Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What 100mm ish full suspension bike?.
  • donkeydave

Hi I asked the other day about 27.5 giant anthem but with only one person replied guess it must not have been that interesting!.

I am currently riding a 26 inch wheel 100mm Giant Anthem and are thinking about letting my son have it and buying a new bike, I have ridden a hardtail 29er and hated it, so was thinking 27.5 but what I am not sure?.

Thoughts and new bike suggestions please.

Oh I really like my anthem so something along those lines budget upto maximum £2000.

Thanks in advance.

somouk
    Free Member

A lot of bikes available for that money, what didn’t you like about the 29er? It is definitely worth not ruling them out based on one ride, especially after being on a 26″ bike.

My advice would be to take a look at whats available locally at first if you want new and see if you can get test rides. Read all the reviews and compare all the specs for the money to see what is best from the big online suppliers like Evans. The 2018 Norco Sight was on special at Evans for that sort of money recently and had a good spec but is a 29er.

I’d also say to keep an eye on the classifieds, ebay and pinkbike as you will get some amazing deals for that sort of money in there, just keep your mind open brand wise if you are watching the used.

donkeydave

Yeah I have been looking new and secondhand, the 29er I borrowed it for two weeks, it was a Merida big nine 500 tfs and the reason I did not like it was the wheels seemed flexy,hard to wheelie (sad but true), and it felt dead if that makes sense.

Perhaps some test rides are in order.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

I have an Anthem and they are lovely bikes. Mine is a 2015 plenty capable and good for long rides. I don’t have a lockout but it isn’t needed with the maestro suspension anyway imho.

onewheelgood

How old was the 29er? I rode a couple of Specialized 29ers 5 or so years ago and they were just horrible, really barge-like, but they have come on a lot since then. I’ve got a Jeffsy 29er now and despite it looking absolutely huge it doesn’t feel at all big when you’re riding it.
    I also have a 2009 Anthem, which I still like – it’s stupidly light and with 120mm forks on it’s slightly less nervous on the steep stuff. If I was looking for something similar I’d get another Anthem – like this https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p9200/GIANT-ANTHEM-2-2018

zippykona

Another Anthem fan here.

donkeydave

Funny thats the bike I have been looking at from Pauls cycles, I really like my old school 26 inch wheel 3×9 but the new bike bug is biting lol.

The 29er was about 5 years ago so perhaps I should not rule them out.

iainc

There are a few threads on here about the current geo 27.5 Anthem. It a sorted bike, and Singletrack did a great review of it a couple of years back too. If you’re after a light nimble full suss that’s good value you can’t go far wrong with one. The current geometry is a totally different bike to previous Anthem’s.

tomhoward

The 29er was about 5 years ago so perhaps I should not rule them out

Absolutely this. I ruled them out 5 years ago after a demo day testing a few (orange Gyro/5 29, a niner xc race thing and something else) and hating all of them compared to what I’d ridden previously.

Of my 5 MTBs, 3 are now 29ers, one of which is a convertible fat bike, but from April to Dec, it has 29 wheels in

pixelmix
    Free Member

In classic STW ‘recommend what you have’ fashion, I find my 29er Anthem pretty capable. It is perfectly happy to pop off things and getting the front wheel up if that’s your thing. It only feels long very occasionally on tight switchback climbs.

My 2018 Anthem 2 seems to be available for £1800 at present I think. I added an internally routed dropper when I bought it a year ago but aside from the weight being slightly chunky for my liking, I have no complaints (I’m swapping the wheels for something slightly lighter for XC racing use)

Kryton57

Theres a Turner Czar in the classifieds.

You’d save my marriage by buying it.

jonnyrockymountain

Yeah very nice the czar, I used to have one awesome things and a very good buy for what he is asking

donkeydave

Only just seen this hope your marriage is still intact unfortunately its too big for me😂.

Still have not decided what i want or just keep the 26inch bike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What 100mm ish full suspension bike?.’ is closed to new replies.