• This topic has 69 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • What ‘attainable’ dream bike would you have if you had a few quid spare
  • Obviously ‘attainable’ has different parameters for different people, but if I can ever afford it, I just keep coming back to this. What’s yours?

Although, a Pinion geared bike may take over in the lust stakes

tails
    Free Member

Epic evo decked out with full xtr and 2 sets of wheels.

ElShalimo

Adult sized Raleigh Grifter

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ogden
    Free Member

Hope HB130 always comes to mind

weeksy

Specialized Demo to give to my boy. Fox 49s etc

joebristol

One of those Atherton 150mm trail / enduro ish frames. Although I’d go custom geometry and slacken the head angle a bit / shorten the seat tube / slightly lengthen the chainstays. Essentially replicating my Transition Sentinel alloy geometry but with a slightly longer reach and a bit light. All my build kit would swap over fine onto it.

sharkattack

I just want to live somewhere with mountains, lifts and quality trails. Then I’ll happily ride any crappy bike I can get my hands on.

The best bike on earth would just be a dust collector in my garage on Plague Island.

ta11pau1

You know what, I think I’ve pretty much got my attainable 2x dream MTB garage already.

That’s a pinion gearbox, belt drive titanium 150mm hardtail, with carbon wheels, and a Geometron G1 with carbon wheels, wireless shifting, and probably the best suspension out there (within a reasonable budget).

The only thing I’d change is an upgrade to tech 4’s on the hardtail and a 240mm Rockshox Reverb AXS, if it ever comes into existence.

Yep, looking pretty spot on there @ta11pau1

mrhoppy

Forbidden Druid, to be honest after demoing them last week I’m trying to make it happen anyway.

tomhoward

*looks in garage*

Yeah, them. Will probably ditch the fast road bike, mind.

Be a couple of years before I start shopping for bikes/frames again. But it’ll probably be an Atherton AM170, based on what’s available now.

dudeofdoom

Hope HB130 always comes to mind

Yep I did find a reasonably priced frame in the eu unfortunately only in a M and I’m 6ft 1.8inches, probably be a terrible mistake to get it , nothing worse than buying a nice frame as it was a fantastic offer but too small 🙁

dudeofdoom

I just want to live somewhere with mountains, lifts and quality trails

Don’t forget beaches, you want beaches.

This afternoons ride pic,I’m still in love with the 3T an have definately got my moneys worth from the frameset.

Bike

Onzadog
    Free Member

My eye is constantly drawn to the Transition Spur and typically only turned by the Sentinel.

dudeofdoom

I did also have to ride over a mountain, I’d probably recommend getting a house on the beach side thou,sometimes you just want a pootle 🙁

I’ve my eye on the new 3t Racemax frames and the hope 130 but I’ve also got a urge for a sur-ron.

Montan

hairyscary

An Ancillotti, because I’ve always wanted one.
    Although I’m not sure how you actually attain one.

crazy-legs

An absolutely top end road bike – off the shelf it’d probably be a Specialized Aethos or Tarmac* with full Dura Ace, couple of sets of wheels.

But I’d want to live somewhere worth riding it like southern Spain or the Alps. Switzerland has pristine roads, that’d be high up the list.

* I know, it’s not exactly imaginative…

scotroutes

Cannondale Topstone Lefty – but I’d have to fix the gearing too.

roballison

Starling murmur trail

ampthill

Due to some good luck recently I could buy a posh bike. But so far haven’t felt the urge

But not worrying about the price of tyres, cassette etc. is priceless

But if I do get the urge I’ll be looking at Argetheton 130

funkmasterp

My eye is constantly drawn to the Transition Spur

another vote for the Spur, a Starling Beady Little Eye with gears, Kingdom Void or an Orange Stage Evo. Basically a nice short travel 29er would be my dream bike.

breadcrumb

Geometron G1 or the Hope 916 have both caught my eye.

More than happy with my AM9 right now.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Me exactly Funkmasterp!
    Currently looking at a Cotic Flaremax but a little worried about the weight!
    Regards,
    Max.

ajantom

I don’t think (currently) I would replace my Stooge Mk4. It’s an amaxing bike 😎

Hmmm, maybe one in Ti?

However, if funds allowed I’d add a few bits – a Kindernay gearbox hub and maybe some Cane Creek Ti cranks spring to mind 😁

Northwind

I nearly did it but the pandemic put paid to it- I love my Trek Remedy 29 but it’s a little short, a little steep, and can’t take a really long dropper. Best rear suspension I’ve ever had. So I was looking at getting a new front triangle built to update all the bits I don’t like but keep the rear end. The bits I have on it are already pretty superb so that’d make for a sensible everyday superbike.

funkmasterp

Me exactly Funkmasterp!
    Currently looking at a Cotic Flaremax but a little worried about the weight!

Had a Flare for a while. One of the older 650b not Max versions. Didn’t get on with it tbh but think it was more to do with the X-Fusion Fork and shock. Just felt a bit dead.

jimmy748

Another +1 for a Spur.

zerocool

Probably a Curtis hardtail

fazzini

I just want to live somewhere with mountains, lifts and quality trails. Then I’ll happily ride any crappy bike I can get my hands on.

This ^. Posh bikes are wasted on me and my utter lack of fitness, balance, courage or talent.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Tora EVH for updated nostalgia. Their e-stay hardtail looks awesome as well.

temudgin

I’d like a Sturdy Cycles Tara. Top bit of bling.

tomhoward

Be interested to see which bikes turn up with a Lal Supre Drive too, other than Nicolai.

Or a wider range gearbox Trinty/WRP bike

chiefgrooveguru

I’d just like more time to ride the ones I have – in between running my own business, having three small children and a wife I like to spend time with, and now trying to get another band going, there isn’t enough time left for enough MTBing. I’m having to become one of those weirdos who gets up early to get a proper ride in before work and turns up covered in mud!

Also I’m a big fan of rocky natural trails and there’s not enough of that in SE England, so more time to visit them would be good. Just time please!

If I had the time (and space) then I’d probably want to add a middling travel 29” full-sus to fit between my 160/157mm e-full-sus and my 160/0mm singlespeed hardtail. Something aluminium (or steel) with 160mm up front, 130-140mm out back, similar geometry to my Moxie (long) and with space for a long dropper post and big water bottle. Maybe something that can mullet happily for uplift days. No idea what though, need more time to enjoy my two lovely bikes!

Northwind

Oh yeah, I want a titanium fatbike. Not for any good reason, my alu fatbike is fab (and glows in the dark, which is frickin awesome), I just like looking at titanium more. Like, I could walk across teh room right now and go oooooooooooh, titanium. And it’d add like +7 to my beardiness stat.

kayak23

Probably one of these here Coals. Really like it.

ayjaydoubleyou

Attainable in that it exists, would come to double (at least) what my current bike cost.

Last asco
    Top level pike and superdeluxe *
    Hope pro4/reserve 30 rims/berd spokes
    Hope e4
    Full xx1 axs and ax’s reverb.

*everything here could be built by the well funded amateur. But I’m also keen to try the flight attendant set up. Only available on full bikes afaik.

montgomery
    Free Member

Kinda moved beyond this kind of thing nowadays. I’d be quite interested in building up a Fearless Warlock frameset with as many UK components as possible. It’s attainable.

dudeofdoom

This ^. Posh bikes are wasted on me and my utter lack of fitness, balance, courage or talent.

TBH most bikes are wasted on people, if your any good people start giving you them.
    (Or are enough of a social medi fluencer)

If you like the bike and and it makes you happy whilst riding and gets you out on it then it’s a win. It’s the motivational aspect.

HobNob
    Free Member

Between my Spur, Madonna & Rail, I’m pretty happy with all the bases covered for the moment. Waiting patiently for the new Rail to show up with the integrated Bosch system, rather than the stuck on Knox controller, but otherwise, no real desires for anything else leg powered.

I do really want one of these though. This would be fun!

Cheaper than a chunk of ebikes too 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Currently looking at this and trying to figure out what engine would be reliable enough and light enough to build an epic rally bike from.

Figure it fits the criteria as it’s more attainable performance than a CRF450 or CR500 conversion 🤣

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225070177924?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=tCEvroNsR62&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=siifEu7yTsm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.