Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What 29er rim
  • jonm81

As per title really.

My Stans Arch EX on my Roholff has died after 11 years of hard use. I heard the latest ones (Mk3) are prone to cracking around the spoke holes so not convinced on buying another one. What other tubeless rims do you recommend? Preferable one that cost less than about £70.

Thanks.

damascus
    Free Member

My answer is usually anything by dt Swiss however,

My Stans Arch EX on my Roholff has died after 11 years of hard use

I think youve answered your own question. Do you go off your own experience of a product or an online opinion where you have no idea what they’ve been using it for.

Do you think stans have got shite overnight? 🤔

gkeeffe

Dt Swiss xm481 would be ok. 30mm, Light and strong in my experience.

Northwind

Honestly DT are really hard to argue with these days. WTB were good for a bit but have gone pretty variable, the Frequency is still good but pretty heavy, the KOM won’t be tough enough for you I think. (they took a big misstep with the Asym but apparently it sold pretty well so now they’ve put that same misstep into half their range, it’s a bloody shame)

damascus
    Free Member

Do you think stans have got shite overnight? 🤔

The mk3 is a less good product than the Ex, much crackier. Nothing that happened overnight, they just didn’t keep up with competitors and ended up trying to spread not enough metal too widely.

If you could still buy a new Ex then it’d be a great option.

bigginge

If you want to keep things as close to where you are with the Arch EX then the DT Swiss XM 401 would be worth a look. Only 1.5 mm wider and 10 g heavier than the arch. But if you are running half decent sized tyres then it may be worth thinking about stepping up to the XM-421 or XM-481 as suggest above for something a bit wider without getting too much heavier.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/components/rims-mtb/all-mountain/xm-401

jonm81

Cheers chaps, just ordered a DT XM421 and new spokes from one of the German shops. 25mm width was recommended on the DT Swiss site for 2.25 tyres so went a little wider than the old Arch rim.

Like Northwind said if I could get another Arch EX I would but there are so many reports of the Mk3 cracking it’s not worth the risk.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What 29er rim’ is closed to new replies.