Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What 29er wheelset for xc / trail…
  • DT78
    Free Member

So not seem a thread for a while. Just picked up the scott scale I’ve been lusting after for a while. Want to upgrade the stock wheelset (keep them for training) but have a best set for race day / odd trip to Wales.

Stock answer is usually hope for these questions but they are a little heavy for my liking.

Want stiff and reliable. I am very tempted to shell out for carbon as I’ve saved a chunk on the bike itself.

Any decent deals about? Should I be looking at those Chinese carbon rims?

Weigh around 85kg in kit…currently run crests fine round afan, use Olympics for racing but they need regular tlc…and I can feel them flex when I push it

weeksy

Hope heavy? They’re as light as it gets at a sensible budget

nikk
    Free Member

I don’t know that carbon rims get you lighter wheels, FWICS they are similar weights to alu rims, you may save 10 or 20 grams. Benifits are supposedly more on the stiffness side.

I specd a wheelset for exactly the uses you mention, and with an eye on weight. I went for:

DT Swiss 240 hubs
    DT Swiss Revolution 2.0/1.5 spokes
    DT Swiss Pro Lock nipples
    Pacenti TL28 29er rims

Weight should be under 1600 grams, I never weighed them, but they feel light as all heck!

At this point, couldn’t be happier with the choice. Got them built up by actionsports.de , about 550 euro all in.

DT78
    Free Member

That looks a decent price. Think the stock wheelset is over 2kg so I’m looking for around 1600

doug_basqueMTB.com

Why not look at the Mavic ST´s? They weigh 1700g I think. I have just put tyres on a pair to test them but am waiting for a mech hanger to let me use the bike. Mavic also do a lighter SLR 29er wheelset I´m sure.

I also did a lot of miles on a set of SRAM Rise 60´s, they were pretty impressive. The rims were perfect and I HAMMERED them. I had some issues with the hub and I snapped the axel but it was replaced no questions asked under warranty. (Which was quite impressive as they were wheels on a test bike so I didn´t even have a receipt).

ssboggy

My chinese carbon rims from Light Bicycle weigh about the same as Stans Crests but they are in a different league stiffness wise

wonnyj
    Free Member

Nikk, are those Pacenti rims tubeless compatible? I’m in the market for something similar.

Buzzard
    Free Member

I’m looking at this with interest too. Looking at different options myself and was thinking those light bike carbon rims laced to Novetec hubs. Weight will be good as will stiffness and by my calculations you may get away with some change from £450.

DT78
    Free Member

Does that include custom charges?

I’ve got some barely used dtswiss 350 hubs from 2009 (built as 26″ wheels) I could reuse, though not sure if I can convert the front to 15mm… or in fact what rear hub the scale takes – I think it is 135 not the new 142.

Anyone used Roval c’s – I’ve seen them for around £750 which is quite a lot to stomach…

Sodajim

I went Light Bicycle wider 29’s on Hope Evo’s with DT Comps and brass nipples, apart from the rims all standard easily available and adaptable stuff.

Came in just under £400 using Rose for the spokes and weigh 1730g on my scales.

Maybe not super super light but blooming heck are they stiff, noticeably more so than my 26″ Sun Ringle Chargers on 27mm rims which come in at 1800g.

Buzzard
    Free Member

@DT78 – Yes including import charges on the rim, sourcing the spokes/nipples from Rose and the hubs from ebay – then local lbs build. Seems like a phaff though considering the full wheelset from light bike will probably come in at around £500 odd including charges (depending on exchange rate and if you get caught for charges on the full value).

Buzzard
    Free Member

Wonder if Light-Bike will give us a group discount if we can get a few interested parties to purchase at the same time?? Anyone else interested?

Sodajim

Buzzard Light Bicycle were quoting me about £550 for a wheel set based on Hope Hubs. You pay them by Pay Pal who I’ve found don’t necessarily have the best exchange rate either.

I built them myself but they are easy rims to build, you don’t need overly high tension to get the stiffness so you could get away with alloy nipples if you really want to watch the grams.

Just re checked and my wheels work out at about £420.00 so I saved the best part of £130 going down this route and have a little satisfaction riding rims I made to the spec I wanted.

takisawa2

Mmmm…a 45mm carbon 29er rim on some red Pro2’s. 🙂

Gee76
    Free Member

Lightbikes are releasing a new hookless 29er rim in the next few weeks too. 370g (+/- 15g) and 22mm inner width. Could be promisisng for a light stiff option. Torn between that and the 29er wide at the mo.

Would love them to do a Derby type wide 35-40mm rim for trial use though. Derby might have a bit of an “arrangement” with LB on that front though so LB might be reluctant to go there for a bit!.

I enquired about discounts for upto 10 rims an your talking maybe 5%. they may go better for bigger quantities. I may be interested in a bti of a group buy tho!.

Agreed the Xchange rate isn’t always that great via paypal.

DT78
    Free Member

Has anyone on here actually bought those derby rims yet then? They seem a slightly more expensive/heavier option than LB.

Happy to build the wheels myslef. They can’t be more difficult to work with than those flexy olympics.

Gee76
    Free Member

Would love the Derby’s but a step on again in price from the LB rims. Still not bad for Carbon, hoping LB are amenable to doing something a bit wider yet.

Maybe a wide/hookless rim is the next thing!!

Weight has gone up a bit after a bit of strengthening too, tho its worth bearing in mind that you “could” go to skinnier/lighter tyres as a result of the larger profile to compensate.

I beleive Gravity-Sports in Scotland are lookign at importing to the UK!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What 29er wheelset for xc / trail…’ is closed to new replies.