Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • what are your favourite movies that not a lot of people have heard of?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

gab344 – Premier Member

Brazil – 1985 Terry Gilliam somehow gets Robert De Niro at the pinnacle of his acting career, and then sticks him in a balaclava so he is unrecognisable for 95% of the movie.. genius

Word has it that Deniro's entrance (through the window into the flat) took two takes only, and that was because he did it perfectly first time WITHOUT REHEARSAL but the crew were so gobsmacked, the sound recordist forgot to point the microphone at him…

Anyways, my inclusion to the list is:

"Synecdoche: New York". Charlie Kaufman's first screenplay AND direction. A work of towering genius. Don't die without seeing it.

sofaking
    Free Member

– 1 for the fountain, i thought it was drivel

cranberry
    Free Member

Welcome To Woop Woop

The main character has just woken up after getting knocked out, drugged and married.

NOTE: Contains grown up words.

verses

Judgement Night seems to remain relatively unheard of, killer soundtrack too

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Waking Life
    A Scanner Darkly

ooOOoo – Member
    Anyone mentioned La Haine?

Great film. I watched this just before going to Paris for a weekend, and lo, there WERE great riots. French riot police, not the friendliest bunch!

Oh, and Judgement Night soundtrack…Man I forgot about that. I think I have it on CD somewhere!

Kiril
    Free Member

Station Agent-Surprised no-one else has mentioned it (maybe because not a lot of people…)

tang
    Free Member

'salaam bombay', forget slumdog.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

saving grace
    short circuit
    super high me
    +1 belleville rendezvous
    +1 hardware
    deadman
    short cuts
    the straight story
    man on a wire
    waltz with bashir

kimbers

the keep

michael mann does horror its a messy film but i love it, if only i could find a decent copy or even a dvd let alone a remastered version

kimbers

Judgement Night seems to remain relatively unheard of, killer soundtrack too

the soundtrack is waaaaaaaay better than the movie

kimbers

niko74 good call on…..

A boy and his dog

"she certainly had good tatse" i believe was the final line

noteeth
    Free Member

Solaris, the original russian version. Spooky but not scary.

See also Stalker. Very haunting film… The Return is similarly unsettling.

Red Angel – harrowing, to say the least. I pretty much staggered out of the cinema.

Spring, summer, fall, winter and… spring – lovely.

Carnival of Souls

Koyaanisqatsi

Joe kid on a Stingray 😀

takisawa2

S.F.W

big-chief-96
    Free Member

bedazzled, (for no particular reason other than its got Liz Hurley in it),
    The Invasion and Shade with Silvester Salone (sorry about the spelling)

and a trilogy no-one has ever heard of, The Lord Of The Rings :mrgreen:

nicko74

A Scanner Darkly

Good call! Keanu Reeves puts in his least woody performance for a while.

man on a wire
    waltz with bashir

Seconded.

niko74 good call on…..

A boy and his dog

And thanks 🙂 – it's a bit tricky to track down these days; I got a German DVD (which has an English soundtrack).
    The Counterfeiters, also the Lives of Others.
    The Good the Bad the Weird (loved it)
    Time Crimes
    Primer (quite obscure, made for peanuts, excellent story)
    The Mist
    Time Crimes
    (taken from my lovefilm list)

Ambrose

+1 for Belleville Rendezvous.

And also, Spirited Away.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

bought my girlfriend a random film for Christmas because she likes her foreign films. It was a lucky choice. Underground by Emir Kusturica is possibly one of the best films I have ever seen.

bigG
    Free Member

Cinema Paradiso is the least known film that I keep on coming back to watch, lovely wee film.

Just hearing the opening music almost brings a tear to my eye (in a butch, I've got dust in my eye kind of way obviously).

chilli
    Free Member

Sence of freedom(Jimmy Boyle story)
    Chopper
    McVicar

Not sure what this says about me :?.

CountZero

A few on here I'll +1: Koyaanisqatsi, and its follow-up Powaaqatsi, Belville Rendezvous, The Station Agent, (wonderful film). Then there's some of my own suggestions: They Call Me Trinity, and Trinity Is Still My Name, two of the funniest westerns ever made, IMHO, with an amazing fight between a bunch of monks and banditos, and one of my all-time favourite films, that spawned a series of tv adverts with Griff Reese Jones, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Possibly the best film Steve Martin ever made, with bits of old film noir cut together with contemporary footage, hardly ever comes up on tv, sadly.

pegasus
    Free Member

Lars and the Real Girl.

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

the big lebowski

city of god

+1 down by law

RichPenny
    Free Member

+1 for Spirited Away, beautiful animation. Preferred Princess Mononoke though.

Science of Sleep

Being John Malkovich

Dazed and Confused

Blower
    Free Member

organic355 – Member
    THE FOUNTAIN (Fricking awesome!!) Sound track gives me shivers man!!!

Yep!! mi fave film at the mo that awesome.Clint Mansell does some nice music for films…

grantway
    Free Member

Cinema Paradiso a great film (Italian) subtitled but dont let
    that stop you from seeing it. Really recommened it 😉

Karinofnine

Blue Juice

Katherine Z-J when she was much younger, Sean Pertwee and Ewan McGregor are the famous names, but the best character is Terry, straightlaced and about to get married and settle down, right down.

Ewan McGregor's character slips him some E and Terry goes raving – and spends the rest of the movie painted blue and naked apart from his swimming trunks.

Very good

Blue Juice

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Kenny.

An Aussie film from a couple of years ago, saw it when we where out there, and loved it..

http://www.kennythemovie.com/

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Have to say that dust devil is aweful! Easily in my top 5 worst films along with Mullholland Drive and Kalifornia.

Zatoichi that someone mentioed was great. Blind swordsman and a tap dancing finale. What more do you need?

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

big fan of offbeat subtitled european filums but im afraid 'cinema paradiso' really tested my will to live

jean de florette / manon des sources

volver

Blower
    Free Member

Love Mullholland Drive quality film by Lynch..

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Brain Dead…By the same director how went on to remake King Kong.

This film is awesome gross the acting is brilliantly funny.

Blow.. Johnny Depp. Fanstastic acting and a great True story.

The assignment..About a naval officer who looks remarkably like Carlos the Jackal, He's recruited and trained by CIA to discredit him with the Russians.

stuey
    Free Member

I'd love to again see
    "Cold Dog Soup"

anybody got a copy?

Edit:Its being re-released in Feb – anybody want to come round and watch a copy 😀

AgentOrange
    Free Member

Dead Mans Shoes – One of the best British films ever made !

One for the boys really…. Not many ladies appreciate the violent undertones.

Trailer Here

Kuco

Boiler room.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

no one for elling or (the original) funny games?

nicko74

I saw the remake of funny games. Hated it – just could not see the point of it. There was no story, no point, no moral, just… nothing.
    I thought Dead Mans Shoes was excellent though – Paddy Considine is great!

bawbag
    Free Member

+1 for Primer. Thought it was excellent.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Quest for fire

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Watching…
    Jean-Jaques Annaud managed to produce one of the most original movies of the 1980s with his prehistoric adventure: Quest for Fire. He battled for years for the right to produce and direct this film; the reason being that the film executives didn't see the point of making a film about such an obscure era, especially one that had no English dialogue or ordinary narrative…
    Shot in Scotland & Kenya.
    it is a classic. unbelievable photography and landscapes, with a good deal of action and humour, makes it a worthwhile viewing experience.

tails
    Free Member

just in case anyone knows it, years ago i saw a film in french (subtitled) about this guy who goes around murdering people, but he does it in funny ways like screaming at an old person for instance, you end up kinda liking the chap.

I think the title was something to do with the amount of lead/bricks it takes to way down a body in water? sorry longshot i know.

Kuco

Got Boondock Saints on DVD the bit with the rope always makes me laugh.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘what are your favourite movies that not a lot of people have heard of?’ is closed to new replies.