Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what bb for race face deus cranks?
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

these crank arms on crc
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40782

anybody know what BB they are? I guess they aren’t good ol’ square taper? So must be ISIS….but it doesn’t seem to say.

druidh
    Free Member

Just HTII, ain’t they? If so, a RaceFace, Shimano or Hope BB would all fit.

Hadge
    Free Member

Deus are HT2

neilnevill
    Free Member

Why does it describe them as having, ‘ Crank bolt puller cap makes crank removal a snap with just an 8mm hex wrench.’ then? is that not a self extracting bolt? That’s why I was thiking square taper or ISIS

d45yth
    Free Member

Why does it describe them as having, ‘ Crank bolt puller cap makes crank removal a snap with just an 8mm hex wrench.’ then?

Because that’s exactly what you can do. One crank arm has an axle that goes through the BB and the other arm bolts into the end of it.

sebgt
    Free Member

If your looking to buy those off CRC, they come with a BB, A silver RaceFace Deus one, bought a set before Christmas, good cranks but heel clearance of the drive side where the self extracting bolt is ain’t brilliant

neilnevill
    Free Member

okay, seems an odd way of describing the HT2 system, just confused me. maybe I’m easily confused tonight

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ahh, they come with a BB, hmm, HT2 makes them compatible with my other bikes and if they come with a BB they aren’t a bad deal…hmm

(after a catastrophic snapping of the spesh forearm crank on the Single speed last night I need new cranks. I also have spare Un54 BBs for the above mentioned, now defunct cranks…hence the question….and yes…SSing gives thighs of steel that snap crank arms it seems 😯 )

Onzadog
    Free Member

HTII is Shimanos name but these are a through axle design that is compatible with and supplied with an external cup bottom bracket.

Edit. Normally they come with an x-type bottom bracket but I’m not sure those bare cranks do. Any HTII style bb will work from hope, shimano, raceface etc.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Okay its not ‘HTII’ for legal purposes…but it isn’t mega exo or any other similar but not the same size as ‘HTII’…it IS the same size as ‘HTII’

hmm
    it’s these for a bit of bling, or its the SLX triple for the same price which comes with rings…..hmm….rings can go in the spares bin for a bit….but bling is bling after all….hmmm

Onzadog
    Free Member

Personally, I’d go slx.

neilnevill
    Free Member

it is difficult to beat shimano really. I just sort of fancy a bit of something different….once rings are accounted for they are much more, and no better…just a bit more blingy.

head says SLX. Heart says RF Deus currently.

kevolution
    Free Member

Hi Neil, not seen much of you since the old MTB-Wales days. The Deus are good cranks, but there are some caveats to consider. The fitting method is one that requires facing much more than a Shimano chainset, as you don’t have as much control over preload. This is because the drveside crankarm needs to fully engage on the ISIS splines, but only has a tolerance of about 1mm in the preload washers to prevent excessive side loading of the full complement bearings they use in the BB.
    I generally assemble the BB in the frame, measure across the ID thru the BB shell, assemble the crank and measure the exposed axle with the preload washers in place, and look to face the BB shell to get the BB to 1mm wider than the axle so the take up under compression when fitting minimises side load in the BB bearings.
    I think this is even more important for use on a SS, as the forces are amplified and if the crank doesn’t bottom out on the splines, and the BB sideload wears the tracks, it’ll allow the driveside arm to wallow the splines and basically render it useless.

If I wanted to fit a SS crank on a 68mm shell, I’d have a look at Shimano DXR. This BMX spec crank will work far better in SS applications.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Cheers Kev,
    no….living in London has restricted my visits to South Wales rather 🙁

The new cranks will probably go on the Ti456 and the old HT2 Lx ones on there get fitted to the maxlight (the unicogger). I’ve never bothered facing the 456…Ti is a bit tough on facing tools isn’t it?
    the maxlight is faced though.

right….next decision….triple at 100 or double and bash at 110….for th e456 it has to be double and bash really doesn’t it….right, thanks for the help

BTW Kev, those Lyriks came back today. service sheet says ‘marks on the stanchion are ghosting in the anodising. CSU replaced due to creaking’ Sounds like an excuse to me, but they’ve replaced the CSU, so all is well.
    Neil

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what bb for race face deus cranks?’ is closed to new replies.