Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What are the best elbow pads?
  • grum
    Free Member

Recent ground/elbow interface means I’m thinking I should get some pads. Got some 661 chicken wings but they’re awful and I refuse to wear them. Any out there that aren’t annoying to wear?

POC are very pricy but seem to get good feedback. Anything good but a bit cheaper?

Ta.

Northwind

I had the chicken wings, they’re a great product, you get 2 levels of protection- at the start of every trail your elbows are padded, by the end they’ve fallen down and you’ve got armoured wrists 😆

I love my POC Bones. They look ridiculous tbh, proper stormtrooper… But the protection is huge and they’re really cleverly articulated and stay where they’re supposed to, so they don’t need much strapping or wrapping- just a very lightweight “sock” and 2 loose elastic straps. So they’re actually about the least warm/sweaty pads out there. Expensive though and you need to be happy with the looks.

Never found a soft pad I really liked tbh.

weeksy

The ones you don’t take off 3 mins before you crash.

hopkinsgm

Try as many as you can and find the ones you’re most comfortable (least uncomfortable?) wearing. There are few things more pointless than safety equipment you refuse to wear because it’s uncomfortable/bulky/cumbersome/makes you look like a dick

prawny

Dianese trail skins = Perfect.

Going to get the matching knees when I’ve next got some money.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Will see what they’ve got in LBS.

Any thoughts on the G Form elbow pads?

packer
    Free Member

I have the G-Form elbow pads and I love them. Of course they have less protection than a hard shell pad but they are so light and comfy you hardly notice them, and they provide more protection than you would think from the look of them.
    I guess the only reason not to get them is if you think you want more protection than they can offer.

Alex

I had some of those very light 661 mesh things but upgraded to RaceFace Indy for the alps. They don’t slip, aren’t huge and aren’t that irritating. Loads of pads out there which are similar with the D30 stuff in there. I’d be down the bike shop trying a few pairs on and see what fits.

jezketley
    Free Member

I wear my g forms all year round now. Barely noticeable on even on hot days and much better elbow protection than bear skin or just a shirt sleeve. Not seen anything else I would wear for regular riding.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Leatts soft pads so comfortable and realistic sizes too.

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve got the POC VPD 2.0. Brilliant pads and hardly feel them on at all. They don’t move about and the dough stuff inside them gets soft with heat so moulds to your fit. Downside is that you can’t wash them so they can get very smelly when it’s hot and sweaty (I hand wash mine and then spray with febreeze before hanging out to dry). As a result, I only wear elbow pads on extreme stuff or when it’s colder or slippery. That said I wear my POC kneepads every ride. I’ve had quite a few offs with my pads (including one which resulted in a stress fracture of my elbow) but pads have stayed put every time. They are definitely worth the layout, there are some bargains to be had on the VPD 1.0s.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Fox enduro? Good coverage. Not sure if they’re annoying.

pt81
    Free Member

Got a pair of Lizard skins, light enough to wear allday small enough to put in your pocket/bag.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Going to get the matching knees when I’ve next got some money.

I bought them, and the kneepads. The kneepads are awesome. The elbowpads have been sent back to CRC after them falling to pieces after my first crash, the sleeve bit seems to be made out of the same material as non-bounty kitchen roll.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks again. Going to see what the LBS has and also see if I can try on some G Form pads – there’s so many sizes it seems slightly ridiculous.

I do get quite hot in summer and those POC pads looks massive/warm, but we’ll see.

packer
    Free Member

see if I can try on some G Form pads – there’s so many sizes it seems slightly ridiculous.

Good idea to try G-Form for size first – their sizing is extremely small.
    I wear a medium size in 661 elbow pads but in G-Form I’m an XL.
    You basically have to go two sizes up on what you would wear in most other brands. Same with their knee pads.

ivorlott
    Free Member

Did you manage to get any sizing info on these mate?
    Liking the look of them, but no sizing info online and can’t find anywhere local to try them…

grum
    Free Member

Tried some POCs today. They feel pretty good but I dunno if they’re £90 good. Some stitching coming loose on the ones in the shop.

Not sure where stocks G Form near me.

honourablegeorge

I’ve got a set of POC VPD 2.0 Elbows in L, they’re just the tiniest bit too small for me. Worn twice, email in profile.

grum
    Free Member

Ygm

honourablegeorge

grum – reply sent

Kahurangi

661 Rage‘s here. much better then the knees, which are bulky as a bulky thing.

the elbows I find very comfy and don’t move.

prawny

@ivorlott – I got the sizing info off either CRC or the dainese website can’t remember which. I took a bit of a flyer in the end and went for mediums as it wasn’t 100% clear! but it made more sense than the raceface guide.

@ryderreman – that’s a bit worrying, I haven’t crashed in mine yet. Hopefully I won’t either but if I’ll be gutted if they fail, they’re the perfect size and shape

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What are the best elbow pads?’ is closed to new replies.