Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what am i doing wrong?
  • Ringo
    Free Member

Im normally a two wheels on the ground kinda rider but recently i have found myself trying to get some air. Now although my efforts are pretty feeble when i get more air than usual my front wheel always comes down too quick ( which incidentally resulted in my going over the bars :)) any tips for a new jumper?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get someone who can jump to watch you and teach you?

Kramer
    Free Member

Can you bunny-hop and manual? Are you talking about kickers, or drop offs?

samuri
    Free Member

get your weight back, would be the obvious answer.

sailor74
    Free Member

its probable that as a 2 wheels on the ground rider your bike is set up for that sort of riding or racing maybe? in other words long nd stretched. a shorter stem might put you in more central position.

nuke

Setup is important but I've found the best way is to go riding with people who make it look simple. They can give advice and encouragement. Sometimes all it actually takes is somebody standing next to the jump/drop/etc shouting "GO ON!"

ahwiles
    Free Member

that usually happens to me when i'm riding a jump with a short take-off.

You've seen 'em, those small bumps which are less than 1 wheelbase long, your front wheel will be in the air before your back wheel even touches the jump, and when it does you get bucked.

i find jumps with a long take off are a bit easier – both wheels are on the take off and traveling in the same direction/angle upwards together, rather than 1 wheel being jumped, and then the other…

sound familiar?

look for take offs at least 1annahalf wheelbases long.

Kramer
    Free Member

Find some gnarly dudes to ride with is a good one, they'll help you push your envelope.

dave360

pull back on the bars innit

nuke

You've seen 'em, those small bumps which are less than 1 wheelbase long, your front wheel will be in the air before your back wheel even touches the jump, and when it does you get bucked.

Thought that was just me. Scared myself pooless on one of those the other day.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Keep close(r) to the bike when you're in the air

glenp
    Free Member

Pump into the face of the jump, driving the bike down and forwards with your feet. Keep your head up (at all times) and your heels down. Look through the trail, not down at it – the bike will land soon enough, looking down will not help but rolling your head and shoulders forward will most certainly hinder! Feet and head are more important than hands – no need to yank the bars.

Maybe do a skills session? Could save you a lot of pain and expense.

Ringo
    Free Member

im going to book a skills session. I can handle small drops of about 2' i just cant seem to land jumps very well. cheers for all the advice

I_Ache
    Free Member

What jumps John at the chase?

There is very small double in the Park in the woods above the bridges near the Boathouse (hope you know where I mean) it is a nice easy learner jump with about a bike length in between the ramps and you wont get any more than 2 foot of air but its something to practice on.

Im going to give the 15ft tabletop at the chase a go when we go up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what am i doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.