Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • What 29er Hardtail to buy?
  • rhid

I mean there is a lot of choice!

I have a budget of apporx £900 to get a 29er HT. I have seen the Cube LTD and had a ride round on it and it seems to be good, good spec, fits well, but it kinda just doesn’t really do it for me!

What other options have I got around that price? I am aware of on-ones offerings, Canyon have a good looking option (with a proper Reba fork), who else produces something with a decent spec. I know nothing about these rockshox XC30-32s, and if I am spending nearly £1000 I don’t really want Alivio stuff on my bike. It may be me being too fussy but I’d rather get something a bit more special 2nd hand than a new bike like that.

So 2nd Hand is definately an option for me too. Anyone know of anything nice in my budget in a small to medium frame size?

mattjg
    Free Member

XC or trailsy? What do you want to do with it?

klumpy
    Free Member

Voodoo Bazinga, with 400 odd quid left over to spend on another one, if you find a deal!

devash
    Free Member

2nd hand Cotic Solaris?

I know how you feel though as I am in the same situation. Demoed a Cube Ltd and can’t fault it for the price but there’s something not quite right with it. Its a bit ‘Mondeo’ if you know what I mean.

I had a look at the Specialized Crave which is about 200 above budget and it felt good but in typical Specialized fashion the wheelset is utter c*ap so despite the Fox fork and decent kit it doesn’t seem that good value for money.

The Whyte 29er series looks awesome and has some funky progressive geometry but I can’t get a demo anywhere and again, some of the stock kit is less than desirable for the price.

For me the bike that would suit the type of riding I want a 29er for (2 hour blasts round local woods and a do-it-all XCer for pootling) would be the Cotic Solaris, but it would have to be second hand as a new build would put me way over that £1000 ideal budget.

rhid

I would want it for trails and a bit of racing about on (stuff like the Dyfi). I keep coming back to the Kenesis FF29, but will check out the Whyte offerings too.

prawny

I’ve just ordered a Bazinga to dip a toe in the 29er waters. Cost me £486 with discounts. Should be picking it up tomorrow. Only thing that will need upgrading are bars and pedals IMO. Looks like you can even slip a tapered fork in there for future proofness if I like it.

Bregante

On One Parkwood. When it arrives.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29 is great rhid. I got my frame 2nd hand from ebay in mint condition, and built it at an XT level sort of spec, with Rebas and a collection of used or good value bits. Think you would struggle with a £1000 build if you need to buy everything, but it will probably no more expensive in the long run, as you will only end up upgrading the others. Think I spent about £1,000 and I used wheels I already had (Hope Pro 2 Evo with Crest).

Off topic: If you want a rigid fork to get you going until you can afford some suspension, I have a spare Kinesis rigid fork for sale. 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

IMO: look for short chain stays (430mm or less, be fussy about that) and slack head angle (68-69 degrees at 120mm). That bike will be a bucket of fun. The Parkwood should be pretty close. I have a Canfield Yelli Screamy but your budget won’t stretch to a new one.

I did a short ride on a FF29 and found it a bit harsh, it wasn’t for me. But lots of people love them.

Alternatively, buy an XC bike.

roverpig

I’ve recently swapped my FF29 frame for a Solaris (keeping all the other bits the same). The FF29 is a large, so too big for you though.

Personally I think they are both great bikes, but quite different to each other.

The FF29 is lighter and stiffer. In terms of efficiency it’s not far off a road or CX bike, but with 120mm forks it can still handle technical trails. Stamp on the pedals and all that power goes to the back wheel. It climbs amazingly well and the steeper angles make it amazingly agile at low speed. There are a couple of local climbs that are steep, loose and have a few very tight turns. I’ve never managed to ride up them on any other bike (including the Solaris), but on the FF29 they seemed almost easy. It’s not the most confidence inspiring descender though.

The Solaris, on the other hand, is heavier, less stiff and has more relaxed angles. That makes it harder to turn at low speed, a bit slower up long or super steep climbs, but more stable at speed and more suited to rough trails.

So, I’d say for:

Racing, take the FF29
    Long or steep climbs, FF29
    Routes that involve a significant amount of road miles, FF29
    Tight, twisty singletrack, FF29
    Open rocky descents, Solaris
    All day rides in big mountains, Solaris.

But that’s just based on my experiences with those two bikes. I dare say that there are other bikes that are equally excellent.

Clink

I’d agree with this about the FF29:

It’s not the most confidence inspiring descender though

Having ridden an FF29 and a Bizango I’d go Bizango every time. I built mine from frame only but the slacker ha and shorter stays is much better geo.

NormalMan

roverpig – Member
    I’ve recently swapped my FF29 frame for a Solaris

Wow, how did I miss that? I always enjoy your posts RP.

roverpig

Thanks. Fear not, you’ve not missed much 🙂 A recent broken arm has dried up my usual drivel somewhat and that’s the first post I’ve made about the Solaris. I dare say there will be more ramblings on the subject once I’ve ridden it a bit more.

mattjg
    Free Member

just when you think it’s safe to return to the forum … rover pig gets a new bike

slacker ha and shorter stays is much better geo

this gent and I are on the same page, a trailsy 29er HT is a go (almost) anywhere, do (almost) anything bike.

a race thoroughbred may be a smad quicker but it’s not material unless you’re going for an XC podium

NormalMan

@roverpig. I take it the arm is getting better then. I’ll be looking out for the Solaris shake down thread.

Back on topic, in good old STW tradition I’ve got to give a nod to my Spesh Carve. I’m really impressed with mine.

dpfr

The Whyte 29er series looks awesome and has some funky progressive geometry but I can’t get a demo anywhere and again, some of the stock kit is less than desirable for the price.

I have one of the Whyte 29ers and I love it. Fair point about the kit though

devash
    Free Member

I have one of the Whyte 29ers and I love it. Fair point about the kit though

I would buy one tomorrow on geometry and looks alone but I’d end up swapping all of the kit out straight away (SRAM to Shimano, dump the Avids, low rent coil fork? no thanks!).

Abused a boardman ht pro for 2 years with hard riding and 18 stone bouncing around on it. Only had to but new tyres and would only look to get the 29″ version, as per the new 2014 model. Though getting less use in last 8 weeks having gone fs with a cube stereo. Bit above your budget, but a good buy and one for consideration.

dpfr

I would buy one tomorrow on geometry and looks alone but I’d end up swapping all of the kit out straight away (SRAM to Shimano, dump the Avids, low rent coil fork? no thanks!)

Ah, so my plan isn’t particularly original then?

roverpig

just when you think it’s safe to return to the forum … rover pig gets a new bike

Oi, I resemble that remark 🙂 Point of order though, it’s not a new bike, just a second hand frame and all the old bits moved over. I swithered for ages over whether to change the frame as the FF29 is fantastic at some things. But it just so happened that I spotted a Solaris frame in my size and colour going for a decent price, so couldn’t resist.

@roverpig. I take it the arm is getting better then. I’ll be looking out for the Solaris shake down thread.

The arm is good enough to be able to ride thanks, which is good enough for me 🙂 Not good enough to be able to withstand a fall though, apparently, which is something of a worry and was a big part of the motivation to swap from the FF29 to the Solaris.

I wanted to wait a bit before attempting any sort of review of the Solaris. Partly because new bikes always feel good and partly because I don’t have anything original to say about it at the moment. This board is full of people singing the praises of the Solaris, so I’d like to wait until I’ve got something negative to say, which could take a while based on the evidence of the first few rides.

z1ppy

Those Whytes are good, if a bit long at the back end… if only they hadn’t dropped the 929 eh?
    The Parkwoods would be good if they’ve shortened the chainstays, (talk of it being the same as the Fireline)
    Bizango would be what I’d buy, try it out and if the forks were rubbish, flog em, and buy some nice ones with the spare cash.

roverpig

I find the focus on chainstay length with 29ers interesting.

When 29ers first hit the market some people loved them, but others claimed they were too long and part of the problem was the longer chainstays (which tended to be around 450mm) required to fit in the bigger wheel. So, manufacturers have worked to shorten the chainstays and we now have 29ers with chainstays down around the 430mm mark. Some people prefer this.

Meanwhile over at Mojo Chris Porter is arguing that we are all riding bikes that are far too short. His custom (26″) bike is currently (I think) using 450mm chainstays and he’s talking about going to 460mm.

Personally, I don’t think it makes any sense to talk about chainstay length in isolation. At the very least you need to consider ETT length and head angle as well to see where your weight is going to sit relative to the axles and also recognise that it’s all a trade-off anyway.

Comparing the FF29 with the Solaris, for example, the former has slightly longer chainstays and a couple of degrees steeper head angle. So, your weight sits a bit further forward relative to the two axles. Great for climbing and for low speed manoeuvrability, but a bit scary when you are barrelling down a rocky descent.

slackman99
    Free Member

A Trek Stache 7 if you can find one is a pretty decent bike for the money. I believe the label makers would call it a trail HT 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive just had the same dilemma I was set for the cube ltd but In the end opted for a mix of new and used and built up an on-one lurcher for 880 and very pleased with it

sync
    Free Member

Trek stache 7 or a specialized rockhopper pro evo if you want a more trails 120mm orientated 29er. I found dealers will do 10-20% off either if you turn up with the notes.

montarius
    Free Member

+1 for Trek Stache recommendations. Second hand price on ebay for the 8 is between £800-£900.

z1ppy

When 29ers first hit the market some people loved them, but others claimed they were too long and part of the problem was the longer chainstays ………..

My bike has adjustable chainstays, moving it from the (435mm) mid point to shortest setting made a noticeable change in the handling (better). That said I found the shortest (425mm) setting very weird (wheel right under the seat) & lengthened it back to (430mm) to get the bike to feel & handle right for me. I really should try the short setting again TBF though. So I can hand on heart say I prefer my HT with a shorter chainstays, from actual experience. That said I rode a long chainstay FS next to a short one and found less difference than expected (not long test though).

JPcapel
    Free Member

Trek stache 7 owner here.
    Best cheap bike ever !

Its got a decent length tt, making it comfortable for all day riding.

Whilst an ali frame, it feels like it has a reasonable level of comfort (suspect using Spez purgatory 2.3″ tyre is real reason for comfort).
    Nice angles, have played with setting travel at 140mm & 110mm definately better on the latter for benefit of snappy steering.
    Very low bb which gives excellent cornering grip.

Surprisingly quick DH as well.

Bought a Cotic solaris and sold immediately, realising the Trek, as a cheapy option, was just as good.

I do like the look of the titus fireline ti so may swap the trek on the horizon, but for now its excellent.
    Built with 1×10 XT groupset, incl brakes, reverb, Hope arch rims, thomson carbon bar, weighs 26lbs 8ozs which seems pretty reasonable.

Mannuals well. Jumps well. Nothing not to like.

mattjg
    Free Member

I find the focus on chainstay length with 29ers interesting…..

(snip)

Personally, I don’t think it makes any sense to talk about chainstay length in isolation….

some truth there, it’s a combo, I think of 1) wheelbase (shorter is more agile, longer is more stable) 2) having weight a little back over the rear wheel which makes the front wheel very controllable (you can still get weight on it easily, but you can get weight off it easily too)

** I rode my mate’s Inbred side by side with my Yelli. ETT is within 1.5 mm, HA is 1 degree difference, chain stays are 20mm longer in the Inbred. The Inbred’s front wheel was glued to the ground. The Yelli’s front wheel goes where you want it to go, as light or as heavy as you want (despite having a longer fork on it). My point here (I think) is that 20mm, which doesn’t seem much, is significant.

** I claim no expertise, just speak as I find.

Whydot

I rate my budget Canyon offering (Grand Canyon?). Bought expecting to want to change the frame and viewed it as a good way of getting a load of 29er parts. Turns out it’s pretty good. I like it. It flatters me going uphill, compensates for a lack of riding, and is a bit more sketchy going down, but still not too slow…

mattjg
    Free Member

rhid come back and update us when you’ve decided please

gazhurst
    Free Member

Cough – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ktm-myroon-ktm-race-action-frame-reba-29er-crest-29ers-on-hope-pro-2-evo – cough

I’m sure we could build one of these frames up to suit your budget

rhid

I have at last decided on a on one parkway frame, some 120mm forks like rebas or something and 2nd hand wheels. Im going to swap bit off my ht onto the new build and take it from there. Decided to keep costs down by doing it this way. Budget it about 500 so need wheels and forks for 300. Should be possible! Anyone know any going cheap get in touch!

danti

If you are interested in a Solaris I just happen to have a Medium one for sale on the Classifieds.

rhid

I think the medium is too big. Im a shortass at 5″6. I will investigate

rhid

I think the medium is too big. Im a shortass at 5″6. I will investigate

RAFDH
    Free Member

I just got a brand new Boardman Pro 29er from Gumtree for £630, the guy had only picked it up on Monday. There are some bargains to be had on there from people getting C2W bikes and selling them on with very little use.

sync
    Free Member

Except, the seller doesn’t actually own the CTW bike this early on in the process. Not sure if you have legal title to it, you may want to check.

Much like cars sold with finance outstanding are still owned by the finance company with ctw the administration company, whether the employer or CTW agent, can potentially legally own the bike.

devash
    Free Member

I think, after a lot more research, that I’ll be buying one of these;

Cube Race One

XT drivetrain, XT hubs, Reba, Deore brakes.

I can get this for €1099 in Italy which by the current exchange rate makes it about £900. Can’t go wrong at all.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Noooooooo…. Don’t buy a Pube.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What 29er Hardtail to buy?’ is closed to new replies.