Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What bank
  • anagallis_arvensis

Been with smile for over 10 years and whilst they were great they are now dog shite.
    Looking for interweb banking, a savings account for a few grand and a credit card.
    Would need a current account with about £1000 overdraft limit and a credit card with money back rather than low intrest as its paid off each month.
    I would also like some nice morals and ethics if possible. Thinking nationwide??

prawny

I’m happy with first direct, don’t know what their morals though, I wouldnt hold out much hope. Been with them 13+years and they’ve been great. Got our Mortgage and car loan with them too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tesco.

Cougar

Best bank for customer service: First Direct (though I think their overdraft is only £250).

Best credit card: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/ (you don’t have to get a CC from your bank, remember).

Morals and ethics: Co-Op Bank.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Morals and ethics: Co-Op Bank.

Well, now Paul Flowers has left, maybe……

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Handelsbanken.
    A swedish bank that has a few hundred branches in this country. It’s run the old fashioned way; if you want a loan you polish your shoes and go and see the manager…

A few months ago I’d have recommended the Co-op but it’s website is shite, and the sharks are circling. It’s unlikely to keep it’s ethics intact.
    Credit Card – Aqua. 0.5% cahsback on purchases. I have an idea Tesco may be higher , but in vouchers.

anagallis_arvensis

Co op and smile are the same. I imagine co op are now just as shite..

Its just easier if credit card is same as bank. Log on to one thing and get it done.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyway,

Flemings or Hoare’s.

Obviously.

Cougar

Its just easier if credit card is same as bank. Log on to one thing and get it done.

I can’t offhand think of a banking transaction that would require me to access both accounts at the same time. About the only way it’s “easier” is you need to remember one password instead of two.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Its just easier if credit card is same as bank.

Not necessarily. A few years back Co-op’s systems went down the day before the missus’s birthday….
    An alternative source of funds would have spared more than a little grief.

matt_outandabout

Been with smile for over 10 years and whilst they were great they are now dog shite.

15 years here.
    Left to M&S, got £250, and a website that works and help team that seem to help.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Nationwide. Switched from Coop a while back and its at least some way removed from the practices of Barlays, HSBC et al.

Decent rates on cashback Credit Card and savings too if you’re bothered about that kind of thing…

Northwind

I just moved to TSB. Not especially ethical or anything but they had a good switcher deal, good return on credit balances in my current account, they do a cashback on chip n pin (which I don’t really use, but still) and their internet banking is basically sound and not filled with random embuggerment that just inconveniences you but is supposed to make you feel more secure (it’s all just the Bank of Scotland systems with the serial numbers filed off).

Like everyone else they’re closing branches so that’s kind of a pain, but I don’t often need to go to a branch anyway.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped to first direct from RBS. Not had long enough to figure out the morals bit but things certainly seem to work well and the 24/7 phone line is excellent.

mt
    Free Member

This lot are about to set up internet based banking with a current account.

https://www.triodos.com/en/about-triodos-bank/

DrJ

first direct have been left behind by the internet thing – too many missing functions from their website (SWIFT transfers, search for transactions meeting given criteria, bulk download of statements etc.). And now the telephone service has become a bit hit and miss too. I’m still with them, though, as I suspect others are even worse.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

I used to have a Triodos account until I found out about the whacky Anthroposophical ideals of its founders…

That and the shit interest rates!

johnners
    Free Member

Nationwide. Cashback credit card that’s good for foreign use, 5% fixed on up to £2500 in current account (first year only), 5% (for now) regular saver that takes £500pm. £1000 overdraft might be a thing, I don’t think there’s an automatic overdraft at all on the current account so you’ll have to apply for it. The app is decent though I think they push a card reader for online banking.

nickc

I’m happy with first direct, don’t know what their morals though

owned by HSBC…Highly Suspect Business Corporation

eyestwice
    Free Member

Handelsbanken.Atom for savings.

dmck16
    Free Member

It was a toss up between TSB and Nationwide a few months ago.

TSB just edged it.

allyharp

Having used Halifax, Santander and RBS I’d say RBS has the best online and mobile banking of those 3 by far. Though you do often need a plastic card reader to add a new payee which is a total pita.

I can’t recommend the Halifax Clarity credit card highly enough if you travel regularly though.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The golden combination of current accounts and credit cards for us is currently:

Santander 123 for interest on up to 20K and cashback on the DDs.
    Set up all DDs from this a/c

Nationwide FlexPlus for the package account benefits (Breakdown, phone & travel insurance for £120 per year). Make it a joint a/c so that you’re both covered.

Barclaycard VISA & Amex CC for cashback on all spend. All UK spending except the DDs goes on this.
    (Under review as they’ve dropped the cashback to 0.5% on both cards so will be looking for a better one)

Halifax Clarity CC for all overseas spend and overseas cash withdrawals.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What bank’ is closed to new replies.