Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What are my options for broadband only…
  • DrP

In the process of moving about and getting a flat for a few months before i decide what I’m going with my life…

Maslow’s hierarchy of need dictates the following:

I don’t need a phone line..the flat has virgin ‘cables’ going into it…

I’m going to give virgin a call to see what is already set up, but what are my other options without having to get a ruddy BT line in place…??

Cheers

DrP

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I went with plusnet, I just paid the money and didn’t plug the phone in

If not look at a big data bundle on your phone

cinnamon_girl

Check out MoneySavingExpert, I found it pretty good for exploring options.

Cougar

Without a landline, your options are Virgin.

jimdubleyou

Virgin will do you broadband only. Probably easiest, maybe not cheapest.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html

TheBrick
    Free Member

4g router and three all you can eat.

zntrx
    Free Member

For a few months only probably worth looking into a 4G rolling sim (assuming decent coverage) rather than being tied into a long contract/buyout with virgin.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Virgin also offer vastly faster Interwebs than you can get through OpenReach (aka A BT Line) if you want.

Personally I think 350Mbps is over-kill for most households, but they can sell you 100Mbps from less than 74 via a telephone line and it’s more than enough for current needs.

Oh, I missed ‘a few months; thing, they’ll want at least a year, but I believe they don’t shag you for moving home mid-contract.

oldtennisshoes

4g router + 100gb per month deal

wwaswas

4G plus loads of data.

Look for local open wi-fi and use an encrypted VPN service.

wwaswas

Although Virgin do 30day rolling contracts… https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html

DrP

what’s teh deal if I leave virgin early if i actually move out…???

DrP

edit..i’ll call them!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have got a three 4g router with 100gb.

DrP

hmmm… so that router is £90…

Three (I’m already with 3) do all you can eat for £27 per month for 12 mths, plus i can get £70 cashback…
    SO i just pop the sim in the router, and that’s it…?

are 4g speeds ‘enough’ to stream netflix etc etc?

DrP

lankystreakofpee

If you can get 4G where you are, I would be looking at something like this:

Huawei HomeFi 

About £24 a month and I think you can do it with a rolling monthly contract.

Edit: too slow at typing!

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Even though you don’t need it, consider getting a phone+broadband with virgin. Often, for strange reasons, costs less to have that than broadband only. Also, as other pointed out, they offer 30day rolling contracts.

sl2000

If it’s only for a few months, and it’s just you in a flat, I wouldn’t bother with the router if you have an old phone that you can use as a hotspot. I’ve recently managed 6 weeks on 4g. Didn’t watch much TV because I didn’t spot that three unlimited data deal but speed was fine.

unovolo
    Free Member

Depending on your location you may be able to go with Hyperoptic.

Speeds as fast or faster than Virgin and no phoneline required.

DrP

If it’s only for a few months, and it’s just you in a flat, I wouldn’t bother with the router if you have an old phone that you can use as a hotspot.

It’ll be me and the kids (50% of the time…) plus Amazon echos and ipads set up, si I really would like a fixed router/wifi network…

Think i’ll go for the three unlimited option for £27 per month, inc £70 cashback…
    And get the router.
    My current three sim (sim only) is on rolling contract now, and is 12gig data… so can have 2 contracts running at a similar price to a fixed line BB, then if needs change, simply put the unlimited sim in my phone, and cancel my current contract….

quick question…you reckon unlimited is worth the £7 more per month, than 100gig…?

DrP

sl2000

you reckon unlimited is worth the £7 more per month, than 100gig

100%. TV is ~1GB / hour so not difficult to use all the data.

oldtennisshoes

Careful DrP, check how much you can tether if it’s not a dedicated data sim in a mifi device.

DrP

cheers all… i love this place… things I ‘knew about’ but hadn’t properly considered…

that’s the router and SIM ordered….

Thanks again one and all… xx

DrP

jimdubleyou

My (unlimited data) three sim only deal only allows 30GB of tethering a month. Check the small print…

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought Vodafone do a home broadband package that doesn’t need a landline? That said given their mobile phone customer service etc. is shite (and they’ve been doing it for quite a few years) I’m not sure I’d want to go with any broadband offering they had.

wwaswas

Go unlimited – me and the kids manage nearly a 1Tb a month on Virgin cable.

Sandwich

Virgin also offer vastly faster Interwebs than you can get through OpenReach (aka A BT Line) if you want.

As long as you don’t use the SuperHub in modem mode (if you want to use DDNS to VPN back home for example) when it will drop out like it has Tourettes. There’s an update necessary for the dodgy intel chip inside that Virgin can’t be arsed to test and release. 150Mb/s line is no use if it won’t hold a connection

DrP

My (unlimited data) three sim only deal only allows 30GB of tethering a month. Check the small print…

They removed that..unlimited MEANS unlimited (well, in the UK..)

DrP

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For low usage, it’s worth keeping an eye on places like Amazon, who sell prepaid data only mobile sims for Three network, the one i bought ~15 months ago literally ended this morning (24GB?) and cost me ~£30.

As a low use mobile call and text user, i then have Three 321 payg sim in other sim card slot.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Can those with Three help me out. I am looking at the mobile router option, none of the available options of SIM’s that come with it are unlimited. Am I right in thinking that I can pop any SIM into it (three or otherwise?), I assume from the above that the mobile router usage will be counted in the SIM as tethering, so I need to ensure that there is unlimited tethering included. From what I can see on the Three website, while there a number of options with unlimited data, all but one have a limit on amount of tethering allowed.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What are my options for broadband only…’ is closed to new replies.