• This topic has 102 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • What are you reading?
  • Denis99
    Free Member

I have been reading quite a bit more recently since joining Goodreads.

Recently read “All the pretty horses” by Cormac McCarthy, this is probably one of my favourite books to date.

Currently reading “No beast so fierce” by Edward Bunker who was a long time serving prisoner in the USA. Tells the tale of how a person who has served a great deal of time in prison has difficulty in adjusting to normal life.
    It’s written very well and is quite obviously based on his own experiences.

Be good to have a diverse thread on books being read.

scotroutes

Singletrackworld Forums

Vader
    Free Member

Just finished chrimbo prezzie no.1 ‘Letters to my grandchildren’ by Tony Benn. Very enjoyable and timely despite being written around 2009 I think.

Just started reading prezzie no.2 Eric Hoffer’s ‘The True Believer’ after recommendation on the EU Referendum thread

Got a Graham Greene ‘Travels with my Aunt’ and a Heseltine book lined up after that.

codybrennan
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member – Block User – Quote
    Singletrackworld Forums

I’m reading SR’s reply to Denis99’s question.

kimbers

The City and City

China Mieville

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Just finished Zen and the Art of… and just started The Bourne Identity. There is always a book on the go in la casa de capitansasquatch.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Reading this at the moment.

Then gonna re-read this, which I haven’t read for ages but is great:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On the Map, by Simon Garfield. History of cartography. Rather good.

AdamW
    Free Member

Babylon’s Ashes by James SA Corey. The expanse stuff is brill.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I thought I’d had my fill of sailing books, theory and rhyme, tales and travels.. but no, I had this handed to me at Christmas and it’s a thoughtful read.
    Ideal for whiskey, warm living rooms and piece and quiet.

binners

Captainsasquatch – was it the first time you’ve read Zen and the Art…? What did you think? I first read it when I was 18 and it really profoundly effected the way I thought about things. I go back to it periodically and read it again. Changed my life.

grahamt1980

Skunk works by Ben rich.

Prior to that was the hanging tree by Ben aaronovich which is really good, and the first of the new national geographic series on maths which cooked my poor brain

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Crisis, by Frank Gardner. Pretty good.

Drac

Essels’ reply.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Ulysses – I’ve got a lot of time on my hands at the moment

senorj

We found a hat by Jon Klassen.
    Very funny . Final part of a trilogy which has gripped our household.

redthunder
    Free Member

The Iliad.

It’s really good.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

The Devil’s Chessboard – David Talbot.

All about Allen Dulles, the CIA and the rise of America’s secret government.

This guy Dulles is a real piece of work!

nuke

Gomorrah: Italy’s Other Mafia by Roberto Saviano

Northwind

Rereading Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson, I reread the whole trilogy every couple of years, love it…

sharkattack

Just started this today. It’s about the organised crime, smuggling and total chaos that sprang up after the collapse of the USSR. I’m not far in but it’s eye opening stuff.

Creg

Just finished To The Sea in Ships by Horatio Clare.

Moving on to Death And The Penguin by Andrey Kirkov

Denis99
    Free Member

+1 for bikebouy

Warm living room, Whisky and some peace and quite to get into a book.

Would it be worth setting up a group on Goodreads to see what Singletrackers are reading?

My next book will be Descent into chaos by Ahmed Rashid, really interested in getting some insight into some background on 9/11.

Some smashing current reads in this thread.
    Fortunately I can read for about 2 hours a day these days, since having a recent cataract op and new reading glasses.

somafunk

I always have a few books on the go so the first two are from a recommendation on the chat forum before xmas :

And from my bro for xmas (along with a bottle of Balvenie 21yr old port wood which is finished 🙁 )

frankconway

Five on Brexit Island.

For some light relief The Brothers Karamazov – but not in Russian…….

gordimhor

Hell and High Water by Alastair Macintosh. Thought provoking book on climate change and how we live. It’s, eh, unlikely to be on Clarksons reading list

footflaps

Just finished

About to start on ‘If this is a man’ tonight…

somafunk

Just read through the thread and noticed reference to “Zen And The Art of…..”

My fav book of all time, with perhaps “Fear And Loathing – Hunter S Thompson” running it a very close second.

I first read it 25 odd years ago and didn’t understand it but it tweaked something in my subconscious mind that would carry through to my daily interactions with the outside world so every so often i would pick it up and read it again…..and again. I dunno if i fully understand everything he talks about or the subtle meaning of every word or phrase but I’ll get there…eventually…… and i’ll never tire of reading it.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

After seeing it pop up a few times on here.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Chickenhawk but probably loaned it to someone.

*must read it again*

grahamt1980

Chickenhawk is awesome.
    Along that them low level hell is another one, about the recon scouts in Vietnam abs is seriously nuts

DezB
    Free Member

Found a few old books when we cleared my Aunt’s house a few years back. So, having just finished “Cities of the Plains”, the 3rd in Cormack McCarthy’s series (fantastic books, all of em) currently half way through the quite well known “Moby Dick” by Herman Melville. Quite hard going in places with the olde worldy language (1851!), but very entertaining, many laugh out loud (huh, lol) sections. Two sailors meet for the first time and sleep in the same bed together like it’s a normal thing! Great stuff.

CountZero

A collection of stories by Fritz Leiber, called The Black Gondolier. Got a shit-load of books to read, but I’ve also got loads on my phone, which I’ve always got with me, handy fo those occasions when I’ve got some spare time available.
    Large hardcover books are heavy, and easily damaged, just too cumbersome to carry around in my bag all day, just in case.

CraigW
    Free Member

Raw Spirit, Iain Banks
    An interesting / amusing tour around Scotland, visiting whisky distilleries.

Denis99
    Free Member

Some interesting books that folk are reading on here.

I have added a few to my to read list.

Also created a group on Goodreads , imaginately called Singletrackers.

If you want to join and share your opinions on the books you have read / currently reading /want to read, then join the group.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

redthunder – Member
    The Iliad.

It’s really good.
    Which translation?

The Iliad and Oddysey are both excellent reads, and often overlooked as being too academic or something.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson.

I’m not a Bryson fan, but this is Brian Cox at a level that I can understand! Truly illuminating.

I only read on once or twice a month train journeys, so a book lasts me 6 months at a time. I normally forget what happened in the first half by the time I get near the end 🙁

frankconway

In addition to earlier post….. The North Water by Ian McGuire; the Red Riding quartet (again) by David Peace; with these you can almost feel the grubbiness and sleaze oozing off the page and into your skin so read and then shower.
    No, I’m not being funny; they are worth reading but……visceral?

For those wot like rhyme – Piccadilly Bongo by Jeremy Reed.

stewartc
    Free Member

Just finished ‘Carrier Pilot’ a first hand account of a WWII Royal Navy pilot serving in the pacific, very easy and enjoyable read though no Liad…though some action is set in the Mediterranean and being the Navy there is the odd Homer encounter.

IGMC

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What are you reading?’ is closed to new replies.