Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • what age did you remove there stabilisers? ( this isnt a competion! )
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

my lads 3 and loves cruising about on his wee bike with his stabilsers on.considering taking them off but i know there would be lots of falls and he seems to actually like riding slowly, not good when you need to learn how to balance…

greasystain
    Free Member

My eldest was 5… went like a rocket once they were removed.

My second is now 4 and we did recently (2 months ago) remove his stabilisers. However they have now gone back on as it turned out he was a bit scared of his bike without them…

RealMan
    Free Member

Should try those bikes without stabilisers and without pedals. Apparently it only takes like 10 minutes to get them used to pedals, rather then weeks to get used to a lack of stabilisers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dunno, but i remember forgetting how to ride a bike once! Learnt to ride, then about a week later i just couldnt do it, no chance! Must have been 3-4 ish?

jimmy

My nephew asked to have them taken off about a month before his 4th birthday and it took a few wobbles, followed by lowering the saddle and he was off. No sh't, though, the lad has to be good at something when he's older. He's a powerhouse, loves biking, climbing and won a school sports day for 6 year olds (he's still only just 4).

Proud uncle moment. I just wish he'd grow up quick so I can take him out in the hills.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Should try those bikes without stabilisers and without pedals. Apparently it only takes like 10 minutes to get them used to pedals, rather then weeks to get used to a lack of stabilisers.

yep, my mate's 2 year old got one of those from me as an early present. 2 weeks after i gave it to him he showed me his skills, he can roll along for ages with his feet up. i couldn't believe how good he is at balancing. apparently he tries to ride it everywhere and went to nursery in his bike helmet the other day 😆

crazant
    Free Member

my son never needed them we just took him to a park with a nice soft grass hill took him 5 yards up it and let go, he soon got the hang of it 😀

odannyboy
    Free Member

"I just wish he'd grow up quick so I can take him out in the hills"

ditto

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I never had any stabilisers.
    I remember very vividly paying in a neighbours garden, and wandering out the front onto their sloping drive (which must have been not much longer than one car) with someones red bike (It would have been a Raleigh Budgie) and sitting on it and scooting down the drive a few times with my feet on the floor, then going up onto the road and just pedalling off to show my mum. I think it took me 10-15 minutes to lean to ride a bike. I would have been 3 or 4 at the time.
    😀

I learned to ice skate in not much longer than that when I was about 7, too…

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

First tried with my lad when he was 5 but it was to early.He fell off quite a bit and lost a lot of confidance.Put them back on and left it for 6 months then tried again and it just "clicked".It's like when they start walking,some progress quicker than others.

StirlingCrispin

When their feet comfortably reach the ground.

Thump is 3 and a bit. He can ride a balance bike with nae worries and a massive grin. Also has a Isla Cnoc 14 with stabilisers so he can race the big kids in the street. I need him to grow a bit more before we try removing the stabilisers though.

Marge
    Free Member

My 4 yr old lost his at around 4 1/2.
    I took them off before that but they had to go back on as he lost the desire to use his bike.
    His mum took them off again when I was on a business trip and he did it straight away. After 1 week of cracking his stabiliser virginity he was riding like a star and trying to make jumps! He would happily come to the hills with me but he's got no concept of braking (apart from at junctions). My nephew(in-law) is 4 and his dad works in a bike shop – now he is really good for 4 and does rear wheel skids (foot up) on his coaster brake Specialized… (I was never this cool)

garlic
    Free Member

I'm still using them.

Sam

I think I was four or five. Agreed that like-a-bikes and similar with no pedals do seem a much more natural way to learn.

Peterpoddy – you rock!

DezB
    Free Member

About 4. (my son, not me – know way I could remember that far back)

(seen the Panasonic HD Cam Advert? – that's PP that is) 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

"I just wish he'd grow up quick so I can take him out in the hills"

ditto

You will soon start regreting that when he starts beating you!

jackthedog
    Free Member

this isnt a competion!

When my kid was being delivered my missus sat on the egde of a huge canyon and my son came out riding a 10" travel Karpiel and wearing a Troy Lee helmet and did a proper sick 40 foot no hander 360 backflip drop-off.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I got my first bike for xmas at 3, or so I'm told. Apparently I flat out refused to ride it with the stabilizers on. One run down the big grass hill beside the house, and one crash into a hedge later and I had it nailed by all accounts.

DezB
    Free Member

Gnar by name Gnar by nature 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

Really clearly remember getting my stabilisers off. I must have been about 4.5. Had been out riding my bike in the street, then came in and told my mum I'd managed to ride it with both stabilisers off the ground (meaning for about 0.000000000001 seconds). She promptly whipped them off and stood watching me as I fell over repeatedly. Got the hang of it though!

ski
    Free Member

My little one was nearly 6 when she asked me to take them off for her.

Half an hour latter she was out of sight of me on two wheels.

Never pushed her tbh

My Mrs is quite hard on not pushing them down routes you want them to go.

As for me, asking my parents what age I was, I got the reply, when one of the rear wheels of your trike came off!

odannyboy – don't rush him, the day will come and it will be a memorable experiences 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

(seen the Panasonic HD Cam Advert? – that's PP that is)

Not quite. It took me another 20 years to do no-footed endos and tail whips on a BMX….
    Yes, I really can. (well, I COULD…!)

😀

Tracey

Abigale was three, you can get him out onto the hills at three, just get a trailgator
    Abigale age 3

Red Bull trail

Marin Trail

Best thing we ever bought as when she was tired you could hook her on

Tracey

Jason
    Free Member

My son started riding his bike at just over 3 years. He had got pretty good on his like-a-bike, and really had no need for stabilisers on his pedal bike. The bit he struggled with was learning the pedalling motion, that took him a couple of rides to master, but he soon picked it up. He has a Islabike Conc 14.

antigee

oldest at 3,1/2 – youngest stubbornly refused to ride without till nearly 7 but could, just didn't want to – anyway a week after deciding she could she had taught herself bunnyhops and was building ramps in the lane

mate got his lad a balancebike – "i'm not riding that its not a proper bike"

think its all different but tend to view stabilisers don't really help

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘what age did you remove there stabilisers? ( this isnt a competion! )’ is closed to new replies.