Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What are the Most Secure Garage Doors? Roller, sectional, side???
  • Killer
    Free Member

Thinking about house updates and will be getting a new garage built and obviously will want to fit a STW worthy secure door for the stuff inside.

However, I can’t get my head around the security issues associated with the different types and work out which is most or least secure?

Roller
    Sectional
    Up and Over
    Side Hinged etc

Is it more about the brand quality than the style or are some types of garage door just intrinsically less secure.

not so worried about style and looks just yet, but wanted to focus on security first and that second.

What does the STW hive mind think?

escrs
    Free Member

I think up an over is the most un secure, it can be made more secure from crowbar attack with various bolts etc.. but they can have holes cut in them quite easily as they are single skin

Hinged can be very secure but they need hidden defenses like being bolted from the inside, anti taper screws used etc.. if they only have one lock on the front of the doors then they can be broken in to quite easily

Sectional and roller are the most secure as all locking mechanisms are on the inside, they still need to have sturdy frames to hep with stand any attack

If you google secure garage doors most manufactures go through the pros and cons of each

molgrips
    Free Member

I was told sectional. I have a Hormann one, it really is pretty good. The only way in is to smash the panels in which would make a hell of a noise and require a lot of work. You could cut a hole in it and operate the controls, but a baffle would fix that along with cutting the dangling emergency string.

You could probably drill a hole then cut a big piece out with a reciprocating saw if it was burly enough.

revs1972
    Free Member

I think I’ve decided on one of these puppies. Been looking at electric RSD and sectional doors, but can be quite expensive for a decent one. Plus only need to open one side at a time so won’t be displaying all my wares when I need to get in.
    (Garage won’t be for housing a car, and i have plenty of room to open the door outwards )

https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/steel-security-doors/high-security-double-steel-door/

footflaps

Roller aren’t secure without ground anchors, you can just jack them up and once the motor lock snaps, you can just lift it up and you’re in.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 of those Latham doors. Only the single ones.

One is outside for access to the room above the garage and one is inside the garage leading to my bike store.

I have the mid/higher level type. Having fitted them and haBing a good look at them, I’d say it would be easier to knock the garage down than get through them (which people do). Even if you did get into them, it would take you a good while and you’d make a shit load of noise.

ElShalimo

We have a sectional garage door and the lock is broken. So I came up with a very low tech solution of drilling a hole thru the metal track where the sectional door wheels move up and down. (It’s just above the normal wheel placement when the door is closed).

Place a strong/cheap padlock through said hole and hey presto it’s going nowhere!

welshfarmer

[strong]revs1972[/strong] wrote:

I think I’ve decided on one of these puppies. Been looking at electric RSD and sectional doors, but can be quite expensive for a decent one. Plus only need to open one side at a time so won’t be displaying all my wares when I need to get in.
    (Garage won’t be for housing a car, and i have plenty of room to open the door outwards )
    https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/steel-security-doors/high-security-double-steel-door/

Will they be wide enough for a garage? Or do you not need to use it for parking a car again? I have one of those same doors on my workshop as a single leaf. It is ****ing heavy! I only fitted it a couple fo days ago and still ache form maneuvering it about. Think I may have a hernia too 🙂

I have another door from them that is just the heavy duty version and that is much lighter, but still has 12 point bolts and would take an hell of a concerted effort to breach.

revs1972
    Free Member

Will they be wide enough for a garage? Or do you not need to use it for parking a car again? I have one of those same doors on my workshop as a single leaf. It is ****ing heavy! I only fitted it a couple fo days ago and still ache form maneuvering it about. Think I may have a hernia too 🙂

I have another door from them that is just the heavy duty version and that is much lighter, but still has 12 point bolts and would take an hell of a concerted effort to breach.

I am in the process of converting into workshop. I have vans, so they won’t fit anyway. Plan to be in this house for the foreseeable future. Needs to be secure as will store work tools / equipment in there . Thanks for heads up about weight , the kids will need to get in there to get bikes / scooters etc so will take a look at the heavy duty version. As above, its probably easier to get in through the roof, or punch a hole in the wall.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What are the Most Secure Garage Doors? Roller, sectional, side???’ is closed to new replies.