• This topic has 57 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by chewkw.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What a difference a day makes… (Cancer content, sorry)
  • mboy
    Free Member

So err yeah… Apologies for the emotional dump but here goes… I feel I need to take this weight off my shoulders I’m afraid!

This is absolutely NOT a call for sympathy or anything by the way… Those who know me well know how pervasive Cancer has been in my life already (My Grandad and Mum both died from it, it nearly killed my GF, several friends have had their battles) and that I have always anticipated that the day will come when I announce to the world that I have Cancer myself.

So here I am!

Except that “have” is hopefully “had” already… Long story short, but I’ve had a pretty shit time health wise the last 2 and a bit years. Since turning 40 in July 2020 (no party, but was at the height of eat out to help out at least so managed a meal with some friends in my favourite restaurant, but by the by…) I have had the proverbial freight train of ailments and issues with my health, including but not limited to a Minor Stroke (TIA in medical terms), pretty chronic Sciatica at times, a dislocated knee (which is far more painful and debilitating than you would ever think, and also made the Sciatica worse as I was over compensating for so long because of the damage to my knee), sever mental health issues at times and worsening bowel problems… Oh yeah, and I had COVID twice, but that really was nothing compared to any of the above!

Back to my point… I sought advice from my GP 15 months ago for issues with my bowel that were starting to result in what I was concerned might be haemorrhoids, and a small lump up inside too… He dismissed it as nothing, prescribed me some pile cream, and sent me on my way… I wasn’t happy and requested a second opinion… 6 1/2 months later (yes really, despite pushing!) I was finally contacted for my second opinion. A phone call at lunchtime whilst I was working in South Wales, requesting if I could get to the hospital that afternoon. I politely explained that I was 120 miles away and needed more notice, to be told they were there til 8 that evening so I said “see you at 7” and knocked off work a little early that day… Within 2 minutes the consultant had said it was pretty serious, wasn’t going to say it was or wasn’t cancer, but I needed to go for a colonoscopy pronto and that the GP that dismissed me was an idiot that needed striking off! Great!

So in I went for a colonoscopy a week or so later… Couldn’t do what they needed (bowel problems meaning the laxative hadn’t cleared me out properly! Great!!!)… So Rescheduled for 3 weeks later, and given stronger laxatives for next time… When they then took a sample, and 2 weeks later I’m told it was definitely benign (bit of a relief at the time) and that they will probably want to take it out anyway sometime in the future just for posterity…

Nearly 6 months passed, then I had a letter on a Friday morning through my door saying I had a date for Surgery the following Thursday, just 6 days away! Just as well I hadn’t booked to be anywhere for work (who, by the way, have been incredibly understanding in the whole process and I couldn’t have wished for a better employer in this regard). So in I go for surgery 5 weeks ago, totally unprepared for what came!

Surgery to your bum is undoubtedly, the most painful thing I have ever had to get over in my life… I have screamed, I have cried (mostly on the toilet!), I have wished for someone to give me a gun so I can end the pain! But here we are 5 weeks later, and I’m just about able to take a shit again without screaming blue murder… Small wins!

Got a letter a few days ago to come in and see the surgeon this morning, for a routine follow up… Great says me, I have many questions I need answering… So in I went, and before I got to the point where I got to ask any questions, he absolutely floored me… Where they thought my tumour was benign, it turns out it wasn’t! Wow! Took the wind right out of me…

Obviously the upside is that they removed it already… They are confident it hasn’t spread, but I am now a high risk Cancer patient for the next 5 years, a camera up my bum once every 3 months for the forseeable, MRI’s, CT Scans, blood tests galore… Oh great! 🤦🏻

My GF is a mess right now… Doesn’t help she’s only 4yrs post Radical Hysterectomy herself for what was really a very advanced Ovarian Cancer that she was very lucky didn’t spread…

Phoned my Dad this morning, a man not well known for his emotion (particularly towards me anyway), and he cried and is now desperate to take me to dinner this evening…

So… The moral of the story if there is one… FFS if you believe there’s something wrong with you, get it checked… And get a 2nd opinion too… Hell, get a 3rd, 4th and even 5th opinions if required! You know your body, you know if its changed! I’ve had a few moles removed in the past because I’m quite prone to them and there being issues with them in the family, this was just a bit more than I expected but I’m very very glad I persisted with the second opinion, even more so after my news this morning!

Haven’t yet seen the GP that refused to say there was a problem with me 15 months ago, I’m not even sure he still works at my surgery to be honest. It might be better for both parties that we never bump into each other, cos I’m not sure I would be especially polite if we did!

Here’s looking forward to 2023, actually riding some bikes again in some meaningful kind of manner (something I’ve barely done in the last 2 years for one reason or another!), and a year of clean health… 👍🏻

Thanks for reading.

hooli

That’s quite a journey, I can only hope that the next few years (or decades) are as uneventful as they can be and you stay all clear.

fathomer

Not sure what to say but that’s proper rough! Here’s hoping that you get better and enjoy 2023 and beyond! And you never bump into the first GP, not sure I’d be able to control myself in you shoes.

IHN

Well, blimey. Glad to hear it’s now ‘okay’ (you know, relatively speaking), but that, if you’ll forgive the pun, sounds like a right shitter.

If you’re ever Oop North and fancy a ride let me know, I have a nice road bike you can borrow 😉

sharkattack

Wow. I thought I was having a rough year!

I have always anticipated that the day will come when I announce to the world that I have Cancer myself.

I can relate to this. I’ve lost a good chunk of my family to cancer over the years. It does make me wonder quite a lot about what’s going to get me and when.

As far as I know I’m mostly physically healthy at the minute. My latest lump check didn’t find anything. I really should blow the dust off my bike and enjoy it while I can.

willard

Daaaaaamn!

Yes, that sounds like a shit time for you (Yes, that was deliberate), but I am really, REALLY glad that it mostly came good with that precautionary removal. I don’t know if I could cope with being in that much pain at poop-time though. My boby might have just decided it wanted to stop that business until it was healed.

I’m also glad that they have you on a watch list. Better that than the alternative.

Houns

Thought I hadn’t seen you post on here in a while. Wishing you all the best. You’ll be ripping the forest once it’s dry again

tjagain

Errmmm – dunno what to say really

spacemonkey

Oof, that’s quite a blurt there mboy. Glad you’re on the mend and it’s brave of you to share. Here’s to a clean bill of health – and some riding – in 2023 and beyond.

dovebiker

Oh man, that’s something to have to go through! Hope the doctor’s prognosis is good and wishing you a speedy return to health.

matt_outandabout

What a shit time. In so many ways.

Here’s to remission and recovery – and see you on the trails some day.

nickc

Blimey @mboy what a tale! So sorry to hear about it all. sounds like you swerved a  big one, although I’d imagine having a camera up your bum every3 months won’t feel like it!

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Well done on your persistence! I’m sure most would have accepted your GP’s prognosis.

Hopefully you’re on the mend now and over the worst.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not sure what the phrase is I’m looking for – sorry to hear what you’ve been through, delighted to hear that it’s now good news.

And massive respect for sticking to your guns and fighting your corner.

chaos

Wow

Is another upside that you found out your Dad does actually care?  Hope the dinner brings you together.

TiRed

Shit happens (I hope). Glad it sounds like you are on the mend and hopefully cancer-free. You don’t get cancer, the whole family does. As you’re more than aware.

And if you fancy a go on the ‘bent trike (no saddle) just head up Windsor way for a day out.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Haven’t yet seen the GP that refused to say there was a problem with me 15 months ago

Please put in a formal complaint.

Yak

Blimey. Finger’s crossed that’s it now and you are on the mend for good. Get back on your bike when you can and enjoy it.

kimbers

wow mboy, rollercoaster there

as someone whos seen the inside of more cancerous colons than I care to remember (in research rather than medicine), I’m glad theyve got yours cleared out, its a bugger of a disease and bowel cancer is something no one wants to think or talk about, it effects everyone, even though its predominantly older people plenty of young people get it too.
    I have seen people from all walks of life and all ages, I know of 1 very well known politician and 1 very famous actor who have had bowel resections to remove tumours, neither went public and both have resumed their careers- its weird 2 very famous faces and have a picture of their bowel in Nature, but will never know!
    Its a disease we are slowly beating, very disapointing to hear that you were ignored, early detection is key, sounds like your persistence was well worth it.

jolmes
    Free Member

Bowel cancer was what killed my dad, exact same symptoms as you’ve described and also told by his doctor it was piles, nothing serious was wrong. He made the mistake of not getting a 2nd opinion and carried on as normal. We buried him 18 months later after it has spread to almost every part of him. The doctor was struck of 5 years later we heard as she had misdiagnosed many other patients regarding to cancer, I wish I could remember her name.

I’m glad you had the foresight and strength to get a 2nd opinion. Fk Cancer.

ayjaydoubleyou

a camera up my bum once every 3 months for the forseeable

technology is so good these days, be thankful there’s no phosphorous flash, or a sketch artist having to go up there.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

So… The moral of the story if there is one… FFS if you believe there’s something wrong with you, get it checked… And get a 2nd opinion too… Hell, get a 3rd, 4th and even 5th opinions if required! You know your body, you know if its changed! I’ve had a few moles removed in the past because I’m quite prone to them and there being issues with them in the family, this was just a bit more than I expected but I’m very very glad I persisted with the second opinion, even more so after my news this morning!

This.

All the best op – happy trails before too long!!!

TiRed

And although not available yet, this study of a subtype of bowel cancer sensitive to PD-1 was nothing short of remarkable. Trials like this just don’t happen. In a small trial of susceptible patients there was a 100% complete response rate. (Disclaimer: I’ve worked on this drug).

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2201445

I’d also be reporting your GP.

Poopscoop

Bleedin’ hell op. That’s one hell of a rollercoaster. I can relate to it in a small way though my little journey was less sever and far more time compressed thankfully. You’ve only got this news this morning so you still have a heck of a lot to get your head around.

It sounds and I really hope, that you’ve dodged a bullet here.

A lot to take in though, to state the obvious, for you and your family.

Be a selfish bugger for a while, you’ve earned it.

roverpig

Wow that is quite the saga. A lot to cope with but the final outcome sounds positive at least. Fingers crossed that’s it now.

What were these “bowel problems” by the way? Just so we can all start worrying 🙂

Sandwich

Glad you’re on the mend.

It might be better for both parties that we never bump into each other, cos I’m not sure I would be especially polite if we did!

Letter to the practice manager setting out the clinical errors and let the bureaucracy sort it out. Be polite to their face and let the process take its course.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Sound rough, hope all turns out well

How did the gp know there was a lump originally, was there a colonoscopy? And if not how/why did the consultant that saw you 6 months later think it was ‘urgent’?

About ten years ago i was crapping out blood and the gp told me it was piles. It clearly wasn’t and I insisted on paying to get a colonoscopy. They yanked out a massive polip which the consultant thought would have turned cancerous in a few years. Now get a camera up the bum every 3 years or so

So yeah.. always get a second opinion

Andy_B

You had picolax and you needed something stronger?

mboy
    Free Member

Thank you for all the positive words guys, means a lot… 👍🏻

I’ve spent the last couple of days struggling to process a lot of things, and am still incredibly angry with those that have neglected my case, but am determined not to let it get the better of me and to focus my anger for the good… Here’s to the future at least!

About ten years ago i was crapping out blood and the gp told me it was piles. It clearly wasn’t and I insisted on paying to get a colonoscopy. They yanked out a massive polip which the consultant thought would have turned cancerous in a few years.

Yeah, basically that… The GP I saw 15 months ago refused to even acknowledge it was there. I knew it was there, he said it was “just some faeces”… **** ****!!! I knew it was attached to me, he just wanted me out of there… Because he’d dismissed it, it then took me 6 months to get the referral for a 2nd opinion at the hospital, despite me pushing and pushing for it!

You can understand why I’m furious… There I was, shitting lots of blood, know there’s a lump up in there, and the Doc couldn’t even be arsed to inspect me properly!

chewkw
    Free Member

Yeah, basically that… The GP I saw 15 months ago refused to even acknowledge it was there. I knew it was there, he said it was “just some faeces”… **** ****!!! I knew it was attached to me, he just wanted me out of there… Because he’d dismissed it, it then took me 6 months to get the referral for a 2nd opinion at the hospital, despite me pushing and pushing for it!

You can understand why I’m furious… There I was, shitting lots of blood, know there’s a lump up in there, and the Doc couldn’t even be arsed to inspect me properly!

I say vent it out on the GP while you are still able. Seriously go tell that GP off. Don’t bottle it because s/he has not done what a GP supposed to do. Just because s/he is a GP does not automatically make him/her an angel. The GP is basically playing roulette with yours or people’s life.

This is unfinished business (GP) that you must go back to sort it out. Clear this out while s/he is still around. This is the negative energy you need to get rid off immediately.

Once you have done that, you need to create a check list of things you need to do. i.e. repay, or correct or clear whatever “mistakes” or things from the past. Then proceed to free your mind and continue with your life with your love ones by creating positive atmosphere.

anagallis_arvensis

Glad you are ok and really hope you stay that way. Went to a good friends funeral yesterday she was 42 and had two young kids….. **** cancer

grimep
    Free Member

You poor bastard. Sounds like hell – its times like that when even the non-religious try a bit of praying. Fingers crossed for you.

Lost my mum last year, bowel cancer, she’d seen several doctors over the years for what she thought was irritable bowel syndrome. She was a bit alternative-medicine and had self diagnosed and experimented with various ‘gut friendly’ diets. There’s a vast industry behind alternative medicine which grinds my gears, quack cures a plenty. So you could say the doctors missed it, or misdiagnosed, but as I wasn’t party to those meetings I’ve no idea if any were negligent. You can have a bowel tumour for 10+ years without realising it. So we went from normal life to funeral in 4 months. And of course she’d missed the best of a year and a half of grandkids and visits because of covid rules.

So as mentioned, any worries or doubts, get it checked out, and don’t trust the first doc you see. Don’t worry about being branded a hypochondriac for insisting on a BC test.

jamj1974

I hope you have a speedy and full recovery mboy.

I have found that this is a safe place to vent and reading someone else’s experiences does make a difference.

jekkyl

Glad to hear your cancer journey gave a good outcome. I was diagnosed with a malignant arse tumour 2 years ago. I lost the use of my arse and now shit out my tummy, so you were lucky! 😉😄
    If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation and finds this post in the future or right now feel free to message me for an instant friend and a no nonsense approach. 💪👊

Beagleboy

Really glad to hear it’s worked out well for you. I’ve been down a similar road the past two years. At the start of lockdown I was having bowel problems with periods of…

Diarrhea
    Constipation
    Blood in poop

I put it down to irritable bowel syndrome (Google diagnosis), as I wasn’t going to bother my GP with an upset stomach when people were dying of Covid. I decided that the blood was due to piles because of me straining so hard during the periods of constipation. When I eventually spoke to my GP at the end of the first lockdown I was rushed into hospital where they found I had advanced bowel cancer. Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy and two rounds of major surgery later and the cancer is all gone.

I laughed and joked about it to everyone at the time, but it is a very scary experience. If you want to have a blether about it, feel free to drop me a PM.

Craig

mboy
    Free Member

I was diagnosed with a malignant arse tumour 2 years ago. I lost the use of my arse and now shit out my tummy, so you were lucky!

**** man that’s tough!!! 🤯 Sorry to hear that, hope you’re managing ok given the situation…

Diarrhea
    Constipation
    Blood in poop

I put it down to irritable bowel syndrome (Google diagnosis), as I wasn’t going to bother my GP with an upset stomach when people were dying of Covid. I decided that the blood was due to piles because of me straining so hard during the periods of constipation. When I eventually spoke to my GP at the end of the first lockdown I was rushed into hospital where they found I had advanced bowel cancer. Radiotherapy, Chemotherapy and two rounds of major surgery later and the cancer is all gone.

Christ man! Well done for dealing with it though… I gotta be honest, our stories are quite similar albeit I haven’t yet had to have Radio or Chemo therapy (and I seriously **** hope I don’t!)… I perhaps didn’t delay as long as you though, I knew something was up, I’ve had IBS for a long time but this was much much worse… The Doc that dismissed my heavy bleeding though… 🤬

Off to Hospital tomorrow for another CT Scan, MRI and blood tests to follow ASAP… Hopefully know a little more about what the next few years holds for me in a couple of weeks! At least they’re taking it seriously now and watching my health like a Hawk…

reeksy

Fingers crossed for you.

chewkw
    Free Member

The Doc that dismissed my heavy bleeding though…

Not sure what is their rational for dismissing.

If it is internal injury, like mine, the passing of blood is like water hose. Nearly died as a kid if not for my mum nursing me back. Blackout was common for me in those days and on a bad day I could be blackout for the entire day. Doctor dismissed it as piles. Took nearly 10 years with traditional Chinese medicine to slowly heal the injury.

bearnecessities

Weird isn’t it. 10 years and a couple of days I’ve been registered here, and isn’t it upsetting/weird how thing change and life happens to names you’ve ‘known’ – best of luck MBoy and I still remember you randomly posting a pic of you holding your newborn, Jekyll, as well as other familiar names

xcgb
    Free Member

Well now,

My recent experience of this!
    I went to the docs with symptoms in April this year,(pooing out blood) he couldn’t find a reason but sent me for a colonoscopy just in case (said don’t worry only 3% have anything serious)
    glad he did as at the colonoscopy they told me I had a tumor and it was cancerous, not a nice thing to hear!

So that was April 23, I had a CT scan 2 weeks later and they confirmed that it hadn’t spread (that was a long 2 weeks!)

Had robotic surgery at the end of May to cut out a section of my bowel and rejoin, which was incredible. Had the op Friday morning, and was home on Sunday evening no stitches, 5 holes in me all glued up they had me up and walking on the evening of the op.
    I have just finished 3 months of Chemo which was harder than the op, and am waiting to see my consultant in December to see how things are looking now
    My experience was better than yours it seems but I just wanted to say that I agree if you have symptoms get them checked, I am glad I did!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.