Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What 2nd hand 29er frame to look out for?
  • Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Currently riding a SS rigid old version Scandal Mk2 – which I like a lot, but tyre clearance and head angle are limiting.
    What I’m looking for is a frame that has all following:

Simple to SS – either EBB or sliding drop outs
    Rigid or front sus compatible
    Clearance for at least 2.4″ 29er tyres
    Approx 68-69 degree head angle (think Scandal Mk2 is 72, so just want slacker than that)
    Stack a bit higher than a 12 year old XC bike…
    And preferable light as a scandal mk2 as well.

Not asking too much – In a perfect world it’d be a Ti Singular, but that’s way out of my reach.

Not sure what fits the bill – Can’t seem to find anything in the mainstream that might be easily available. 2nd hand or cheaper new is all the budget covers.
    There must be something obvious I’m missing?
    Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers

Premier Icon Clink

Trek Superfly ss frame, if you can find one secondhand?

Premier Icon sillyoldman

Got a Zealous Division Mk2 here if that works for you? Takes interchangeable horizontal/QR/bolt thru dropouts.

Size Lrg Silver.

Currently a built bike but could split.

http://zealousbikeco.com/?page_id=678

Premier Icon nuke

Been pondering this one myself for a good while as a Scandal v2 rider (albeit geared)…. closer i could get was Sonder Frontier but that’s not SS so sorry 🤷 Be interesting to see other suggestions

Premier Icon boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Stanton sherpa

Premier Icon swanny853

The old Santa Cruz highball Al is my rigid singlespeed. Dropouts are rock solid. Can’t recall the head angle. Clears a decent size rear tyre, not certain I’d be stuffing a full fat winter tyre in there but I confess I haven’t really pushed it.

Premier Icon haggis1978
    Free Member

Doesn’t have the sliding dropouts but a Trek Roscoe/X-Caliber would fit the bill. Identical frames so you could run it with the 120mm fork and 29er wheels if you want. I just bought a Roscoe 6 frame for £100. Very pleased with myself 😁

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

Highballs only fit a 2.25 tyre. Two 2.3s have rubbed on mine 🙁

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

The Onza Payoff is designed to take an Ebb. Fits all the other requirements, you’d have to find one used though.
    Kona Unit comes as a single speed, don’t think it’ll take a fork over 100mm though. Their may be other Kona frames with the adjustable dropouts though.

Premier Icon 087seb
    Free Member

Surly Karate Monkey or Krampus would fit your needs

Premier Icon Daffy

Niner Air 9 seems to fit your requirements. It’s also available in multiple materials to suit your budget.

Premier Icon bigginge

Chameleon?

Sliding dropouts (with dedicated single speed vairiants available as well as the standard plus and 29er sets).

Slack ish 67 degree head angle.

Lots of tyre clearance (I can easily get a 29 x 2.6 in with the drop outs pushed back a little).

Not sure how the stack or weight compare but I don’t think it’s particularly heave or low. Price might be a bit high from new though.

Premier Icon haggis1978
    Free Member

I think you need to define your budget OP. 2nd hand or cheaper new? What is cheaper new? A cheap new hardtail frame is different for different people.

A Chameleon 2nd hand frame isn’t what I would call cheap. You can buy a new Stanton or Cotic frame for the price they’re advertised for on Pinkbike.

Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thank all – some great suggestions in there that I wasn’t aware of.
    Gives me plenty to look out for second hand – Niner Air 9 would be perfect.

sillyoldman – will drop you a PM

Thanks all

Premier Icon dukeduvet

One more suggestion – Genesis High Latitude. Fit a -2 degree angleset, 120mm fork and you get a 66/67 degree head angle, takes 2.4 tyres easy. Short stem, wide bars and dropper all help make it a capable trail bike. Some versions can be run SS. I bought one to try out a 29er but its a really fun bike so have kept it. Steel so weighs 2.5kg for frame but can be built light. Cheap at about £120 sh. Not super long and low but I like that for all round riding.

photo

Premier Icon swanny853

Current chameleon would definitely be on my list as well, good point.

Reeksy, interesting- is that in the al model? I’m sure I’ve had a 2.4 ardent in there, which isn’t small. Probably on quite a narrow rim compared to these days though.

Premier Icon milfordvet
    Free Member

There’s still a few new Singular Puffin frames and forks available at Wheelsports. 399 euros frame 99 euros forks.

https://www.wheelsports.de/fahrradteile/rahmen-rahmensaetze/singular-puffin-rahmen.html?force_sid=d5fc9h7sbq6ih5vbbtomp4d226&listtype=search&searchparam=singular

70 degree head, EBB. My brain is telling me the mk2 took 29+ so loads of clearance I think provided you stump for the 170/135 hubs. I think Novatec do some cheapish. 100mm EBB so fat cranks too. Usually some kicking around in the sale.

Premier Icon YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

There’s a Chameleon frame in the classifieds that I’m selling, ridden once though so price reflects that, as well as that they are impossible to find new.

Free Member

Will take a look at geometry, suspect a little on the large side for me.
    Cheers

Premier Icon gringo

What about a Stooge?

Free Member

Stooge is on the list – but I’d want the option to also run a suspension fork in future. Which would mean only a MK1 or Mk2 stooge, both only have 1 1/8th headtubes which really limits fork options these days.

Would prefer to avoid replacing drop-out options – chameleon dropouts are £75quid!

Assume though that it’s unlikely to ever find an EBB on a light weight frame?

Premier Icon YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

The Chameleon dropouts are all adjustable so you don’t need the 142mm SS specific dropouts, but depends on whether you have a dedicated single speed wheel or whether you just run your existing boost wheel with a SS convertor kit. You can then just tension the chain and have an empty mech hanger

Free Member

That’s good to know about the chameleon drop outs – would be perfect. Unfortunately can’t stretch to the carbon frame on the classifieds, but will be keeping an eye out. cheers

Premier Icon joebristol

Would take a while to be built but you could probably go Marino – I’m sure I’ve seen they do sliding dropouts on some of the frames they’ve built. You get to pick your geometry and tyre clearance that way.

Pick the Reynolds 725 tubing and it shouldn’t be too heavy I wouldn’t have thought (won’t be carbon or alloy light as steel thought). Probably cheaper than a lot of the other frames mentioned like the Chameleon.

You do need to be prepared to wait a while for it though – I’d say about 5 months realistically.

Premier Icon gringo

Look for a mk3 Stooge, that will take a tapered fork and can do front suspension too. You may be limited to a max 2.3 rear tyre if going 29 tho…

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

How tall are you?

I have a little used 2013 Whyte 929 frame in medium that would tick all the boxes… Approx 68deg HA, adjustable dropouts, BIG tyre clearances (2.3” fits in with tonnes of room spare).

Free Member

mboy – have sent you a PM. Sounds interesting. Cheers

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.