Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What are they celebrating?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

All I can imagine is that they’re celebrating the general availability of fireworks again.🤦🏼‍♀️

mjsmke

Celebrating the luxury of life when your IQ is bellow 100.

TheBrick
    Free Member

diwali.
    Not exactly a new thing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m aware of Diwali, I just think the odds of it being that around here are incredibly slim.

Poopscoop

No special event or occasion needed for it down in my little bit of Kent.

Most of November is like the Somme. I suppose it can now be promoted as a warm up for the crap winter to come.

Dunkirk spirit etc. etc.

Yes, I know I’m mixing conflicts, bloody pedants.😁

funkmasterp

Nothing around here as yet. Expecting it to start soon though.

DickBarton

Diwali isn’t until start of November so a bit early for that…from memory when I used to do firework shows, fireworks could go on sale to the public 2 weeks before 5th November and then 2 weeks before 1st January. Assuming that legislation has changed now as I see shops have fireworks on display and must be for sale now…

MoreCashThanDash

Diwali was on the local news the other night.

Not had any fireworks going off yet, the local FB group is already full of panicking pet owners moaning about the seasonal fireworks shop opening

ElShalimo

Shirley they’re just exhibiting their convivial, fraternal spirit??

shermer75
    Free Member

[video src="https://files.catbox.moe/frix4o.mp4" /]

I have literally no idea whats going on here

joat

Not had any fireworks going off yet, the local FB group is already full of panicking pet owners moaning about the seasonal fireworks shop opening

(lights, er, firework)

Fireworks have been used every year for eons. But people keep buying pets expecting that to change, rather than thinking “will I have a quiet place to put my pet once or twice a year”

(runs)

sparksmcguff

Firework displays are great, I love them. Two brilliant ones stick in my mind. Stonehaven, New Years, high tide and the display reflected in the calm waters of the harbour. The other was Bastille day on the beach at St Malo.

Some random bits of noisy rubbish lobbed skyward from neighbouring gardens is not a display. If anything it’s an environmental disaster. There are no good reasons to sell fireworks to the domestic market.

scotroutes

I agree with both of the two previous posts.

maccruiskeen

Dunkirk spirit etc. etc.

That would be a good name for a firework.

funkmasterp

A proper display can be fantastic. Brian down the street letting them off in the garden can **** off

dyna-ti

Nothing beats the Japanese when it comes to fireworks. Single shells weighing 420kg

MoreCashThanDash

I agree with both of the two previous posts.

Seems sensible to me.

My lad was in Quebec City in the summer of 2019, and the were hiding a “display off” for contenders wanting to do the following New Year’s display. He’s got a stunning video of several consecutive full New Years displays, looked amazing.

kraftyslices

Agree with what’s said above. But any dog-owners trying to argue neighbours’ fireworks are bad for the environment need to have a word with themselves.

squirrelking
    Free Member

any dog-owners trying to argue neighbours’ fireworks are bad for the environment need to have a word with themselves.

One doesn’t detract from the other.

Does a firework do a job? Provide assistance? Provide companionship?

I mean, if you want to go the whole hog, anyone using the internet trying to argue anything is bad for the environment needs to have a word with themselves.

ernielynch

But any dog-owners trying to argue neighbours’ fireworks are bad for the environment need to have a word with themselves.

You don’t need to be a dog owner to appreciate the devastating effect that loud explosions and lighting up the night time sky has on wildlife.

Flocks of diurnal birds suddenly taking off and crashing into obstacles, the badgers and owls that can’t hunt, all the mammals too terrified to venture out, none of that is justified because humans like to go ooh and aaah on certain nights.

grum
    Free Member

Nothing beats the Japanese when it comes to fireworks.

Well…

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s not just animals that suffer.

Fireworks and PTSD

So yeah, what could/should be done in a night is pretty damaging when it happens over 3 weeks.

richardkennerley

Nothing beats the Japanese when it comes to fireworks.

Maybe the Germans?

CountZero

Can’t say I’ve heard any to speak of, there were one or two a week or two back, but those were probably a birthday or something.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What are they celebrating?’ is closed to new replies.