Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • What are the classic Dutch bike/s + hills?
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

I use a powered drill because using a hand drill is really quite stupid.

I had a friend ride a stepthru dutch bike from Cornwall to Portugal, with a trailer, surfboard and guitar! Happiest cyclist I ever met. An upright bike is a good see and be seen option. The balloon tyres cope with all kinds of paved and unpaved roads. It’s not all about max speed? Sometimes min speed is more fun. Bicycle is to get from A to B. ymmv. Drill is to make a hole in something. ymmv. Plenty of people still use hand drills for the right kind of jobs at (sic) hand for a number of non-stupid reasons.

Some advantages of a hand drill:

Longevity
    Most hand drills were made in a time where tools were built to last and it’s commonplace to find ones from many years ago still being used today without issues.

Low maintenance
    The only maintenance that a manual hand drill requires is oiling and possibly replacing wooden handles after decades of use if they’ve become worn down.

No sound
    Compared to other drills of today, the noise coming from a hand drill is virtually silent. You can work any time of day or night without bothering anyone or needing protection for your ears.

Precision

A manual drill allows for a much more precise hole to be made and gives you greater control. The speed of an electric drill means sometimes they’re harder to control and can do more damage than you’d like.

Portable
    Just like a cordless drill, a hand drill can be used anywhere and doesn’t require electricity to work. Better yet, they don’t require batteries either, so there’s no risk of running out of power.

tjagain

If you are doing hills you will need more than three gears, but with the right gears, you can go anywhere. In a stately fashion, naturally.

My road bike has a SA 3spd and while more gear range could be handy sometimes I can ride hilly routes on it

As above – its the UK that are outliers who need huge gear range and fancy lightweight bikes to ride touring in europe dutch style ( but not retro ones) are the norm

bridges
    Free Member

Drill is to make a hole in something. ymmv. Plenty of people still use hand drills for the right kind of jobs at (sic) hand for a number of non-stupid reasons.

Some advantages of a hand drill:

Longevity
    Most hand drills were made in a time where tools were built to last and it’s commonplace to find ones from many years ago still being used today without issues.

Low maintenance
    The only maintenance that a manual hand drill requires is oiling and possibly replacing wooden handles after decades of use if they’ve become worn down.

No sound
    Compared to other drills of today, the noise coming from a hand drill is virtually silent. You can work any time of day or night without bothering anyone or needing protection for your ears.

Precision

A manual drill allows for a much more precise hole to be made and gives you greater control. The speed of an electric drill means sometimes they’re harder to control and can do more damage than you’d like.

Portable
    Just like a cordless drill, a hand drill can be used anywhere and doesn’t require electricity to work. Better yet, they don’t require batteries either, so there’s no risk of running out of power.

I love this response, because a lot of thought, time and effort went into creating it. And I can’t really argue with it, much. 🙂

Dutch bikes are still crap for most other types of riding though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paul0
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone has mentioned how easy they are for carrying passengers, even after a couple of (ahem) refreshments. Side saddle on the rear rack seemed to be the standard way… sometimes with an umbrella up. And a phone in the other hand. Or towing a wheelie case behind..

Plus the upright position makes it a doddle to cycle whilst pushing another bike along beside you (without rider). Which can sometimes be handy. Basically they’re great transport bikes if its flat.

EDIT “Omafiets” or “Opafiets” is what you’re looking for (grandma/grandpa bike).
    Plus just found this 😃. https://rollingspoke.com/double-riding-in-amsterdam/
    and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4jBpdTicRI&t=26s

corroded
    Free Member

Get a Pedersen! I borrowed one in Copenhagen and it was brilliant fun. Didn’t go up or down any hills, though, which I can imagine might be terrifying.

midlifecrashes

Not all Netherlands is flat. Arnhem area is up and down to the river. I’ve ridden a mates Gazelle Orange C7 quite a bit (7 speed Nexus, roller brakes, dynamo etc). It’s brilliant, hills are just fine, sit down and winch your way up or standing up takes a bit of getting used to as it puts the bars close to your legs, but I’ve done 1 in 6 no bother. I ride a Real Classic, British version of a dutchie as my town bike, just upgraded with the bits form a dead ebike so it has dynohub and Nexus7 now, seriously considering taking it instead of my Fargo for a continental trip.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Dutch bikes are still crap for most other types of riding though.

Same could be said for FS Enduro, racing/road bike, etc

IME the Dutch utility bike is best of all for local journeys, cruising around, pub trips, general town/car-replacement. By far. That actually covers quite a lot of bases on e getting beyond the the UK ‘bikes are for sport’ mindset.

Have used it to carry friends home drunk from the pub, pick up guests from bus stop, get me to the supermarket, go local camping with daft amounts of gear, shopping, errands, any day or night, no maintenance, no fussing with lights, locks, special clothing etc just get on and go everything is always on.

I took it full loaded on a train to a city and then cycled the final 10 (rural) miles with all my camping and clothes on board for a week away. And it was a breeze to ride back in and around the city, go and fetch takeouts, etc.

I really can’t think of any other bike I own that is so useful, or one that so encourages me to leave the car behind. The nearest would be the 29er but it doesn’t have nearly so much utility or ‘zen’ that the Dutch bike has. Not to mention I fear leaving it locked up anywhere.

ymmv

(I’m obviously missing it. Could be time for that restoration, it’s possibly the last chance before Final Winter arrives)

bridges
    Free Member

Same could be said for FS Enduro, racing/road bike, etc

Oh yes.

IME the Dutch utility bike is best of all for local journeys, cruising around, pub trips, general town/car-replacement. By far.

And in my experience, a bog standard ‘hybrid’ style bike is by far the best all-rounder, as you have a better more efficient riding position, they’re generally a good bit lighter, and have more ‘standard’ tyre sizes, etc. And can go up and down hills. No brainer…

tjagain

And in my experience, a bog standard ‘hybrid’ style bike is by far the best all-rounder,

The do not have the fully enclosed chain, integrated lights, full coverage mudguards, inbuilt locks, luggage carrying capacity

bridges
    Free Member

The do not have the fully enclosed chain, integrated lights, full coverage mudguards, inbuilt locks, luggage carrying capacity

Which add loads of weight, and end up being a complete pain in the arse when things go wrong. Hybrids have easily as much luggage carrying capacity as any Dutch bikes. You can get belt-drive and E- versions of hybrids now. So much more versatility.

paul0
    Free Member

This. It means you can just jump on the bike in your normal clothes, and without having to remember lights or locks etc. The full coverage mudguards with the side panels on the rear wheel make a massive difference to how feasible wet weather commuting is in normal clothes. No different to walking in the same conditions. They are bikes for people rather than cyclists! Of course a hybrid can be built up like that too I suppose, but pricier than a tenth-hand old fashioned one.

tjagain

Bridges – have you ever ridden one?

p7eaven
    Free Member

And in my experience, a bog standard ‘hybrid’ style bike is by far the best all-rounder, as you have a better more efficient riding position, they’re generally a good bit lighter, and have more ‘standard’ tyre sizes, etc. And can go up and down hills. No brainer…

I’d agree with hybrid for the ‘all-rounder’ for casual cyclists. Never been a fan though although have tried many and owned a few. Currently 29er is my nest find as an all ‘rounder’ (to me an all rounder needs to do MTB) Best so far.

I certainly wasn’t arguing that a Dutch utility bike is the best ‘all-rounder’

But it’s a better urban/cityutility/car-bike *for my use* than any ‘all-rounder’ that I’ve ever had.

I’ve had a handful of hybrids over the years and the Batavus simply blows them out of the water for everything I do with it (mentioned in my last post) and is (so help me) just more fun and ‘zen’ to ride. I always feel less stressed on it than anŷ other bike to date. That counts on a long day in lots of traffic, with many stops.

It destroys the hybrid in the same way as the handbuilt tourer destroys the MTB. One is for on the road for mile-eating and load-lugging, the other isn’t. In fact now shod with trad swept bars bars my (tourer) is currently standing in for the Dutch utility bike. But it’s just a different thing altogether and nowhere near as good for the job. I love it for riding distances though. And for fetching eggs from villages.

*Edit. Wait! Just remembered, we also have this:

in the shed, and it could be put back on the road/to work easily instead of going to the bother and cost of restoring the Batavus. But it’s a no-brainer! Quite literally given the choice I used the Batavus every time. The hybrid ended up on a turbo during Covid and is now getting the heave-ho. The hybrid feels all cramped and spindly.

It doesn’t have the stability, the hub dynamo, the integrated locks, the length (both frame and rack), the low CoG, the load capacity, the comfort, the no-nonsense gearing/IGH, the ability to also safely carry a friend/passenger to the railway station (along with luggage), etc etc.

A stepthru hybrid would be fine for a student or pub bike, and it may even get me farther and faster on towpaths etc. Butthat’s not what I need/use it for. As a 10-mile radius ‘car’ bike (majority of journeys) all-weather utility it falls way short. Yet I still recommend cheap hybrids for a ‘do-it-all’ in town for most people, as most people don’t use a bike daily and for virtually all cargo.

I could swap the Batavus for a longer ‘cargo’ bike, but the Dutch utility bike is more versatile (trains, storage, etc) and I have a car/estate for the really long stuff.

So it is definitely a ‘drill’ for a job, but it does way more useful stuff for us than our hybrid did/could. And I prefer riding it. I wouldn’t want a 700c for a utility bike, 26” max.

In saying all this, I don’t think the Batavus Personal is a ‘typical’ Dutch bike geo? It seems specifically utility/cargo , ie long and tough, smaller wheels (26) – but with an omafiets flavour and finish. It also has an enormous steel cable that slides smoothly out of the frame, to tether to places where you might not want to rely solely on the rear lock. Both of the two integrated locks share the same key which lives in the lock until you lock it. So you can’t forget it. Clever stuff. Not that anyone would steal the brute!

Think I’ve (sorry everyone) written more about this Batavus than for any of the other 40-odd bikes I’ve owned and used over the decades. It really was a game-changer for me. Or else it’s self-generated gravity-field finally got to my head. As ever, ymmv. OP, what about a Raleigh Pioneer Hybrid? Eminently more sensible, plentiful, lighter, usually way cheaper, more gears and certainly not as ugly.

bridges
    Free Member

Bridges – have you ever ridden one?

Yes, why do you ask? Not only that, I’ve actually owned one. I found it ok for very short distances, but really quite crap at anything else. They are ok for short distances in Dutch towns, though, I must say. Mine was a wreck I found in the street, and fixed up. I ended up giving it to someone who’d actually lived in Amsterdam, so they appreciated it more than me.

tjagain

I asked because you view sounded like that of someone who has not ridden one. fair enough if you have.

bridges
    Free Member

I asked because you view sounded like that of someone who has not ridden one

Really? You thought that based on what ‘evidence’?

p7eaven
    Free Member

Let’s keep it about the cycling/bikes! 🚲

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What are the classic Dutch bike/s + hills?’ is closed to new replies.