Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)
  • What are your social anxieties…?
  • DrP

Following on from the ‘prices in a bar’ thread, I’ll start…

Miserable I know, but I hate the idea of ’rounds’…

Me and a mate – fine; I’ll get some drinks, you get some drinks…happy..

A big group; why should it be that anyone going to the bar has to offer “anyone want a drink”…?! You might end up with 8 drink requests, you might end up with none. What if I just want a few drinks, but the rest of the group are set up for a bender…?!
    Arhhh… Let’s play a game – It’s called get a drink if you want one, but don’t if you don’t…..!

DrP

bencooper
    Free Member

I am basically one big ball of social anxiety.

scotroutes

Mine is getting to a bar with a bunch of students in front of me each only buying their own drink instead of ordering a round and not having the guts to tell them to nob off.

IanMunro
    Free Member

OP, that’s not a social anxiety, that’s just being tight 😀

wwaswas

I am basically one big ball of social anxiety.

+1

that and talking to people in any environment with background noise – I can’t pick out what they’re saying from the other noise.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

For some reason i end up getting drunk and buying far more drinks for people than i get back, and end up wondering why my wallet is empty the next morning! 😡

DrP

Nah, it’s not only about the money, it’s the whole concept that makes me uncomfortable.
    Plus, TBH spending money on booze is a whopping waste of cash. I’ll do it every now and then, but there’s a million and one things I’d rather splash out on.
    For example, I’d rather take a group out for a meal and treat them to that, than buy endless rounds…

DrP

IanMunro
    Free Member

The only social anxiety I have is other people. Remove them from any social situation and I’m fine.

pondo

that and talking to people in any environment with background noise – I can’t pick out what they’re saying from the other noise.

I struggle with that! Hate a noisy pub, and I never go to clubs – just can’t hear what people are saying.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I live in fear of succumbing to a social anxiety… It’s ruining my life.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hey Yorkshire89, want to go for a pint?

*leaves wallet at home*

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Never buy rounds unless it’s a Big Night Out.

Personally, I have no social anxieties. Am I normal? I worry and fret about not having anything to worry and fret about, I really do.

IanMunro
    Free Member

For example, I’d rather take a group out for a meal and treat them to that, than buy endless rounds…

You must be going on some serious benders to be buying multiple rounds on a regular basis with a group!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Riding my ridig SS with boingy geardy weirdies – do I overtake them on climbs to keep my momentum and look like an arse only to be passed by them on the flat/decent.

I lose sleep over this and it’s why I mostly ride alone (that and having no friends anyway!)

10pmix
    Free Member

Not being able to hear in clubs is just a sign of age 😀 . It never used to be a problem but now I’m 40 it’s just impossible.

The other night in a club I had the most ridiculous conversation with a young lady (ahem) whereby I could only hear about half of what she was saying. I made her shout so loud that my ear went pop and I was beset by tinnitus! We then both agreed it wasn’t worth carrying on and she walked off.

Perhaps my wife has secretly implanted something in my ears that trips at the sound of a young female voice 😯

yorkshire89
    Free Member

No thanks Jamie, while sober im tigter than a ducks a*se 😛

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s why I put vodka on your cornflakes 😀

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Go on then, i’ll get the first round in…

zilog6128

Plus, TBH spending money on booze is a whopping waste of cash. I’ll do it every now and then, but there’s a million and one things I’d rather splash out on.

And eating out isn’t a whopping waste of cash?! Either way, it’s not like you’re really paying for the beer or the food but the pub/restaurant/staff/etc. If you are too tight to pay for it then go and sit in the park and chat with your friends!

MadPierre

None I can think of though everyone else seems to have them? E.g. the other week someone was playing videos on their phone on the table next to me in the pub and the noise was p*ssing me off and spoiling my quiet drink. I told them to turn it down or use ear phones. Everyone I told this to seemed amazed that I confronted the offender!

dazh

Mine is getting to a bar with a bunch of students in front of me each only buying their own drink instead of ordering a round and not having the guts to tell them to nob off.

I bet they all pay with a cash card too? Boils my p*ss that does.

As for social anxieties, it has been brought to my attention that I can be quite anti-social because I can’t be bothered engaging in meaningless smalltalk with people. It’s not that I can’t do it, I just have no interest in what someone did at the weekend, how their holiday was, how their journey was, whether they’re busy at work etc, because I already know that they probably went out with the family at the weekend, that their holiday was great (even though it probably wasn’t), that the traffic was bad, and that they’re really busy at work.

annebr
    Free Member

I hate noisy places too.

I don’t mind buying rounds though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rounds – I can only drink two pints WTF would i want to do rounds for?
    Adds Dr P to friends list
    Splitting meals – **** off i am veggie and dont drink so I am not paying for your meat and booze. Once went out with a couple [ not swinging mind] and they drank three bottles of wine they insisted we split the bill. Reasoning with them was complicated for me, the manager and the police.
    Greeting- what do you do , grunt and say hello or those faux showbiz kisses?
    Low cut tops – they want you to look but you are never meant to be caught looking

Selled
    Free Member

A friend of mine hat a solution to this, but I have not yet seen it implemented. Special dukebox in a pub – pop in some cash and you buy minutes of silence – no music played. Lets say – 20p buys you no music for a minute

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Accidentally meeting someone from STW when out and about. Usually have to give a fake name if anyone asks, I’m so worried about it.

weeksy

Splitting meals – **** off i am veggie and dont drink so I am not paying for your meat and booze. Once went out with a couple [ not swinging mind] and they drank three bottles of wine they insisted we split the bill. Reasoning with them was complicated for me, the manager and the police

Adds Junky to Ignore / unfriend list.

bencooper
    Free Member

Accidentally meeting someone from STW when out and about. Usually have to give a fake name if anyone asks, I’m so worried about it.

Meeting anyone off a forum is odd – “Hello, I’m Woblywib37”. That’s why I always just use my name.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Oh, mine is seeing people from old workplaces/school/college that I wasn’t mates with at the time. If i spot them in the street i pretend I’m looking at something in a shop window etc so I don’t have to speak to them!

Another is presenting in front of people, never been a fan of that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

breathes sigh of relief at avoiding a free loader who wants me to pay for some of their meal/drink – I bet it saves us an argument about tipping as well 😉

MadPierre

Junkyard – lazarus

Rounds – I can only drink two pints WTF would i want to do rounds for?

To get your alcohol tolerance up? Ya light weight! 😉

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Not splitting meals drives me nuts. If I’m out with friends, we will always split the bill whatever. I cannot stand people who get their phone out and start totting up what they’ve ordered, I find it cheap and embarrassing. I know that next time I’ll have a few glasses of wine or a more expensive dinner than them and it’ll even itself up.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Woblywib37

LOL

weeksy

Junkyard – lazarus
    breathes sigh of relief at avoiding a free loader who wants me to pay for some of their meal/drink – I bet it saves us an argument about tipping as well

Mate if you were that ridiculous about the bill and tipping i’d just pay it all and move on…. lifes too short 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was hasty perhaps we could go for a meal and discuss it 8)

weeksy

Junkyard – lazarus
    I was hasty perhaps we could go for a meal and discuss it

Come over to mine, i’ve got an Iceberg lettuce here with your name on it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Mate if you were that ridiculous about the bill and tipping i’d just pay it all and move on…. lifes too short

^This.

I’ve made up the difference before when someones argued that they only had this or that and shouldn’t be paying this much. Funnily enough, I don’t go out for dinner with them again.

40mpg

I have a real problem remembering names and faces. Apparently there is some sort of ‘ism’ regarding this but its more likely I just can’t be bothered subconsciously.

However it is regularly embarrassing as most people I have previously met just think I am ignoring them.

Sometimes it backfires though and I start conversations with people I’ve never met before.

Other than being socially awkward, it can be a real problem when I have to attend professional functions for work. Thankfully they don’t send me to many now, and I generally turn down invites unless there’s a really good after dinner speaker (another Phil Tuffnell has just landed on my desk – thats a no then!)

binners

I suspect Hora and Junky going out for a meal and a few drinks would end up as the most painfully prolonged, argumentative, dissection of a bill in the history of mankind 😉

I’ve made up the difference before when someones argued that they only had this or that and shouldn’t be paying this much. Funnily enough, I don’t go out for dinner with them again.

Yip. And in my experience Its always the ones on the highest salaries, with the biggest, Germanist cars, dressed head to toe in designer gear, who chip in with “but I didn’t have any garlic bread…..”

strokers!

thepurist

40mph – prosopagnosia is the proper term for ‘face blindness’, but I suspect that your 2nd explanation may be more true.

Loud music/inaudible conversations, over-orderers who then split the bill, inane smalltalk… where do I sign up to the grumpy old man club?

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Greeting- what do you do , grunt and say hello or those faux showbiz kisses?

Yeah actually. I thought I didn’t have anything to add to this thread but greeting people and leaving can be a bit of a chore/dilemma.

With my wifes family you have to go and give everyone a hug & kiss or handshake every time you go round or leave. Such a bloody palava. Fair enough if it’s just whoever opens the door or people you haven’t seen for a while but we probably see them at least twice a week and it’s the entire room. I swear that with people coming and going, it must be at least 10% of the time spent giving stupid hugs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘What are your social anxieties…?’ is closed to new replies.