• This topic has 299 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 300 total)
  • What are we to make of the UKIP surge?
  • BermBandit
    Free Member

binners – Member
    I think the thicko’s are still voting BNP, and going to EDL rallies

UKIP are proof that you don’t necessarily have to be thick to be bigoted and small minded. Though obviously it helps. In fact, a large rump of the Tory party are proof of that. And some of them have had the best education money can buy

I think this is mixing education with intelligence, Whitehall is currently full of examples that definitively prove that a good education does not in any way correlate with intellect.

binners

I think the Tories knew from the off they were a one term government. Hence the haste in dismantling the welfare state, privatising the NHS and completely buggering up the education system

But that was before they’ve realised just how skull-crushingly useless Ed Milliband actually is. They couldn’t possibly, even in their wildest dreams, imagine that someone could be so vacuously clueless as to utterly fail to capitalise on the hundreds of open goals presented to him on a daily basis, while he sits sucking his thumb.

I reckon the Tories and Millibean will get an absolutely equal share of the vote. The lib dems will be wiped out, UKIP won’t win a single seat, and we’ll enter a world of electoral gridlock

yossarian
    Free Member

They couldn’t possibly, even in their wildest dreams, imagine that someone could be so vacuously clueless as to utterly fail to capitalise on the hundreds of open goals presented to him on a daily basis, while he sits sucking his thumb.

you are assuming that labour actually want to follow the tories into power

wrecker
    Free Member

I think this is mixing education with intelligence, Whitehall is currently full of examples that definitively prove that a good education does not in any way correlate with intellect.

Thanks for putting this better than I could.

BermBandit
    Free Member

The issue really is that Westminster is full of people beavering away at maintaining the status quo, whilst everywhere else in the country everyone is aware that what needs changing is in fact the status quo. In fact a good slogan would be a vote for UKIP/BNP/Green/(Fill in your own minority party) is a vote for change.

Unfortunately, what you will hear from the sleazeballs as the days go on is how lthis ocal election result is actually affirming their position, which it self evidently isn’t.

It amazes me how the Dave and Nick, (whose names I shall truncate for the sake of brevity)….. how Dick take the fact that neither won anything like a majority as a vote in favour of some of the most far reaching, extreme and radical policies, as opposed to a vote for consensus politics is completely beyond me.

andytherocketeer

I reckon the Tories and Millibean will get an absolutely equal share of the vote. The lib dems will be wiped out, UKIP won’t win a single seat, and we’ll enter a world of electoral gridlock

One thing I’ve been saying for a while (even for the last election), is that I can see UK ending up with a Left-Right grand coalition like Germany had the first time Merkel won.

Obviously Labour are fortunate in that they need 3% less popular vote to get same number of seats as Conservatives. So the gridlock would be Ed trying to force Cameron to stand down, with tories on 1% more popular vote, but labour with more seats. Merkel managed it, but she was like a German Thatcher. I can’t see Ed having the guts to succeed in that.

Tories just need to be pro Scottish independence.

scotroutes

Another perspective

Why Labour are to blame for UKIP

I particularly liked this bit

A bit like when there’s someone breathing right down your neck on a crowded train, that sent the Tories shuffling ever further along the political spectrum in an attempt to put some distance between them and their opponents, only to be confounded as Labour doggedly matched them step for step, constantly pressing their manifesto-groins into the Tories’ rear like some sort of gruesome sex pest.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

That article is interesting: there’s room for a reborn Labour in the central belt, with more support from the NE of England.

konabunny
    Free Member

Research has found that education is associated with more liberal opinions

So possibly you’ll get less BNP/UKIP support amongst graduates…

Yeah, but all that’s really saying is that better educated people are more likely to be better insulated from the problems which get blamed on Polish swan botherers or Muslamic ray guns: crappy housing, low paid jobs, bad schools, high crime. In other words – politics is a class issue!

loum
    Free Member

Or that “better educated” could mean “better indoctrinated” into the mainstream, middle class consensus?
    Maybe less likely to think for themselves if they’ve already been taught all the answers?

FWIW, I don’t think there’s any other evidence to suggest there’s been a sudden increase in the numbers of “muppets” and “fruitcakes” in society.
    Or that a load of “thugs” who never voted before have been unexpectantly charmed by Farange’s spiel and got off their sofa’s to register their vote for the very first time.
    More likely the a fair proportion of exactly the same people who voted Labour, Tory and Liberal last time chose to vote differently this time.

And anyone trying to dismiss UKIP votes as crazies and loons are hardly doing their own “side” any favours with that level of political argument. Kills any debate dead and plays into their hands, really.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

There’s one happy result to come – I think we’ll see Ken Clarke forcibly retired now that Nigel Farage has thanked him for a three percent boost due to his comment.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I suspect that the UKIP vote at local level was way of trying to get the message across to the goverment levels that many people are fed up of sharing our limited resources.
    I doubt many see any relevance of UKIP outside national level as its a national policy they preach. Grass roots politcis is the way to start isn’t it.
    Then again I fail to see why party politics is relevant at parish or distric level anyway.

mattsccm
    Free Member

What I cannot get to grips with is the way people here rant on about UKIP voters being narrow minded. Thats rather narrow minded isn’t it 😆

footflaps

FWIW, I don’t think there’s any other evidence to suggest there’s been a sudden increase in the numbers of “muppets” and “fruitcakes” in society.

No, but we have had a good 5+ years of the tabloids feeding a racist, anti-immigrant, anti European sentiment which UKIP / BNP have benefited from.

MSP

that many people are fed up of sharing our limited resources

The UK isn’t short of resources, the problem is that they aren’t shared by the many, but just a small elite, while “the many” have to make do with the few crumbs that fall from the table.

CaptJon
    Free Member

slowoldgit – Member
    There’s one happy result to come – I think we’ll see Ken Clarke forcibly retired now that Nigel Farage has thanked him for a three percent boost due to his comment.

Cameron doesn’t have the clout to do that.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

There are plenty of people in Labour strongholds that wouldn’t vote Conservative if they were forced to, but harbour the kind of right wing mentality (immigrants, Europe etc.) that UKIP give them and would be more comfortable voting for.

Can’t decide if the UKIP South Shields vote was a vote again the Cons, the Lib Dems or Labour. Or, all of the above.

Imagine if we have PR with 26% UKIP…..

scotroutes

The Euro elections are just over a year away and they are PR.

loum
    Free Member

No, but we have had a good 5+ years of the tabloids feeding a racist, anti-immigrant, anti European sentiment which UKIP / BNP have benefited from.

I don’t know how much you remember before 2008, but the tabloids haven’t just suddenly become like this.

shermer75
    Free Member

Nigel Farage, earlier today:

“I don’t think these votes are going away quickly,” he added.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah haaahaaahhaahhaa heheeeheeeheeheeheeeheeheehee hohohohohohohoho heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee hohohohohohohohohohohohoho

KonaTC

The UKIP surge at yesterdays election will be dismissed as a mid-term protest vote and ‘we’ the CONLIB pack will say they are listening, but its all Labours fault, bla, bla, bla….

The real crux for the 3 main parties at the next election is how the economy performs over the next two years!

If the economy recovers and voters feel wealthy then the CONs stand a very good change of forming the next government. The LAB LIBs will be in the cold for a long time, LABs will be seen as irrelevant and LIBs will be seen as the wilderness party.

However, if the economy continues to bump along the bottom, un-employment and borrowing remains high, house prices stagnate and voters continue to receive below inflation or no rises what so ever, then don’t be surprised if UKIP does well at the next election, as voters punish the CONs a bit, ignore the Labs and annihilate the LIBs for supporting the CONs. Votes don’t always means seat tho

I suspect only time will tell, but the worst outcome for all will be a another hung parliament.

yunki
    Free Member

My theory is that Thatcher is to blame.. no… hold on, wait for it

I see a lot of first and second time voters being fairly heavily politicized.. they’ve grown up in an almost constant state of war with a never ending onslaught of xenophobic right wing propaganda from the media..
    The recent political coup that brought an unelected Tory government to power has propagated a massive shift in social morality as far as I can see..
    Bankers going unpunished, the weak, the poor and the different being persecuted, old class and economic divides being stirred up and widened, protest being quashed and dissent being crushed..
    The centre right’s shame and embarrassment is finally no longer enough to keep them in check, and more and more hateful ideologies are being openly and seriously discussed amongst those of a more simple nature – the interwebs being the ideal platform for their minds to meet..

All this has given rise to a new generation of quite far right young people who, as young people are still tending towards a black and white view and, still harbouring that childish instinct for survival of the fittest, have no qualms about taking a hardline stance that protects what they perceive to be theirs..
    A whole generation that has been raised to hate and fear rather than to care
    A generation raised to believe that there’s nothing left for them, and the fight is to be over the last few crumbs

economic policy is obviously considered to be of little importance

Nasty times ahead I reckon

footflaps

I don’t know how much you remember before 2008, but the tabloids haven’t just suddenly become like this.

It seems to have got a lot worse, it used to just be all Diana / Jacko nonsense, but now it’s just becoming unashamed hate filled vitriol on repeat play.

scotroutes

Stop it. The current government was elected under the rules and practices that existed before the election. It wasn’t a coup.

yunki
    Free Member

Stop it. The current government was elected under the rules and practices that existed before the election. It wasn’t a coup.

bah..

I doubt they even count the votes..

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@CaptJon

Cameron doesn’t have the clout to do that.

But a lot of back-bench Tory MPs will be feeling a tad less secure today.

binners

yunki – Member

All this has given rise to a new generation of quite far right young people who, as young people are still tending towards a black and white view and are still harbouring that childish instinct for survival of the fittest, have no qualms about taking a stance that protects what they perceive to be theirs..
    A whole generation that has been raised to hate and fear rather than to care

You’re absolutely bang on with this yunki! If you look at the more bonkers, loony tunes theories and policies proposed by Tory-leaning think-tanks, they’re all from people straight out of Oxbridge, rather than the Norman Tebbit brigade you’d automatically associate them with

Whats particularly terrifying is you’re meant to get right wing as you get older. They’ve got a lifetime in front of them….. 😯

Drac

Not seen a single UKIP candidate being voted in up here in Northumberlad.

wrecker
    Free Member

Not seen a single UKIP candidate being voted in up here in Northumberlad.

Did any stand?

Drac

Did any stand?

Well yes.

andytherocketeer

…given rise to a new generation of quite far right young people who, as young people are still tending towards a black and white view…

When wikileaks published that BNP membership list, I was rather concerned about the number of 16yr olds on there, especially in my local area.

And yes I personally know at least one person on that list, whom I did suspect was a supporter of such radical views. He tried to publicly sue them, which of course publicised the fact that he was associated with the BNP 🙄

OK there was never any real evidence it was just a membership list, but still concerning that people not yet ready to vote are associated to such an organisation at the political extremes.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

BBC Breaking news tickertape just read

“UKIP take Isle of White”

Direct quote.

Couldn’t make it up.

snarf snarf.

ransos
    Free Member

The irony of voting UKIP as an anti-establishment protest is that Farage couldn’t be more establishment if he tried. Fortunately for him, his voters are a bit dim.

stgeorge

Fortunately for him, his voters are a bit dim

Your name also will go in zee book……..

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Don’t tell him ransos!

Pigface
    Free Member

My mates son is 22 lives in St Albans, messed up in school and is just a lazy git but a lovely lad if you see what I mean. In a pretty rubbish dead end job. Talking to him and his mates about politics is terrifying. They got all excited at last General election the first he could vote in and went Lib Dem, since then Clegg has renaged on all his manifesto promises so my mates son now votes UkiP. His reasons are he was lied to by his major party of choice, Tories are just rich f******* who look after their mates. Labour? I am not voting for that **** he looks like a mong. While not being overtly racist he has no time for Indian Pakistani kids, his reason is that they kept to themselves in school and are smelly, same with Eastern Europeans. Black people are fine though.

Me and his dad have talked to him and he knows his own mind, he thinks Ukip are the future and so do his mates. Interesting times ahead indeed.

footflaps

Phew, no UKIP / BNP Councillors in Cambridge City. Can’t say the same thing for the Fens…..

binners

Tories are just rich f******* who look after their mates. Labour? I am not voting for that **** he looks like a mong.

He’s clearly not daft then. I think he’s managed to sum things up pretty much perfectly there. There’s not much needs adding to that, really.

footflaps

I am not voting for that **** he looks like a mong.

yep, of the two millipede brothers I can’t work out how they managed to vote for not only the talentless one, but the gormless one as well…..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘What are we to make of the UKIP surge?’ is closed to new replies.