Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What angleset? Works or Superstar or?
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Want to slacken out my Kona Process 111 and looking at a -2 degree angleset from either Works or Superstar.

Not much between them in price. Think the superstar is a third heavier again if the internet is to be believed but keen to garner opinions on these or any other alternatives

Northwind

I go with Works, because they were one of the first, and the first to make it good. Superstar’s knockoff is perfectly good but I’d sooner reward the people who deserve it.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Know it’s not all about weight but trying to figure out why the superstar is 180 g to Works 120 g. Has anyone confirmed the weight of a 44/56 Works angleset?

sanername

My Works -2 has… ummm worked very well for two years pretty damn well.

sillyoldman

What Northwind and Sanername said.

poah
    Free Member

get the superstar one as its cheaper

CheesybeanZ

Got a works -2 in my Codeine , no creaks .

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

2 Superstar ones here, they both work well.

cookeaa

Got a works -2* here, seems to be up to the job so far…

bruneep

Have both, they both work no issues.

I’d buy superstar again if I needed another.

guitarhero
    Free Member

That’s interesting bruneep

Why Superstar, just the price?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Seems like either would be a good choice. But compared to some £20 to save 60 grams isn’t a bad deal.

geex
    Free Member

20% off Superstar until midnight tonight. (Code: SNOWWAY)
    I’d rather have a Works but at that price…

I do have a superstar slackerizer in one bike and it’s absolutely fine BTW.
    *actually hovering over buying another for a bike I don’t even have yet*.. Aaarggghhh!

bruneep

yes just price, as it has caused me no issues

cp

Fwiw my experience suggests works components bearings are crappier than a very crap thing and I’d go with superstar.

singlespeedstu

Anyone struggling with crap bearings in the Works headset might want to consider swapping the top cap for a Hope one. (HS126N)

Doesn’t cost much and the sealing is much better.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s a good idea Stu.

Just re-fitted a works headset to a new bike and was stunned again at the rubbishness of the top sealing.

harvey
    Free Member

for what its worth the guys at Works are very good to give help by email

deadkenny
    Free Member

Looking to slacken my old Nomad mk2 and had recommendations for the Works one, but the main thing I keep reading with the Works is the bearing issues. Considering bearings are fairly much stock standard stuff, it’s more likely it’s down to the headset seals.

I notice SS boast about extra seals, adding a little to the size as a result.

Out of interest, of Works bearings that fail, is it bottom or top that goes most? Of all regular headsets, cheap and fancy inc Hope, it’s always been the bottom bearing that goes and rarely need to touch the top. Usually the bottom seal is nothing to write home about (inc Hope), or non existent (On-One).

bruneep

My bottom one failed after 5 months of scottish autumn/winter riding

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What angleset? Works or Superstar or?’ is closed to new replies.