• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by a11y.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What are the alternatives to Flickr???
  • Premier Icon Vortexracing
    Subscriber

Been using Flickr for Photos for a few years now, but the latest emails have got me a bit spooked and wondering how long it will last. (new owners, pressure emails to renew etc)

What alternatives are there??

Ta

You could Pokr, Pinchr or Smackr.

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

Imgur

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

I am wondering the same thing. I have recently tried uploading things to an s3 bucket but it’s kind of hard work.

mattyfez

It’s a bit of a pain in the ares at the moment if you want a free photo host.

I don’t realy blame them as most people, myself included only use them to post pictures on forums.

I used photo bucket for years but since they got annoyed with the ‘hot linking’ I went to imgur and then flikr and they are both a pain in the arse.

I suppose you can’t blame them with loads of people taking advantage of free photo hosting.

They try to be a social media service but everyone just uses them to host memes and photographs so they can link and post them somewhere else.

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

I’ve also got about 15 years of photos and a Pro subscription. I think I’m going to renew shortly and see what happens: moving that number of photos off Flickr is not going to be fun. If Smugmug decide to shut it down in a few years time they’ll probably offer migration to Smugmug anyway.

mattyfez

Make your own backups, hard drives are cheap.

Premier Icon Vortexracing
    Subscriber

It would seem there arenot many options around then 🙁

It is convenient for posting on forums, i’ll give it that.

I did notice that they are also hosting videos, so I may cancel my Vimeo subscription and try to use Flickr for both photos and Videos.

cheers for the replies gents.

Make your own backups, hard drives are cheap.

it’s not for back-up, it’s so i can post on forums.

stevemuzzy

Instagram. Quick and easy linking.

whitestone

How the hell is Imgur a PITA for posting images in forums? Click on the image, you get a dialog with several options for linking, click on the one you want, that copies the appropriate code which you then paste in the post. The difficulty comes when you get to this forum – now that’s a PITA.

I use imgur – resize images before uploading* and it’s fast and fine.

From opening the site to pasting this image was less than twenty seconds.

geilo

* There’s no need to upload 20Mb images when a 240Kb version is good enough and means everyone who opens the thread isn’t taking forever downloading several hundred megabytes.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

as per whitestone ^^^, imgur easypeasy for uploading to forums, awful for organising all your photos into folders.

out of interest, is it easy to download all your photos from google photos onto a portable hard drive, and then every few months ‘update’ it so it only adds new photos maybe?

whitestone

@sadexpunk – you used to be able to organise things into folders in Imgur but they’ve changed it so that the only way you can do so is to create a “post” with them in. Part of the stupid “everything must be social media” movement.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

The only reason I use Flickr is for sites like STW which do not allow the upload of the pic.

I’m not interested in using it as a social media outlet.

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

Imgur. I just have a small amount of hosted web space though and store and share from there.

Premier Icon Vortexracing
    Subscriber

Just opened a Imgur account to try, may seem ideal, at least it’s not £45/year 🙁

geomickb

I just moved to Amazon Photos. I was already paying for Prime. Downloaded all from Flickr and uploaded to Amazon.

Premier Icon tintim
    Subscriber

+1 Amazon photos, photos storage free with prime + 5GB storage for vids.

Was a Flickr pro user myself until the price increase.

Premier Icon a11y
    Subscriber

I had Flickr Pro for years but didn’t renew when it was due last week due to cost increase. Moved to using the 1TB of storage included in my Office 365 subscription – works for me as mainly using it as a backup for photos rather than sharing.

But if I’ve done this right I think I can share photos from it too?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsOhJFrnlXc1goJNgAtqbg0tAHvsMg

Edit – nope, can’t figure out the sharing.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.