Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What 2nd bike to complement Full suspension
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Everyone need a 160mm full suspension which I have but can’t decide what 2nd bike go get for when I am just on local trails and the other bike is overkill

What do people have?

joemmo
    Free Member

BMX.

Kidding – gravel bike obviously.

tomhoward

Just one?

29er hardtail.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Depends on your local trails. I am Dorset Hampshire boarder and ride rigid locally. Othe parts of the country I would go hard tail and others “gravel”.

euain

Cotic Solaris (29er hardtail as above) – demoed on a few weeks ago and it was a hoot.

mashr

TheBrick

Depends on your local trails.

This. I’ve got loads of trails near me but anything over a gravel bike isn’t worth it. Everyone’s version of ‘local’ varies

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Sorry should of said all ready have a road/gravel bike

mashr

So you’re already sorted then? Or you need something in between?

zippykona

Fat bike or 29 hard tail.

kayla1
    Free Member

Dirt jump bike, obvs.

chakaping
    Free Member

29er HT, plenty to choose from.

geex
    Free Member

This. I’ve got loads of trails near me but anything over a gravel bike isn’t worth it.

Where’s that then?

Can’t think of a single part of the UK I wouldn’t prefer a nice wee playful DJ bike over a gravel bike.

iforwilliams
    Free Member

A nice On-One Scandal V2 29er that ***ahem*** could be picked up in the classifieds? 😎

Onzadog
    Free Member

Went through the same thing recently. Went with a 29er HT. However, big bouncy bike has now become the second bike.

joemmo
    Free Member

if gnar and gravel are covered then a HT or fully rigid of some description. BMX, trials or some other kind of play bike would make sense.

guandax
    Free Member

Steel hard tail, and probably rarely ride the full suss.

kayak23

Fatbike obvs.

Always puts a smile on my face and the faces of passers by at the sheer ridiculousnocity of it.

But, very capable bikes too. Great for climbing and a hoot when wanging it down too. Also just great on the flat, boring terrain that many of us live near.

kelron
    Free Member

What’s good about a fat bike on flat, boring terrain?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Never felt the need for 160mm full sus ;0)

I’d recommend a boost framed 29er preferably steel that allows for 27.5+ tyres, I had planned to get a cotic, but got a silly deal on a chameleon and I love it especially in 29er 2.3 format, 130mm Fox 34 rhythm,
    I’ll happily ride it anywhere, was a blast in wharncliffe the other week, taken it to lakes and cutgate and at times it’s just faster than my full sus trail bike

my mates got a Ti kingdom vendetta again its rapid, someone recommended a pace bike and that looks a beauty too

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Rigid.

benp1

Well my MTB is a rigid Cotic Solaris so I guess if I was going more gnarr I’d go to a full susser

(disclosure – I also have a sus fork for my Solaris but haven’t used it in a while)

joebristol

A playful hardtail. I’ve got a 160mm travel bike that’s LLS and I fancied something s bit shorter /
    Steeper (but still modern geo) that wants to manual and pop off trail features for fun.

So that’s what I got – loads of hardtails would fit that description – although a lot are now getting longer and slackerer.

Vitus Sentier 27.5 was what I went for as the frame was going cheap and that’s the wheel size I had. Don’t rule out 29ers though if they have the right geo.

For me as well as a shorter reach I was looking for a lot of standover room and short chainstays (425mm). It’s exactly what I wanted it to be too – it’s capable with 140mm Pikes but it also doesn’t monster everything – it’s hilarious fun.

ta11pau1

Steel/titanium hardtail, 150mm forks, 27.5 semi plus tyres, stupid short chainstays, medium-long reach, sub-27lbs. FUN! 😀

Something like this 😉

First Look: Kingdom Vendetta X2. Versatile Titanium Hardtail On Test

sirromj

BMX, trials or some other kind of play bike would make sense.

Took me quite a long time until I opened my eyes to trials riding. A couple of people on here had recommended a trials bike to me after I mentioned about the type of riding I do due to lack of proper trails nearby. I still went ahead and got a long low (fairly) slack hardtail before I got a street trials bike though. Trials can be play or fun, but even learning just the basic skills is hard work and frustrating and takes perseverance, but worth it.

Also, it’s nice to go out on the street trials bike and not sit down on a saddle, it’s just not physically possible to sit and peddle on it. Go out on it for an hour and your bum doesn’t get sweaty and no saddle sores. It’s also the closest thing you’ll get to a full body workout on a bike.

kayak23

What’s good about a fat bike on flat, boring terrain?

Nothing more than they’re fun to ride. Flat, boring terrain is still flat, boring terrain, but hey, look at the massive tyres! 😂

roverpig

Plus massive grip can lead to crazy lean angles 🙂

geex
    Free Member

it never does though.
    because
    Fatbikers

philjunior
    Free Member

It depends.

HT can be quite versatile for bike packing etc, but an XC FS would be a better ride (if you choose carefully and put a dropper on).

Edit – Oh yeah and road bike, tourer, gravel bike, trials bike, bmx, dirt jump/street bike, track bike, CX bike are all valid options too. It depends what other riding you’d like to do – do you go to trails locally and wish you could get around them faster? XC FS would do that (and be fun if you choose well). Do you just want to play? Get a jump bike or something. Do you want to go further afield on less severe trails or road? Well, you get the picture.

Don’t buy a bike, buy a means of doing whatever riding you think you’re missing out on with your current bike.

Edit 2 – for me the second bike would be a commuter, racks, mudguards and tyres capable of a bit of rough stuff, dynamo lighting and built for reliability not out and out speed. It’s the bike I ride the most/enjoy the least, but it’s very useful.

steamtb

I had this quandary and went for the Norco HT 2 plus. I’ve been really surprised how much I’ve enjoyed it, great fun, brill for family cycles, general trails and trail centre stuff 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What 2nd bike to complement Full suspension’ is closed to new replies.