Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What Are THE Go-To Brakes These Days?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hi all.
    I’ve kind of lost touch with whats what with bike components in the last couple of years and I believe my mk1 SLX brakes are beyond salvation so I’m wondering what I should replace them with. General trail riding, lots of trail centres, some enduro racing… Are Zee overkill? SLX/XT just as good but lighter? Already have Shimano floaty rotors so don’t really want to get rid of those so thinking that sticking with Shimano is the way to go…

Cheers
    Dave

honourablegeorge

New SLX are a winner. Zee are heavier, but a lot of people like the increased feel they offer (as well as power) – so also a winner.

Other brands are available, but you can’t really go wrong with either of the above.

firestarter
    Free Member

I cannot fault deore and see no reason to go higher up the range tbh

bigjim

I have zees, XT and Deore, the Zees are great in terms of modulation and overall power, the Deores are amazing though and I’m not sure I’d pay more, I prefer them to my XTs though they are a few years newer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My tuppence.

I would have avoided Avid, but my last two pairs of Elixir’s and DB5’s have been faultless and cheap. Outright power is on a par with Shimano, but they’re more progressive rather than the more on/off feel of the Shimano servo wave brakes. They also seem to have dropped the Avid name from all but the cheapest models which I’d take as an admission that things weren’t right and they’ve improved if they’re prepared to re-brand them under SRAM.

I’ve also got Shimano XT’s, as I said, different, but no more powerful when used hard. The downside of Shimano is the rotors, there have been several cases of people melting Ice tech rotors, apparently they work well for cooling your brakes, but only upto a point then they fail catastrophically! They also have an incredibly thin steel surface, so I’d hesitate using them in winter too unless I was minted. Having said all that, you could use the standard rotors and be no worse off than using Avid/SRAM.

jekkyl

+deore here, great brakes.
    There’s load of brakes on the classifieds at the moment. & if you buy new have a look at merlin and they offer through quidco too.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

The older style XTR trails are simply awful. In fact I command you to ditch any that you may have lying about and pass them on directly me, I can look after them.. 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve been a total XT whore but have just got Hope Tech3 V4. Amazingly different. In a good way.

woody2000

My Crush came with some Deore 615s which are as good as any brake I’ve ever used. Plenty of power & decent modulation, just look a bit plain jane is all.

iainc

junior has 2015 Deore, I have 2015 SLX on one bike and 2013 XT on other. All feel the same and all good. I just the other day had to replace the rear lever on the XT’s, which was losing it’s snappy return, but it has had a lot of use, so not complaining and new one was only £20 or so.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got 4 sets of Shimano on the go 396/Deore/Zee/XT no problems with any of them

Zee feels like the others until you pull hard. Caliper is a big old brick though you’ve got to really want them for normal trail riding

396s are dirt cheap they’re like Juicys that actually work

Deore for value, XT for looks

Hope better than all of them by a fair margin

robware
    Free Member

Had SLX and am currently running Zee and XT. I’d agree with the above.

I’d also go so far as to say; if you’re thinking of XTs then go for the Zees. They’re not much more when purchased from Germany and worth the extra.

craig24
    Free Member

Deore M615, bargain for how good they are!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

M615 +10

woodster

I’ve just recently picked up some Magura MT5s. Light, absolutely loads of power and lots more modulation/feel than the Shimanos I’ve tried although I wouldn’t be disappointed . Definitely feel I can use my brakes more effectively. 5 year warranty too. I paid 150 euros for a proper retail set so they aren’t too pricey either.

Enduro Mag group test

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ve been a total XT whore but have just got Hope Tech3 V4. Amazingly different. In a good way.

Exactly this. I’d not used Hopes in years and was a little nervous but so far they have exceeded the standard set by various Shimanos. the Tech 3 V4’s offer massive power but have great modulation so better control. I also quite like the chunky manufactured look and they feel solid

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK, cheers all, doesn’t sound like I can go too wrong with any Shimanos then.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

I’ve just recommended some deore to someone. For the money I think they are superb and have much better modulation than XTs. Actually wish I’d taken them off my old bike and kept them instead of the XTs.

Higher up the price range I really liked the SRAM Guide too when I tried them on a Nomad. Again, lovely modulation and good power.

Yet to try Zee, Saint or Hope but I really think I’d struggle to justify spending more than ~£70 for Deore if I needed a new set.

legend
    Free Member

Zee feels like the others until you pull hard. Caliper is a big old brick though you’ve got to really want them for normal trail riding

50g a wheel heavier than SLX iirc, so barely worth mentioning really

captain_bastard
    Free Member

I’ve run shimano on various bikes over last 10 years, cheap and get the job done… But, most recent set have the dodgy lever feel

As it happens, just put an old set of hopes on my commuter, 15 year old mini’s (I think, that long ago I can’t remember), had them rebuilt by lbs who got new seals from hope, feel as good as new

For that reason I’ll be moving to Hope

Daffy

My Shimano hydro road brakes have been faultless, my Shimano XTR (M988, M9020) have been riddled with faults.

I’ve gone for Hope for my MTBs and for the first time in recent memory, I completely forgot about my brakes after the first 5 mins. Far superior to the ever present “?” as to what my Shimano brakes will do next.

Brake well? Howl like a banshee? Need multiple pulls to stop? Throw me over the bars as I’ve over compensated.

Oh, and at the very least, the BPC on Hope brakes actually does something, which it doesn’t on XTRs!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Saints on both bikes, they work brilliantly, they are nicely and easily adjustable, I guess overkill but I’d rather be over braked than under braked, as I was in Pila with Formula R1’s.

wrecker
    Free Member

Same as most things bike nowadays, there are few bad brakes around. I have had new XTs, Guides and hope E4s. All good in their own way. All reliable and easy to bleed.

poah
    Free Member

Zee from Zee germans

tom.nash

Adam_Buckland – Member
    Exactly this. I’d not used Hopes in years and was a little nervous but so far they have exceeded the standard set by various Shimanos. the Tech 3 V4’s offer massive power but have great modulation so better control. I also quite like the chunky manufactured look and they feel solid

As Adam said. I love the modulation and reliability of Hope, plus their awesome service if any issues.

pnik

I got some slx from merlin to replace my old slx, they are fine good even i love my hope m4s on the other bike, they aregood but for the money shimano, my only issue with shimanos is no spares if a problem isnt pads or a bleed its time to replace, but for me no brainer unless youve budget to pimp your ride.

I had some mono minis 10 years ago they were very bad.

jimmy

Shimano Shimano Shimano 🙄

IMO SRAM Guides are far superior and can be had for cheap as folk take them straight off new bikes to replace with sh*mano.

I just don’t get it – every set of Shimano brakes I’ve used have felt flimsy power-wise.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Dunno about that. I’ve only had XT on my bikes and they have been fine. The Hope just add something in the way of control I was unaware of.

dudeofdoom

I’m with Jimmy on the SRAM Guides…defiantly worth a punt if they come up cheap.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Sram guides.. 😀

BoardinBob

SRAM Guides on my new bike and they’re superb.

XT, XTR and Saint on my other bikes and they require almost constant attention

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve had a fair few pairs of Shimano brakes and most have been very good.

I had some XT 785’s that I was never totally convinced by; power was good but the lever feel was always a bit ‘mushy’. At the same time, my hardtail had some older Deores (pre Ice tech compatibility) and these were ace for £60. The current 615 Deore’s which replaced the older ones are brilliant for £60 a pair and I found they were much easier to get a good bleed and solid lever feel with.

My big bike had Zees which were good – solid lever feel, lots of power and more feel than my 785’s.

My current Ti hardtail has XTR Trail brakes and the jury is currently out – I’ve had to bleed them a couple of times and if they place up again, they’ll be returned.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve found Shimano XT to be more reliable and more powerful than Hope. They’re also half the cost.

ahwiles
    Free Member

and use mineral oil, which (unlike dot fluid) won’t scrape your face off with a chisel if you look at it funny.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

XT get my vote. Even Deore are cracking brakes if you’ve got shallower pockets.

dirtydog
    Free Member

It’s gone full circle, Hope. 😀

SLX, unless you want on the fly reach adjust, in which case XT.

Daffy

I wonder how many people on these threads are comparing current brakes or historic experience…

FWIW:

I’m talking about Shimano R685/785 levers (I have both) on XTR M9020 Callipers for my road bikes and XTR M988/9020 trail brakes and Hope Tech 3 E4 and X2.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Been looking for something to replace my formula T1S as I fancied something different, so plumped for some XT m8000 with XT (not the ice-tec) rotors

Should be here tomorrow so I’ll report back once they on and tested!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

There turned up and look “velly niiiice!”

Off to fit them now…,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What Are THE Go-To Brakes These Days?’ is closed to new replies.