Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What are they called and where can I find them?
  • partyboy1101
    Free Member

Is there a name for the former shepherds crofts and cottages that are out in the far flung areas of the Scottish Highlands (and anywhere remote really) that predominantly walkers use whilst out on epic trips.

I rather fancy a short holiday somewhere remote, possibly using these shelters for nightly stops?

iDave
    Free Member

they’re not called bothies, oh no.

glenh
    Free Member

The locations are kept secret to avoid any party boys turning up and trashing them.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You can find them out in the far flung areas of the Scottish Highlands (and anywhere remote really) HTH

highclimber
    Free Member

A friend of mine used to be in the Mountain Bothies association.
    It all seemed a bit secretive back then.
    I’m surprised they put grid references on their website now.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Graham – you think they’re actually located where the grid reference says??

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ahhhh the Hutchison Memorial Hut, wonderful, wonderful place. Shame the numpties ruined the Sinclair Hut
    Og wow Luib Chonnal – what a brilliant one that was. On a miserable day, I found a comfortable bed made of straw and a bottle of lemonade that someone had written “Vodka and ” above the word “Lemonade”.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

How do you know you are in a bothy and not just some abandonded hoose?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

How do you know you are in a bothy and not just some abandonded hoose?

tradition says you drop spare food, and there pretty much always is some spare scoff lying about. also, generally well looked after by users so nott he air of deriliction you’d find in an abandoned house.
    stocks of firewood seem to be around as well

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The Hutchie hut

Luib Chonnal

Sinclair – gone but not forgotten

“Graham – you think they’re actually located where the grid reference says??”

Ah, so it’s a navigation challenge then, a bit like trai… No, I won’t say it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What are they called and where can I find them?’ is closed to new replies.