Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What 26″ full sus XC short travel would you look out for?
  • withersea
    Free Member

Thinking about finding (hopefully low cost) 26″, mile munching, comfy xc mtb. Love my Jeykyll, but don’t take it out with a view to doing loads of miles, thinkibg about foing more mud plugging in 2021 and waa hoping that there might be a few 26″ classics to look out for.

Any suggestions?

Dickyboy

Isn’t giant anthem the stock answer?

tall_martin

I had a Cannondale scalpel with a lefty for a while. It had ~60mm of travel I think.

It was awesome in smooth woods.

The fork leaked and the rear suspension linkage broke. Both of those things might have happened before I bought it. It was sold as a factory raw finish which it absolutely was not.

I got a new linkage from the states, then noticed the fork was leaking and sold it. The buyer took the bottle cage off and found a large hole drilled in the frame under it. I offered them some money off or a refund and they seemed happy with the money off.

So buyer beware. old light frames that get raced might not be until top condition.

It was an awesome bike

alanl
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Superlight?

intheborders
    Free Member

Look on ebay.

Find there’s very little.

Buy something from this decade 🙂

dickydutch

Scott Spark. No brainer.

devash
    Free Member

Specialized Camber. 120mm front and back. Quite radical geometry for its day (very long reach / effective top tube and 68.5 degree head angle).

I sold mine a few years back with XT 11 speed drivetrain, upgraded Reba fork and Fox shock and Answer carbon bars for £500. The bloke who bought it got a bargain. They probably go for even cheaper now.

swoosh
    Free Member

I’d go for the Boardman FS Pro frame that’s hanging up in my garage and really wants a new home. 120mm front and rear and it was a great riding bike.

twonks

My 2007 Santa Cruz superlight frame is sat lonely in the loft.

I’m quite attached to it and am not looking to sell, but they go for about £200 to £300 and ride very well x/c with a nice 100mm fork, or a 120mm fork for a bit more fun.

Lying next to mine is a 120mm Sid and they do go nice together.

DanW
    Free Member

Shameless plug… I have a Scalpel Hi-Mod frame (Large) that I bought and barely used before 29ers became a thing. DT Swiss carbon shock with the shock/ all bearings/ bushings serviced by TF Tuned before it went in to storage. It is such a gorgeous frame but I have never gotten around to using it as it deserves! I think I may still have the Lefty too which was also serviced by TF. Failing that I’m sure I have adapters for a regular fork. I’m going to have to dig this lot out now I’m getting all nostalgic 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a demo on an anthem-x at Cannock when they first came out. An absolute rocket ship of a bike. Incredibly twitchy though, its a machine for covering lots of flat miles and climbing hills as fast as your lungs will allow. Then descending with zero panache.

tonyd

Always wanted a Superlight! I almost brought one home with me from a work trip to California in about 2006.

You still see fair condition Stumpys – pre 2005ish and 100mm travel.

I still ride a 26” Yeti ASR5, 120mm. Hell of a bike still for XC. I do struggle a bit trying to keep up with mates on 29ers though.

lawman91

My old man still has his Rocky Mountain Element from 2005, amazing bike and rides pretty well for its age. Numerous mates have had 26” Elements in the past and rated them highly, lovely bikes and the finish is impeccable. If you can find one of the made in Canada ones even better!

stumpy01

Specialized Epic

claudie

Loved my mk2 superlight, think it was around 2007/8. Only sold it because I panicked about it becoming worthless with the rise of 27.5 / 29 bikes

Kip

I had 2007 26″ anthem and rode it everywhere including reds and blacks at Welsh and Scottish trail centres and the Alps (may have minced down them with my arse over the back wheel, pre-dropper). It was my first full suss and every bike since has to meet that standard. None have quite done it.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Claudie.-should’ve kept it-I still ride mine and it’s still superb.yes it is worthless but priceless at the same time.

tomparkin

If you’re anywhere near North Manchester I have a 26er Anthem in my shed you could have for beer money.

I bought it off a friend of a friend a few years back as my first MTB but it never really fit the sort of riding I wanted to do.

I’d love it to go to a good home and be actually used!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’m a big Spesh fan but older 26” specialized epics can be a pain to keep going with the unique rear shocks.

jam-bo

Why do you want kid sized wheels for xc & mile-munching?

Fat-boy-fat

SC Blur TRC. Fantabulous bike. Really shouldn’t have got rid of mine a couple of years ago.

oli2001
    Free Member

Anthem is the default for going a long way fast. Not much can touch it.
    Cube AMS good fast bike and pretty rare.
    Santa Cruz blur , faster than it should be for the weight, fun too.
    The Trek fuel ex pretty special too

tagnut69
    Free Member

Santa cruz blur

molgrips
    Free Member

You can start with my 2007 Hei Hei frame if you like, it’s really cheap 🙂

withersea
    Free Member

Tomparkin, cheers for the offer. I am in Leeds so not a million miles away. Depending on size,I may well take up your kind offrer.

Jam Bo, as a second bike I did ‘t want to be spending a fortune. And whilst I parted with my 26″ mtb, I don’t recall them being that much of a problem, I think my fitness is more of the issue.

tomparkin

Tomparkin, cheers for the offer. I am in Leeds so not a million miles away.

Ping me an email (my username at gmail dot com) if you fancy. I can probably take some pictures if I’m able to fight my way to the depths of the shed 😂

sani2c
    Free Member

Yeti ASR-Sl

Mine in large needs a new home…

Northwind

Anthem X was good- totally an XC bike that could do a bit more, rather than the allrounder some folk thought it was, but that’s still ace. Some late fuels/exs IIRC?

Not the Camber. Looked ace on paper, but rather than being an Anthem-ish xc bike with additional ability, it was a trailbike with the ability of an XC bike. Not the worst bike I’ve ever had but the worst bike that shouldn’t have been terrible.

Jerm

Still love my Superlight. I don’t have anything more modern (apart from a fully rigid 29er which only does hybrid duty as I don’t like it) so don’t feel I’m missing out. I’m still the limiting factor rather than the bike. It’s great for long days out in the Lakes. Mine weighs 26lb without trying. Head angle is 71 degrees though which does mean I don’t need to buy a gravel bike too.

superleggero
    Free Member

+1 for the Santa Cruz Superlight. Still ride mine regularly. Quite a long production run so suggest you go for Version 3.0 and above – see Superlight history here for details of the versions: https://nsmb.com/articles/5172-the-history-of-the-superlight/

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What 26″ full sus XC short travel would you look out for?’ is closed to new replies.