Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What are the chances of the doc saying I can’t go on holiday?
  • lankystreakofpee

We’re due to fly to Italy on Friday, but no.1 son decided to fall off his bike last week and break both his wrists and his collarbone, which was a bit selfish 🙂

He has an appointment with the consultant tomorrow and we’re due to leave tomorrow night to stay at a hotel near the airport (early flight and the airport is miles away). One of his wrists is in plaster and the airline are saying its ok as long as the doctor says its ok, but 2 different people from the holiday company have said the cast would need to be split until we told them their website says only if its less than 48 hours old.

He’s actually quite mobile considering it was only a week ago and he’s in good spirits this week so I think a few days by the pool will be better for him than sat inside watching Netflix all week but we’ll have to go with what the doctor says. His collarbone is properly broken so will likely need surgery, but they don’t seem to have been in a rush to see him so far. I think the consultant will say he needs urgent surgery before it starts to heal, but the selfish part of me wants him to say he’ll be fine so we can all spend the week in the sun!

So, quick poll – am I likely to be supping Peroni by the pool this time next week or not?

weeksy

IF he says no, i have no plans 🙂

m0rk
    Free Member

“IF he says no, i have no plans” – that’s the babysitter sorted for your son.

I’d just lie to the airline about when the cast was fitted – I can’t see it being an issue, given easyjet fly loads of broken MTB riders back from the alps each summer

lankystreakofpee

🙂 Weeksy, If you can pass as a grumpy teenager you are welcome to come!

Groovy!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but 2 different people from the holiday company have said the cast would need to be split until we told them their website says only if its less than 48 hours old.

Checkin will make that call unless you have a letter willing to take full responsibility, if something happens they have to land the plane… also speak to your insurance about what they will cover.

lankystreakofpee

I guess I’m more worried that they will say he needs surgery next week and it can’t wait until we get back. Saying that though, it’s taken more than a week just to see the consultant so fingers crossed it will be when we get back!

lankystreakofpee

Thanks Mike, I was in the process of booking the insurance when I got the call that he had crashed so I’ve had to take out special insurance that covers him just in case.

TiRed

If he needs an operation, they’ll want to operate before the bones set. This being the NHS, they’ll plan for next week, screw up your holiday and THEN postpone the operation to the week after, and just squeeze it in within three weeks of the accident. I’d go.

My US colleague broke her wrist over here walking from her hotel within hours of landing. She flew home and had it operated on once back.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Am i the only person thinking that this is the obvious setup for a “first holiday without the kids in xxxx and it was awesome. Do i tell my wife how great it was to be just the two of us or  pretend I really missed the kids?” thread

P-Jay
    Free Member

IMO the only way a Doc is going to say ‘No’ is if they want to operate next week, they hardly ever say no, just advise against it.

xora

“Healing as normal, have a nice holiday”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does remind me of an alpine climbing trip years ago.

Broke the tip of my radius, all in place but damm painful and had very little movement.

Me to the Doc – I’ve got a holiday planned in France, no problem going?

Doc – No

Me to BMC insurance, I broke this, etc. etc planning this spoke to the Doc

BMC – Did the Doc say not to travel?

Me – No

BMC No problem all sorted have a good trip 🙂

Hurt like hell the day it went straight for the first time!!

So make sure you know what the good pain killers are and how to ask for a new cast if needed in whatever language it is

poah
    Free Member

I’m a dr and you can go lol

lankystreakofpee

Thanks for all the replies. Just in case anyone is interested, the doc said no surgery required, gave him a funky red fibreglass cast and put a split in it ready to fly. Got a note to say he was fit to fly and nobody asked to see it! Currently on board the plane using the free WiFi. Sorry no pics of my shoes!

nedrapier

huzzah! enjoy!

What shoes are they, just to fill us in?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What are the chances of the doc saying I can’t go on holiday?’ is closed to new replies.