Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • what 29er rims are you all running ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

i was going for stans arches but **** me JRA want silly money now for them … when i first started looking they were 55 quid each – now its 72 each plus a 10er for posting …

most other places dont have stock or only have white ….

do bontrager do anything rim only (32 hole) that i might be interested in – currently have mustangs but they are boat anchors …

looking at mavic 29er rims – anyone used them ? they come in at their quoted weight ?

anyone do complete 29er wheels or wheelsets on decent rims in 32 hole ? – that aint 700 quid ! no that fussed about the hubs as you cant really **** up a front hub and the rear will be stripped and put onto a rohloff if i bought a pair ….

failing that anyone on here selling a nice set of 29er wheels ?

useage will be reasonably fast rigid XC but mostly long loaded(think tour divide style loading – not silly heavy panniers loaded) touring rides

ton

kris holm big fat one’s 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

you said that last time i asked this ton (when we estabilished arches were the rim) they weigh too much for me at a svelt 78 kg 😉

ton

sorry………… 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

DT X470

luked2
    Free Member

Stan’s Arch, bought back in the day when they were not so pricey.

I also have a Bontrager Rhythm TLR which I got from the classifieds for not nearly enough money. I’ve only used it a bit but it seemed to cope with my lardiness on mildly rocky stuff (Quantocks, Dales). The hub is a bit suspect though.

TooTall
    Free Member

Halo rims. Oft overlooked but reasonable weight and tough as the old boots. Mine are 4 years old and going very strong.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I have Flows/DT Comp/Hope and Arches/DT Supercomp/Hope. I much prefer the Flows as they have noticably less flex for a little more weight but the spokes are likely to contribute.

I have previously used the Mavic TN719s too, which build into really nice wheels but are a bit portly for the width.

Think Hope are soon to release 29er hoops, which are likely to be cheaper than the component parts.

MrTall
    Free Member

Shame you don’t like white as they are ‘only’ £52 at Wiggle, £47 if you use a voucher. That’s where i got my 29er Flow Rims.

I’ve read good things about the Mavic rims although i don’t think they are as strong as Stans.

Sun Ringle do some good rims also, i’ve been very happy with my 29er Chargers. Having said that my 28h Bonty Race lights have been fine as well.

Looks like for you weight is the main issue so just go with whatever is lightest as at 78kg you’re unlikely to break them.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I run mustang’s on pro 2 which cope well, geared and SS

although my apparent slowness is not due to fitness but that the rims are

boat anchors …

😉

clubber
    Free Member

How heavy are the mustangs then? (They’re what I have and I can’t say that I’ve noticed them being particularly heavy).

pinches
    Free Member

i’ve just built some white crests onto proIIs

phatstanley
    Free Member

tn719 front.
    kris holm back.

i beat on ’em like they slagged off my grannie.

i weigh 200lbs -ish.

both still true.

trail_rat
    Free Member

well my current wheels are pro 2s on mustang (on another bike) and they weigh over 2kg…… thats boat anchor terratory cant say i notice it when i ride – it is bomb proof BUT id like my new bike to be lighter …

big_n_daft
    Free Member

cheap, light, strong

pick two

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve got halo on one and exal lx17 on t’other both tough but fairly lardy. I used to run bonty racelites and they were pretty lite and strong wheelset

trail_rat
    Free Member

or light strong good value – pick 3 …. im not being cheap i just dont think stans are worth the money they want …. and i have 355s on my race bike

the mavic tn rims are comparible weight at 510grams … cant see any reason not to go with them if thye come in close to that – arches are 540 after all …

big_n_daft
    Free Member

wait for the on-one carbon rims to land then

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I also get the mustangs @ 500gish

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mavics come in at spec’d weight IME.

I’d say the stans are worth it – they seem a bit stronger for their weight than mavics. Remember rim choice is only one factor in the wheel build (hub, spokes & time if you are building) but it’s the most important one for performance and obviously a complete PITA to change at a later date.

I’ve regretted building wheels with cheap rims to save money, but never with expensive rims that were what I wanted.

Aidan
    Free Member

Very happy with 355s, especially with their tubeless performance i.e. simple to fit and no concerns in use.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have 26inch 355s and i feel they are a bit flexy when im riding hard – i used to race DH and sometimes let that version of my loose when riding 😉

are the crests meant to be stronger than 355s despite lighter ?

paul.e reckons his crests were fine for bikepacking.

130 quid on crests (which are in stock) is alot of money to find they are the wrong rims ….

as for the build quality – i build my own.

trail_rat
    Free Member

just had a thought – thats highly likely because my 355s are 24 spokes

crests it is then lads !

cynic-al
    Free Member

Those on-one carbons look interesting, shame the lighter versions are pre-build only.

Not gonna be cheap mind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

carbon is not for me – certainly not on a rohloff rear wheel !

maybe if i built a niner carbon SS 😀

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Running TN719 both ends. Not especially light but they are a pretty good balance of weight, strength and cost.

Aidan
    Free Member

BTW, I was advised to use DT Comps instead of my usual Revolutions for 29er wheels. A friend said he said he could feel the difference in flex on bigger wheels. I haven’t seen the effect for myself, but I just went straight in with Comps.

rootes1

TN719

trail_rat
    Free Member

i always build with comps unless requested cheers though

not having a good time with the sapims on my hope hoops – never again !

have never in 10 years of trade seen good quality spokes snap in the middle of the spoke for no apparent reason … always at one end or the other. Nor have i seen supposedly stainless black spokes RUST !

keavo
    Free Member

you can get a pair of bonty rxl rims from ebay £55. lightish and tubeless ready (i think).
    i have crests, flows and bonty dusters. the crest is fairly new and on a front wheel so hasn’t really been tested hard. flows are excellent though. i’ve had arches (just sold them to a mate) good rims but i’d get flows for allround use and crests for a light wheel.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Flows if it was an almountain bike.

its a rigid 29er.

Those RXL rims look lovely but are 28hole – i already have a 32 hole rohloff:(

M6TTF
    Free Member

my scandal came with FSA 290 rims – promptly wrote off the back wheel within weeks – front one has been great. Had an Arch built up at BETD over near stoke – was £50 – worth a check if they have any left.

ceekay
    Free Member

Also 719’s here, not sure about weight. They were the cheapest welded rim I could find.
    I was told that Bontrager/Trek are not doing rims over here as they are pushing the wheelsets. A certain other mag said that Novatec TX’s were very good, best thet’d ever tested, 950g F, 1115g R

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

DT Swiss TK7.1s for me. They’re discontinued and Madison were knocking them out really cheap in the summer so you might get lucky if you look hard.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Running TN719s, they’ve been great so far. Pondered Stans Arch at the time of speccing up but decided they weren’t worth the extra £25 per end.

Probably would have gone for the Stans at £50 as BETD are selling them

trail_rat
    Free Member

to slow bimbler – i have already ordered them – i have the sneaky suspision that

Duc
    Free Member

I went for ARch as on the back end of my Dos Niner I can’t run anything bigger than a 2.2 so Flows seemed overkill

Can’t fault them – they survived with out a (serious) scratch when a tyre bead let go on the rear wheel and have stayed true for 18 months which is better than anything that has come before

mustard
    Free Member

A319s sfter someone on here said they were the same profile as the TN719 and I got them for £10 each 😀

Survive some monumentally rocky descents on my lightweight tour in Spain earlier this year, so I’m happy. Only broke one of my Sapim spokes -the bloke who builds my wheels swears by them and they cost less for both wheels than DTs for one!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Just had an Alfine/XT wheelset built for my new toy, a Haro Mary XC, and plumped for Mavic TN719s for no better reason than I quite liked the decals on them.

On riding it home from the bike shop this afternoon, I can report that they went round and round all the way home with no apparent issues.

Very little prospect of me ever grabbing any rad or sick air or drops on that bike or indeed any bike so I’m hoping they’ll stand up to my worst excesses.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Got stans 355 on the winter bike & some crest going on the on one carbon 29er frame what came yesterday.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘what 29er rims are you all running ?’ is closed to new replies.