What 2nd hand full suss XC frame, idea's?

Home Forum Bike Forum What 2nd hand full suss XC frame, idea's?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What 2nd hand full suss XC frame, idea's?
  • z1ppy

Decent frame with proper XC angle’s, & 100mm travel (fork/rear) & not unnecessarily heavy, & can be had for £300 or less 2nd hand?

Marin MV (old style) and Giant Anthem pop instantly to mind, Trance’s always seemed too heavy. What else was/is there?

EDIT: missed out the main bit “FS”, in the title to start with.

Saccades

merida LRS

legend

Anthem x ftw

rexated

I have a Turner Nitrous frame I’m selling……….only 80 at the back though didn’t feel that shy of the 100mm i had on a Flux previously.

You might find an older flux for £300.
    Trek Fuel?
    Older Yeti asr?

z1ppy

Never actually ever seen many of those merida’s about (actually only one, on here..).
    OK, I’ll add, need to have a std/nonproprietary type/sized shock

Again this counts out the Trance (weird shock size) and also the Epic frames.
    Due to the fact that as a 2nd hand, it may need a new shock at some point in the future.

IA

newer shape trances aren’t too bad, anthem X is a chunk lighter though if you can find one.

FWIW I got my trance frame (new) for under £500… might be worth shopping about…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Get the Anthem if you want proper XC angles, Trance is very short in the TT – rubbish for racing on (I’ve had both).

z1ppy

Nah the budget is £300 max, thats non-negotiable, and as I want this to be easy/quick-ish I don’t want to be hunting around for elusive bargains
    (ei. Turners)

Hense my post, otherwise we’d be after a SC Superlight.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Totally leftfield idea, but they’re pretty cheap these days, ALL spare parts easily available, they’re light, pedal well, and are well suited to endurance racing (if not quite so short and steep as a lot of full on XC bikes)…

A Maverick ML7/7.2/7.5

I’ve seen a couple go for £300 or less recently!

ChunkyMTB

I just picked up a mint 09 Cannondale Scalpel for £330. Loads of bargains out there.

z1ppy

ohh can you really get Maverick 7’s for that money?
    Personnaly always lusted after them.. though the shock does count against it, in this case.
    As it for a friend and I can’t recommend something like that, when the shock may need replacing & end up being a nitemare to source (or just down right expensive).
    If it was for me, I’d take the risk..

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Seen ML7’s going for as low as £200 for a ropey one, and good condition ones for as low as £300 yeah!

Spares are easily available z1ppy. Simpsons Cycle Service (the guy used to work for the importers, Extra) has anything you could possibly need, and he can also undertake any servicing work on the forks and shocks too!

Also, as a company Maverick are great. I’ve emailed the owner before, asking for advice and opinions (he hangs around on the MTBR forum loads), and he has been more than happy to help! Emailed me back within a few hours, and with some comprehensive advice, and product knowledge (I was asking questions about a 6 year old frame too!).

But yeah, if it’s for a friend who doesn’t know so much about MTBing (hence I guess asking you), might be safer to go down the route of a much more mainstream brand.

z1ppy

But yeah, if it’s for a friend who doesn’t know so much about MTBing (hence I guess asking you), might be safer to go down the route of a much more mainstream brand

Yep, this is the case, he been riding for mtb’s for 30 years but just rides, and doesn’t worry about the latest fad. This in his word is very likely to be the last mtb he buys (I doubt it, as he’s only 56), so I need to recommend something that gunna last or be easily repairable/replaceable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What 2nd hand full suss XC frame, idea's?’ is closed to new replies.