Regulated-Alligator/dp/B07L3K5952/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=bench%2Bpower%2Bsupply&qid=1614682903&sr=8-11&th=1
    But I think it might be handy occasionally to have more than one output, something like this from RS looks pretty nifty as it has 2 variable outputs and a dedicated 5v or 3.3v output which could be good for Pi/Arduino stuff?
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/bench-power-supplies/1808785/
    Or this random one again from Amazon which has also has 3 outputs, seems to get good reviews, but obviously is a bit of an unknown quantity! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linear-Supply-Variable-Output-0-100V/dp/B00PS5HAPA/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=bench+power+supply+dual+output&qid=1614683629&sr=8-5
    Budget not really set, don’t want to spend more than I need really but probably won’t buy one again so want to get it right!

Premier Icon bigginge

This one looks like it is pretty much the same as the RS one but a fair bit cheaper (though you do loose the screw binding posts on the front).

https://uk.farnell.com/tenma/72-13310/dc-power-supply-3ch-adj-fixed/dp/2848409

Or there is this one which is a bit less again.

https://uk.farnell.com/tenma/72-10495/power-supply-2ch-30v-5a-adjustable/dp/2251947

Normally I would say keep an eye out for second hand TTi units on ebay but it looks like there are pretty slim pickings up there at the moment, so might not be such good advice if you would like to have something in your hands soon.

Premier Icon footflaps

We always used to make our own in the 80s. Transformer, bridge rectifier, some massive elctrolytic caps and a few regulators (7805, 7905, can’t recall what the variable voltage ones were) all in a metal box. The process would normally involve half a dozen mains shocks and welding a screwdriver to the contacts of one of the elctrolytics.

Premier Icon stumpy01

No help OP, but a benchtop power supply popped up on a Facebook selling page a couple of days ago for £15.
    It was a Thandar 0-30v 2A device.
    I contacted the seller as soon as I saw it (same reason as you – hobby stuff) and it had already been sold. Gutted!

Premier Icon towpathman

Try rapidonline. We use them at work, good enough for most stuff (depending on what you are doing!)

Premier Icon thenorthwind

Since you’re not averse to tinkering, have you thought about adapting a computer PSU? It already has 12/5/3.3V and some protection built-in. I stuck a switch, power LED and some terminals on the case of one for occasional hobby stuff.

Premier Icon zilog6128

This one looks like it is pretty much the same as the RS one but a fair bit cheaper (though you do loose the screw binding posts on the front).

yeah it’s obviously a generic unit (hopefully decent quality though!) although looking at the spec sheets the RS one is a slightly more advanced model that includes USB & network interfaces… for remote control of the output? Doesn’t actually say in the manual!!

We always used to make our own in the 80s.

yeah, have been looking at a few projects online for making them from old computer PSUs, probably got most of what I need lying around, but time spent making tools is less time spent using them! Plus it will probably always be a bit crappy 😂

Since you’re not averse to tinkering, have you thought about adapting a computer PSU? It already has 12/5/3.3V and some protection built-in. I stuck a switch, power LED and some terminals on the case of one for occasional hobby stuff.

EDIT: posted the above before seeing your comment! Yeah, I’ve actually used a PC PSU before for a Pi project, to provide 240v, 12v and 5v, and still have a couple of the cheap boards left that I bought which have banana plug connectors on and the PSU connector plugs into. May go down that route but fancied something ‘proper’ tbh! 😀

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

It’s worth getting something proper if you are tinkering. Having good current control, a nice voltage display and short circuit protection is useful. All of those you link to seem fine. I don’t think you need multiple outputs but it might be handy occasionally. I got mine from Maplin in a sale, so not very helpful to you. One useful feature it has though is that the supply is off until you enable the output. Handy when you turn it on and forgot it’s already plugged into something else.

Premier Icon jam-bo

I got mine from Maplin in a sale, so not very helpful to you. One useful feature it has though is that the supply is off until you enable the output. Handy when you turn it on and forgot it’s already plugged into something else.

I think I have a similar one to that at work. its a handy feature until there is a power cut and your stuff won’t power on again until someone goes and physically presses a button.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer

Mine’s the Korad KA3005D 0-30V 5A one that’s sold under several different brands. One of the Farnell links above seems to be double version (ie 2 of them stuck together!).
    Deffo shop around since each brand will have different prices for the same thing, and different connectors (mine has termonal posts that you can plug in 4mm things, but other variants only have 4mm sockets)

Does the job. Being able to vary voltage (needed 9V for something) is handy, unlike bodging an old PC PSU. Overcurrent/Overvoltage protection is handy too.

Next purchase is an oscilloscope. Some pretty capable ones out there now at hobby prices.

Premier Icon footflaps

Next purchase is an oscilloscope. Some pretty capable ones out there now at hobby prices.

Quite staggering how much things have changed over the years.

When they all had proper CRTs they were quite expensive, now they bang out LCDs ones in China for pennies.

Premier Icon leffeboy

Or you even get usb ones now where your lappie is the display. Far cry from the solartron valve job I used to have

Liking the idea of a bench top supply actually. Would save a lot of faff with old adapters as mentioned

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.