Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • what are the signs of a "mid-life crisis" bike?
  • PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

After reading

The whole damn bike screams mid life crisis!

in geetee’s nicolai thread, it got me thinking what are the signs of a “mid-life crisis” bike? So I thought I’d make another thread and see what people come up with. What is the most mid-life crisis bike out there?

mamadirt
    Free Member

In my case, this . . .

geetee1972 – Member

Having spanked my load on the bike I can’t afford patio furniture.

Or toilet roll

Or food. ….

I seem to have got into a bit of a habit of selling each mid-life crisis bike frame at a loss to fund the next one 😕

I am rather excited tonight though 😛

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ones with engines (like my trials bike!)?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GW
    Free Member

there isn’t one, it’s what the midlife crisee doesn’t do with it.

damo2576
    Free Member

cost of bike > level of fitness

xcentric
    Free Member

the bike of anyone who answers this thread? (yes, me included)

MSP

The bike you buy to go with the full face helmet that stops your comb over flapping around in the wind.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mine involved carbon and skinny wheels

cinnamon_girl

The one that makes you smile the most. 🙂 Ti. 8)

Rorschach
    Free Member

A bike that you will NEVER do justice to…..come to think of it that’s most new bikes bought by people on here is’nt it 😉

vinnyeh

Best midlife crisis bike I’ve seen on here was S***r’s purchase of a Intense Slopestyle after he’d sold his collection of custom road and XC Sevens. Stunning build.
    Good on him for moving out of his comfort zone, though he didn’t seem to keep it long..

My wife’s trying to get me to choose something bling for my upcoming 50th, but since she bought me a Mojo HD for my 48th I’m struggling to think of an upgrade.

A bike that you will NEVER do justice to…..come to think of it that’s most new bikes bought by people on here is’nt it

I reckon it’s a crisis bike if you think you CAN do justice to it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely something custom …

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

C_G, don’t you need to reach midlife before you can have a midlife crisis bike? Am sure, therefore, that you simply cannot comment on this.

🙂

nick3216
    Free Member

fat rider

PJM1974
    Free Member

Anything with more than 120mm travel when the rider lives in the south east. Yes, that is in fact me.

cinnamon_girl

C_G, don’t you need to reach midlife before you can have a midlife crisis bike? Am sure, therefore, that you simply cannot comment on this.

My name is a tad misleading …

😉

I now qualify as ‘eccentric’. 8)

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

Anything with more than 120mm travel when the rider lives in the south east. Yes, that is in fact me.

damn i’m having a midlife crisis! I live in the south east and have just got a BFe with 150mm travel!
    i’m only 19 😥 😆

HermanShake
    Free Member

Fatbikes, full carbon road bikes for pootling around on, custom ti frames, modern leftys, 650b before anyone else has one, truss forks and generally incredibly niche bikes for overwhelmingly ordinary riding.

There’s nothing wrong with it, but that’s what I’ve observed!

PJM1974
    Free Member

My 160mm bike is too slack to be practical round here, drags on the occasional climb and is never ever out of it’s depth. However, I do often commute out of London on it.

Mid life crisis? It’s happening here.

Northwind

GW – Member

there isn’t one, it’s what the midlife crisee doesn’t do with it.

And that would be it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Greater than 5″ travel and a dropper seat post.

legalalien
    Free Member

I don’t exactly know what the signs of a mid-life crisis bike are, but I think I need one. 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

A bike that you will NEVER do justice to…..

… but are more than happy to die trying 😛

Rorschach has it!

nosedive
    Free Member

160mm bikes owned by overweight blokes who cant even safely get 2 wheels off the ground who go and hang around at downhill tracks pretending they can ride

me!

_tom_
    Free Member

Orange 5 I would assume.

nosedive
    Free Member

enduro

sv

Mamadirt saw that frame yesterday and thinking my Pitch should be for sale!

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Think it depends if you’ve always cycled – in which case it’ll be anything from niche such as fat bike, monster cross etc.to a touring bike (and all the rack, panniers ,camping gear etc. :oops:) or really nice road bike

But I think the most amusing are the proper mid-life crisis ‘I’m gonna be a mountain biker.’ types. Havn’t been on a bike since they learnt to drive, but allof a sudden

‘mountain biking’smy life’

. Usually a full suss accompanied by the knee and elbow pads with full face helmet for a pootle round the local woods. They also seem to be really into getting there ‘weapons’ serviced on a regular basis -just find it all a bit amusing

gazc
    Free Member

body armour unless its actually DH/freeride/hard

jamiep
    Free Member

1984 raleigh burner bmx. I now have 4 😳

tomhoward

Orange 5 I would assume

This

neninja
    Free Member

I bought a Nicolai Helius just before my 40th Birthday.

There appears to be a trend with Nic purchases.

Bikes with engines might be the mid-life crisis purchase of choice for some. I’m the opposite, I sold mine to fund the Nicolai build as it wasn’t getting used enough. It’s 1st time in 16 years I’ve not had a motorcycle in my garage!

yossarian
    Free Member

If the term ‘monstercross’ appeals to you, then it’s MLC time!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Orange 5 plus 1 million

mrdestructo

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005M2AF4W/ having enough spare cash to get one of these and try riding it somewhere you oughtn’t to.

Aidan
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member

Orange 5 plus 1 million

Is that an Orange 1000005? Never seen one of those and I’ve been to Surrey Hills on a weekend.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The phrase “mid life crisis” is always used to describe activities that sounds great to me, mountain bikes, motorbikes, sports cars etc… I can’t wait!

Northwind

After midlife crisis comes old age, and one of the traits of old age is getting grumpy about what other people do to have fun 😉

andeh

Are we talking non-riders mid life crisis or folks who already ride?

……either way, Lapierre.

Sandwich

Something in titanium or bamboo would fit the bill. At fantastic expense, possibly custom fit as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘what are the signs of a "mid-life crisis" bike?’ is closed to new replies.