Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What 50c gravel tyre?
  • slowboydickie

There doesn’t seem to be much choice. a few 47c seem to be available but “How much?”. Guess with limited frames with that clearance means the tyre companies don’t bother.

So far considered Michelin 700c Power, Teravail Rutland, but at £60 each end that’s a bit pricey.

For a long distance gravel machine that will spend half its time on the road.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

I am using a Gravelking SK 50c, not sure what the availability is like though.

13thfloormonk

Would 45mm cut it? Pirelli do the Cinturato Gravel H 700×45 which I’m considering as a replacement for my Vittoria Terreno Dry.

I agree that options suddenly dry up beyond 700x40mm!

a11y

I’m using Clement (Donnelly) X’Plor MSO 700×50 in less muddy seasons but availability appears to be an issue now. They size up truer to size than the Schwalbe G One Ultrabite 700×50 I’ve got on at the moment.

intheborders
    Free Member

I am using a Gravelking SK 50c, not sure what the availability is like though.

Me too, and only 2 mins in an hour slower than 28c slicks I’ve got on another set of wheels.

slowboydickie

I have ripped 2 GK SKs so I stopped using them a couple of years ago…not sure of they improved that aspect more recently. Also Bonty GR2 seem to pinch flat when tubeless.

I am liking the Raddler in 40mm but I can’t find the 44mm anywhere.

The Pirelli is an option too but the price in’t far off the Michelin and Teravail.

alan1977
    Free Member

got the SK’s in 650×1.9 on my hybrid thingy…
    they are genuinely awesome to me, and decent price
    considering changingg the rear to a gravelking semi slick, but not sure there will be any real world benefit

ahsat

Yeah I’m not sure I’m the biggest fan of the GravelKings in terms of robustness (though I did have tan wall). They are fast rolling, but not great when it gets loose/muddy. The Terravails are however excellent, and the 47 was good over 40 miles round Aberfoyle the other week. I am a big fan and tbh I think worth the money (given all tyres are expensive!). Also wished they came in a 50 mm.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How about a 29×1.9?

Relatively cheap and about the right size with very little tread.

addy6402

I’ve used WTB Venture 700x50c which size up well, are fast on smooth terrain and grip ok until it gets more muddy…

QUICK EDIT tanwalls are <£30 at CRC with current extra10 code.

honourablegeorge
    bigtimebones
    Free Member

Me too, and only 2 mins in an hour slower than 28c slicks I’ve got on another set of wheels.

Did a near 60 mile road ride at the weekend and they were excellent considering the size of them.

I think the Plus sidewalls you can get have made a huge difference to punctures/ripping.

ton

schwalbe big apple with race guard. or if you are hefty like me, schwalbe big ben greenguard.

tough and hefty, but proper quick.

damascus
    Free Member

@slowboydickie I was in the same position as you. In the end I went with 40c so I could still fit mudgaurds. Not sure if it’s the right decision or not. In the shop I put 40c and 47c of the same wheels and it wasn’t that much difference.

Went with maxxis gravel and they have been really good so far.

slowboydickie

The WTB look great value but I would need a bit more grip in mud. I’ll get some for the summer though. I’ve gone for Rutland from bikemonger.

ton

teravail sparwood last only 3000 miles on my fargo.
    the rear was almost bald, and then the sidewall split 10 miles from skipton on the dales 200.

very expensive, and not very durable tyres. IMHO

100psi
    Free Member

I use Big Apples raceguard in 29 x 2.35 on my hard tail commuter. Great on urban roads and canal tow paths. They are heavy but so far appear bombproof. I was in a similar situation wanting a fast rolling big tyre that filled the frame and fork. Only downside is the weight when going up any sustained incline.

footflaps

teravail sparwood last only 3000 miles on my fargo.

I would say that’s a good mileage, I only get 5000km out of my road tyres before they’re through the wear markers (GP5000s) and they quite often don’t make that – just retired one with two side wall slashes. I’ll live with one tyre boot in there, but two is pushing my luck a bit…

snotrag

Really like the Goodyear Connectors on my Sonder Camino in 700x50c. Feel faster on the road than WTB resolute in 42mm, but massively more cushion off road.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme

I have the 38c but they’re available up to 2.0”

I find them to be a good compromise between being fairly light (29×2.0 is around 640g?), decent protection and yet being (very) quick IME as they rip on road and light gravel.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-supreme-2016

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m using some 2.0 thunderburts that I’ve had rolled up in my spares box. Replacing some Rambler 45’s. No appreciable speed difference but a bit more comfort and a bit more control when hitting unexpected mud patches.

robingrant

@snotrag – How do the Connectors handle the mud compared to the Resolutes?

h4muf
    Free Member

Connectors aren’t great in mud but they are fantastic tyres.

mboy
    Free Member

The new Schwalbe G-One Overland in 50mm…

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/tyres/gravel-bike-tyres/schwalbe-g-one-overland-tyre-review/

A few of the usual European shops have them already… 👍🏻

lardman
    Free Member

WTB riddler? @45c
    Chainreaction Sale for 24£ right now. Bargain.

kerley
    Free Member

WTB riddler? @45c

I just bought a pair of 44c TCS Raddler for £17 each. They replaced my wire bead 40c Nanos as I had the clearance in frame.
    Problem is, and this needs to be considered for those looking for bigger tyres, they are only 40mm in width and around 36mm in height and are actually smaller than the 40c Nano’s they replaced!

So do I need to get 50c tyres if I am actually after 45mm wide tyres?

pigyn
    Free Member

Hutchinson Tundras go up to 45mm and are fantastic, as mentioned the Pirelli equivalent goes up to 50mm

They are both made by Hutchinson, but weirdly the black Tundras are currently made in the far East, if you want the best tubeless fit/reduced shipping miles of the made in France tyres go tan wall. The black Pirellis are made in the French factory.

The Tundras are slightly cheaper.

kuman
    Free Member

I can recommend Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M 700x45mm, they are actually 48mm on 20mm internal rims.
    Good all round tyre.

sillyoldman

Mezcals and Terreno Dry both come in 29×2.1 (52mm) – any use?

chakaping
    Free Member

I was surprised the 44c Raddler (sold by CRC as 45c) came up smaller than the 42c tyre I was already using.

Still a nice, usable width for me. Anyone know how big (small?) the 40c Raddlers come up?

kerley
    Free Member

Yes a good tyre and still a good width, I was just trying to take advantage of the clearance I have.

lardman
    Free Member

I just measured my 45c Riddlers (not Raddler) on 21mm internal rims and they come up exactly 44mm.
    So, pretty close.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Been impressed with Vredestein Spotted Cat 29×2.0 on the gravel bike/tourer.

Kamakazie

The Pirelli’s are great and do size up large.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.