Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wharncliffe / Greno Wood
  • lucien

Is there any XC around there that is waymarked / signposted?

Been looking online and there is some reference to a 10 mile black graded XC trail, but I can find any specifics on it.

Any advice / knowledge appreciated.

jackthedog
    Free Member

You can do a loop like that in Wharncliffe, but nothing is consistently signposted, nor is anything maintained in any official capacity. If you’re expecting a trail centre you might find it a bit of a boggy disappointment.

steveh

There are trails in both but none are properly signed at the moment. The wharncliffe loop as was is in poor condition in various places and not easy to follow unless you know it.
    The stuff on the Greno side is developing and we will be marking it up as a loop when it’s ready but at the moment none of it is marked apart from the steel city dh trail which has a signpost at the top saying bike track. We’re building 3 different dh’s and all are rideable now and there will be a climb for each mostly using existing fireroads. If you can find someone to show you around it’s lots of fun, if not with a bit of exploring and a sense of direction you’ll find most of it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    christhetall
    Free Member

It pretty easy to navigate yourself around Greno woods even without any marking. Go along the top track until you find an interesting looking track, follow it until you hit fireroad, ride fireroad uphill until you are back at the top, repeat until bored/knackered/dead.

Wharncliffe on the other hand is a frustrating experience. The Red route lures in the unwary, being well signed at the start (just below the car park) and has some good bits early on. But I don’t think it was ever completed, hasn’t been maintained and much of it a horrible boggy mess. And it is very easy to get lost, or head off down a very tricky downhill. There’s some great riding in there, but I would avoid it after this much rain.

steveh

The wharncliffe red route was finished but it was such a battle with FC that those involved lost interest and heart with so many broken promises that it has had little work since. Felling and other works have destroyed it too. Shame as it was good when it first went in.

lucien

Sorry to hear of the frustrations with building, FC etc – that sucks and thanks for all that responded. Think I’ll steer clear for bit….

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Wharncliffe has some great riding and it’s possible to put together a great loop but as above, you need the right conditions and a local to get the best out of it.

Greno, on the other hand, is what Wharncliffe should have been and is well recommended.

Little taster, albeit slightly shaky. Greno 2/3 of the way through:

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2DVnPVnMZBg[/video]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliffe / Greno Wood’ is closed to new replies.