Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What am I missing?
  • pingu66
    Free Member

Ok I am thinking/planning a new bike.

Probably a cyclocross type disc with rack mount. Really an all rounder.

What I want to understand is these are variously described as winter bikes etc for training. Anyway something like that.

Really trying to understand all the differences and uses as I look into it so why would a roadie want to swap a roadbike to something with mudguards, fatter (all be it slightly) tyres etc for the winter when he will use it on exactly the same terain? What am I missing?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Disc brakes can make fitting a rack a bit of a nightmare if not impossible .

pingu66
    Free Member

Yeah I gathered that, I think the trick there is mounting the caliper on the chainstay rather than the seatstay it seems. Still investigating as I think there will be more disc compatible frames later in the year.

sic_nick

On One Pompetamine, chainstay mounted disc and £60 off the price right now.
    [/url]On One Pompetamine

I like the way their bikes handle, got two on the roster right now.

mattstreet

My understanding is that, as well as mudguards mounts & fatter tyres, a ‘winter bike’ has generally more robust (=heavier) components, which are a more tolerant of the wet, dirt and salt and stuff you get more of on the roads in winter. Whereas summer bike = lighter. Cyclocross with disc brakes and mudguard + pannier mounts makes a great commuter / tourer / all-rounder too imho. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member

Disc brakes can make fitting a rack a bit of a nightmare if not impossible .

Not so – just needs to be spaced out a bit or get a disc specific rack. Not difficult at all

pingu66
    Free Member

TJ

What needs t be spaced out the rack? I initially thought the brake but then realised yoou couldnt space the rotor out! Doh!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

the rack will have to be disc specific!

pingu66
    Free Member

I realise the rack needs to be disc specific but even then some are still problematic.

I guess when the time comes to just ensure I can getr a rack thats correct. Not bothered about mud guards. Remember them as a kid, nightmare.

The reason for the rack is a little light touring rather than having stuff on my back can go on the bike. No need for front rack as wont be travelling that heavy and can always add a little on my back.

Now stupid question No2. A compact set has a different front derallieur while the rear is the same as normal?

rOcKeTdOg

Compact uses the same front and rear mechs, spacing between chainrings is the same you just need to mive the mech down the seat tube a lttle

pingu66
    Free Member

rocketdog

More confused now? Compact is the same front and rear, you mean compact specific?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What am I missing?’ is closed to new replies.