Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What 30.9 dropper post?
  • bearGrease

I’m looking for a 30.9 dropper post for my 29er HT. Currently the Thomson and the Reverb are on the shortlist but I just can’t decide. Any real world advice? Any others to look at? As I’m more XC than “Endurooooo” should I plump for a 100mm post?

The Thomson site has some good drawings with dimensions but I’m struggling to find the same for the Reverb. Anyone know where they are?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thomson – new and unproven, personally would like to see how they hold up over the winter since the only other moving part they make is a seat clamp and still has the cable at the saddle problem.
    Reverb – well proven but seen a lot of kinked hoses from poor runs when it drops – stealth stops this but requires bleeding to fit/remove. There used to be a 100mm available but I think it weighs the same so if you have room for the 125mm drop then go for it.
    KS Lev – Had mine for 3 months now, no complaints after it was fitted, bit of a fiddle to get the cable trimmed but been faultless since. I think they have a new UK distributor now.

Unless there is any weight saving if you can fit the full length drop go for it.

joeelston
    Free Member

You can get the Lev with the 150mm drop in the 30.9 size.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma , went for the thomson in the end because of the reputation for making well engineered products, especially seat posts.

Only time will tell though if it was the right decission, but after about 12 hours of riding so far it’s still rock solid and as smooth as you get.

thepurist

No criticism of the Thomson or dvatcmark, but I’d even have expected a Kronolog to still work after 12 hours. Probably. Wasn’t there a thread on here where someone had sent his back too, not sure how that panned out.

Lev here, fitted last year, took it apart a few weeks ago to give it a bit of a lube but other than that it’s just been ridden. FWIW it was working fine before the lube but I’m a compulsive fettler and decided it was time – it’s a tiny bit smoother now, or that’s what I’m telling myself.

bearGrease

Thanks for the tips. It’s now a toss up between the Lev and the Thomson, I think an issue on the Reverb’s remote would put it out of action.

A bit more research required! Can’t seem to work out what the current KS model is.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Had my reverb for nearly 3 3/4 years only had a problem in the first month, has been fine ever since, never had problems with the remote, its pretty well worn now after being used 3-4 times a week 12 months a year, the black shaft finally got a small line down it from a piece of grit, i got lazy and didn’t clean my bike, still works fine a bit slow in action and has a bit more twist in it , just bought a new one to replace it , my new frame is 31.6mm , have been running the old 30.9mm with a shim, thought it was time to retire it to my wifes bike :D. should last for another 5 years on her bike 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://kssuspension.com/products/seatposts/
    They make a few
    The LEv is the fixed cable new one, the Supernatural/dropzone looks to be an evolution of the i9xx series – my i900 is running fine after 3 years (had 1 issue out the box and it was fixed)

stevied
    Free Member

LEV here. Used it @ Coed-Y, Antur, FoD and general riding around the Malverns. Been absolutely faultless and love the simplicity of a cable operation. Remote lever is nice and ergonomic too

ddmonkey

I have had 2 Reverbs, not had any problems been using them for about 18 months.

66deg
    Free Member

I have the Lev on one bike and Thompson on the other so after comparing them both i would get the Thompson it works better and is more solid.
    They have been supplied in the states for over a year now and i have not found any online horror stories and lets face yanks shout loud when somethings not right.

nwill1
    Free Member

My choice was guided by price, i couldn’t wouldn’t pay £300 for a seat post, Reverb has a very good reputation and at £165 brand new was a more acceptable price.

It’s certainly a game changer mind, I’d be lost trail ridding without it now!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got a Reverb and really rate it but I’d bever pay full price for it. I bought mine cheap from Wiggle at the start of the year and its been great so far. I run my lever under the bar to offer it some protection from knocks and crashes – it feels liek it is in the perfect place where my left hand shifter used to be.

I’ve only bled it once and it was a piece of cake and it didn’t really need it but whilst I was faffing with the hose length it seemed like a good idea. My only issue with it is the cost of spares.

The Thomson looks pretty nice and all of my Thomson stuff has been flawless.

A demo bike I rode had a Lev and I wasn’t sold on it – the fixed cable entry point is great but I don’t think that the lever action felt as smooth as it did on my Reverb. I couldn’t get on with the lever being part of the grip either because it was too close.

I think though we have got to the point where if you but a KS or a Reverb you’ll get a pretty sound post.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My choice was guided by price, i couldn’t wouldn’t pay £300 for a seat post,

Me too, but then again I didn’t buy a seatpost in the traditional sense I bought something that goes up and down via a bar control with infinite adjustment and all the rest.

Northwind

I’ve got 2 KSs, the old i900 and slightly less old i950. Both been very good, fairly troublefree despite scottish winters, just occasional servicing really. The i900 didn’t work from new but was fixed, eventually, on warranty, since then it’s had a new main bushing but been pain free. Extremely crashworthy- the lever is durable and all the other bits are standard gear and brake parts.

The i950 has pretty poor cable mounting though, comes out the back so harder to get in a good place- more likely to interfere with suspension/tyres, especially with the 150mm of drop.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Is there a decent option with no remote/hose/cable these days?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What 30.9 dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.