What 29er wheels?

• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by  Bream.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What 29er wheels?
  • STATO

Hi all

I have a Salsa spearfish and the stiffness in the frame is showing up the flex in my current wheel build, Hope Pro2 on Stans 355. So I’m looking for a new, stiffer, wheelset or some stiffer rims in can build onto my existing hubs (my preferred option). Was thinking Stans arch or flow might be a bit stiffer without adding too much weight, and the added rim width would be a bonus.

Any thoughts?
    Oh, and I am limited on budget so Crankbros wheels and any builds by Justridingalong (justoverchargingalong!) are out of the question.

Ta,
    Rich

tang

How is the spearfish btw? A frame Ive been looking at.

STATO

There are only 3 problems with the Spearfish, everything else about it superb, the ride, the handling, the finish etc.

Problems are
    1. PFBB30, only made by SRAM, they are crap, buy 2 and keep returning them for warranty.
    2. I used Problem Solvers adaptors to run my XTR cranks on above BB, however there is very little clearance between the chainstay and the chainrings, so any chainsuck immediately jams up the cranks. Annoying.
    3. The Horsethief, salsa’s new 120mm 29er looks like a better option unless your an outandout race head.

TooTall

Flows are great – mine have been stiff and tough despite my manly weight and oaf-like riding skills.

tang

Horsethief looks good.

Premier Icon dday
    Subscriber

Just changed to Shimano 29er rims. Light and stiff, and for 300 squids, a good deal.

jfeb

Arch on Pro2 here. Nice wheelset and no need to go up to Flows unless you are riding really rocky trails IMO.

Jackrabbit

The best 29ers are 26″

STATO

I had a Yeti ASR before this (26″ wheels) and it was great, loved it, but you just wouldn’t believe how well this thing goes uphill and its way better downhill. The 29″ wheels with suspension just amazes everytime! (my previous 29 experience was poor btw). The yeti was also like a noodle compared to the Salsa, that’s why I’m now noticing wheel stiffness where before even my Stans Olympics couldn’t be felt flexing because of the frame.

lipseal

I’m getting some mavic tn719 rims built onto hope hubs, 36h BTW. The main reason I opted for 36 hole was because they were the only hubs that I had. Here’s hoping they should be stiffer than 32 hole rims.

Bream

ZTR Crest, end of 8)

ZTR Crest, end of

Ditto, 18stone of idiot and Lee Quarry couldn’t even trouble mine…….

STATO

Are Crest that much better than 355’s? I understood they are the replacement for 355’s so no convinced they will be much stiffer.

Bream

Never owned 355s so can’t compare, but I guess it also depends what spokes you build with. I run DT Super Comps, AC hubs and Crest rims, extremely impressed, light, stiff and not overly expensive, can’t go wrong.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What 29er wheels?’ is closed to new replies.