Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What 29er to buy
  • gilesmartin81

Hi, I am looking for some advice on 29ers. I am trying to decide between the cotic Solaris max (silver build champagne) and a yt jeffsy.

Both are about £1700 and I love the steel hardtail but the spec and value combined with the reviews of the jeffsy are very tempting.

Any thoughts to contribute to a decision would be of great use.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Solaris and a Jeffsy? that’s 2 pretty polar opposite choices, only connected by wheel size.

chakaping
    Free Member

Where you gonna be riding it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

You’ve already decided on the colour and build of the Cotic, but the other one is just ‘good value for money’.

Buy with your heart, not your head; buy the bike you love.

8)

lewis75
    Free Member

My riding mate has just got one of these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-bikes-escarpe-29-vrx-suspension-bike-xt-1×11-2017/rp-prod146546
    10% cheaper with BC discount.
    It’s a beast.

bowglie

I’m going to be listing my large metallic gunmetal Mk2 Solaris for sale later on today (its only got about 15 hours worth of riding on it!), and it’ll be a bit less than £1700! A forum member on here has already expressed interest, so will give him first refusal. Let me know if you’d be interested.

gilesmartin81

Hi Bowglie, that may have been me last week? If it was send me the spec.

I think the Solaris is ideal for the riding I am planning to do. Mainly round Surrey hills and swinley.

Cheers giles

bowglie

Hey Giles, OK, no worries. It’s raining outside at the mo, and I don’t want to get the bike wet!

My OH has also ordered me to get over to B&Q with her – but will try and get some pics to you later on this afternoon.
    Cheers

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have a Solaris that I’ve converted to 27.5+ and a Jeffsy and they are very different bikes.
    Both excellent bikes but if I could only have one it’d be the Jeffsy.
    Mines built to a high spec from a frame only purchase but even so……
    Cheers
    Steve

bowglie

As far as the OP goes, I’d agree with the previous comments by Nobeer and Chapaking. I think a lot will depend on where and what you are riding. I have a couple of longish travel full sus 29ers and the Solaris is a real contrast. I demo’d a Solaris in Glentress and the Peak District and it performed well in both locations. For flowy trail centre and forest trails, the Solaris is great – more involving than a 140mm full sus 29er on most trail centre reds, not as energy sapping on longer climbs as both my full sus bikes, easier to clean and far less maintenance heavy than the full sussers. (On 4th set of pivot bearings in 4 years on my Santa Cruz). The Solaris surprised me on some of the rough Peak Descents – yes, it might not be as full on fast as my 160mm full sus 29er, but if your not into smashing through rock gardens at full speed, the Solaris really is good for a hardtail (you can tell it’s been designed by someone who rides in the Peak!). Only selling my Solaris because Mrs B is imposing the ‘one bike in, one out’ policy.

P.S. Giles, I’ve dropped you an email.

teadrinker
    Free Member

What size are you are looking for Giles?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I did a very quick demo on the Solaris last week with both the Max and 29 wheels, loved both in particular the Max which made me smile an lot. I have a BFe and am a fully signed up Cotic fan so for me it would be Solaris all the way. Versatile as with another set of wheels you a great xc bike, maybe cheaper wheels as a winter bike ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

BTW I was also a Surrey Hills regular for many years and I think the Max would work very well there

chipster

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SiU2dD]Area 61[/url] by Chip & Manda, on Flickr

Solaris.
    HTH

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What 29er to buy’ is closed to new replies.