• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What 8gb memory card for Nikon D7000
  • Aus
    Free Member

Seem to be a huge variation in price for a card (£8 – £60!) … what’s the difference for using with a Nikon D7000?

And any recos pls?

Thanks

GrahamS
    grum
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with Transcend cards from Mymemory or 7DayShop – beware of fakes on ebay.

footflaps

Speed of the card makes no difference to camera performance, so don’t spend a fortune on fast cards. Although fast cards are quicker to download to a laptop etc.

grum
    Free Member

Speed of the card makes no difference to camera performance

Think I read it can make a difference for HD video (you need above a certain speed) and how fast the buffer clears when shooting lots of fast bursts IIRC. Never noticed meself though.

ericemel
    Free Member

as footflaps says, unless you plan to shoot rapidfire constantly – like bursts of 25+ shots, then the camera WILL be slower with a slower card, in that case you need ££££ uhs cards

I have a D7000 and have 2x16gb class 10 Transends and 2x32gb class 10 cheapo mymemory card and I cannot tell the difference.

I would not spend the extra £££ for a uhs card personally.

stumpy01

Years ago I had an SD card that would slow down the camera drastically when shooting continuous, whereas my Sandisk Extreme would keep going.

Perhaps SD cards are faster in general nowadays, but I always tend to go for a decent speed card.

GrahamS

There are differences in card speed, but probably not that noticable between decent cards.

Rob Galbraith has a nice database of different cards in different cameras. No D7000 in there but the D90 should be roughly similar:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9597

But the main reason I use SanDisk, aside from speed, is that they are very reliable. They were one of the original developers of SD cards and they know their stuff.

Cougar

+1 for SanDisk, bought from a reputable source (ie, not someone in the far East on eBay).

ericemel
    Free Member

stumpy01 – was your camera a DSLR or compact?

SD speed can make a huge difference to a compact as they write to the card much more often, while a DSLR has quite a decent buffer and only starts writing when continuously shooting once the buffer is full.

GrahamS

only starts writing when continuously shooting once the buffer is full.

I don’t think that’s quite right. As I understand it, it starts writing straight away. If you shoot continuously then you constantly try to add to the buffer while the camera constantly tries to empty it by writing to the card. Once the buffer is full things slow down because you have to wait for it to finish writing at least one shot before it will fire again.

So a faster card means the buffer doesn’t fill up as quickly, which means you get full speed continuous shooting for longer.

stumpy01

ericemel – Member
    stumpy01 – was your camera a DSLR or compact?

Nikon D80.

I can’t really remember the details now, but I bought a main use card for the camera when I got it (Sandisk Extreme) and then a back-up card, that just stayed in the camera bag.
    I tried it out once just to see whether there was any difference, so stuck the camera in shutter priority and to something like 1/200th so shutter speed was well above 3fps. I wasn’t taking pictures as such, just wanted to see if I could discern a difference between the cards; the Sandisk Extreme was loads quicker.

EDIT – missed GrahamS’ post above, while typing, but his description sounds correct. I could only get a few shots with the cheap card before things slowed down, whereas with the fast card it would start at 09, and go down to 05/06 flickering between them for as long as you kept the shutter down.

ericemel
    Free Member
    Aus
    Free Member

thanks all … Sandisk ordered

DrJ

The only time I had a card fail, it was my only non- SanDisk card. Not a statistically significant result, but now I stick to SanDisk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What 8gb memory card for Nikon D7000’ is closed to new replies.