What Baby Seat?

Home Forum Bike Forum What Baby Seat?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What Baby Seat?
  • jodafett

I’ve just bought a Hamax Siesta which seems fine to me. It has a recline function if the wee one falls asleep, which my daughter did 5mins into the first ride. Before I reclined it her head had dropped forward, so on a longer journey it might be a bit uncomfortable without this function. Also the seat doesn’t sit on panniers it uses a bracket that flexes a little as you hit bumps so imo it makes for a smoother ride for the child.

Get a Bobike for the FRONT. Way better than any rear seat. Good view for the nipper, and you can interact/monitor. Who wants to stare at anyones’ arsecrack?

tonyd

Get a mid-mounted seat, WeeRide Kangaroo is ace.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Weeride kangaroo.

tonyd

First three answers = three totally different answers!!!

FIGHT!

FunkyDunc

++++ 1 Weeride.

My son has now outgrown his, and he really misses it!

In fact I really need to sell it.

IMO the Bobikes are better than the Weerides for a number of reasons:
    * No artificial extra crossbar
    * Easier to remove/remount,and can swap from bike to bike with extra (unobtrusive) mounts
    * Child moves with the bars, less danger of bars hurting the nipper
    * Can easily carry seat in a Pannier when riding to collect nipper from childcare.

We’ve ridden allsorts with the Bobike, from cyclepaths to Make or Brake and Caddon Bank. On Sunday our wee lad (2 & 1/2) was shouting “This is FUN!” as we flew down Glenvale in the Lomonds. I’m a bit worried he is fearless.

brakes

in typical bike forum fashion, I’m going to recommend the one I’ve got!!
    Weeeeride!!!!

yunki

I think I’m not gonna recommend the one I’ve got..

co-pilot limo

It’s pretty good and all that and has excellent safety features and reviews.. but it’s mounted on a very solid pannier rack and so gives a very harsh ride for the nipper..

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

So, tonight after being reminded that I owed mrs k a birthday present, I’ve bought her a Spec Vita and we need a baby seat (10 month old) to go on the back.

Any recommendations or are they all much of a muchness?

tonyd

I’d agree that the mounting bar on the weeride is a bit of a pain, not easy to get on and off. We just left it fitted to an old HT that was in the shed, if I had to keep taking it on/off I’d have been fed up.

Both mine went through the weeride and didn’t come close to getting hurt by the bars turning. If anything they like holding on to them.

One very good thing with the weeride is the big thing in front of the seat, great for them to hold onto, rest arms (stops them grabbing your knees!), and fall asleep on.

Edit: Another positive for the weeride – little’un sits mid way along the top tube so the bike is well balance. Friends fitted theirs to a full susser which gave a nice plush ride!

TiRed

CoPilot Limo and Blackburn rack. Top quality, easily removed. Still have ours and my youngest turned 13 today!

carlosg

Another weeride user here . Son no1 loved it then we sold it just before son no2 was conceived (6 year gap) the weeride was replaced by a centric safe haven , essentially the same thing but with a cheaper cross brace. Son no2 loves it too and they can be picked up cheaper 2nd hand than the weeride.

Yes, the weeride is great! Here follows a shameless showing off of my daughter on a weeride…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guPRNJ2wVAQ[/video]

rhbrhb

We’re looking at options, so tuning in, ta.

bigG

I looked at a weeride, but because I’m a half pint I couldn’t fit it and then get on the bike without crushing our little one as I leaned forward. The bike is small and so am I.

We went for an ibert as it sits further forwards and is easy to fit / remove. Our little un loves it as she’s much more involved in the whole experience and can drink from my camel back if she’s thirsty.

One other thing if using a front seat, I found it really hard to mount the bike until I fitted a reverb which allowed me to lower the saddle, get on and then get the saddle up to a decent height. The least Rad use for a reverb yet I suspect..

Premier Icon sheepdip71
    Subscriber

The Weeride looks superb. I have had a co pilot limo & the Topeak version which both sit on a rack & are easily interchangeable but looking at the video of the weeride the massive bonus is the interaction you can have with the little one.

scottyjohn

+1 Hamax siesta been a great seat

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

We went for the BoBike, its worked out well so thanks for the advice.

Premier Icon tomfun
    Subscriber

how do the bobikes attach? Do they bolt on to the spacers underneath your stem? If so, how much clearance do you need?

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

You need to remove some spacers under the stem – approx 20mm – an the clamp goes in that space. The seat then just slots in.

Premier Icon tomfun
    Subscriber

So remove spacers, install clamp and then fit stem and do up star nut as normal? I like the idea of this as I can fit it to my nice bike!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What Baby Seat?’ is closed to new replies.