• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Whacking out Wasps
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

What’s the household equivalent of nuking a wasps nest from orbit?

My 3 year old was playing in the garden today, raking in the soil in a big plastic pot thing, they must be nesting in the base because they swarmed out and one stung her before I could get them away, so they’ve got to go.

Any tips?

themilo
    Free Member

I hate wasps! Burn them. Burn them all.

thepurist

Wait about 4 to 6 weeks depending on where you are and they’ll go of their own accord.

themilo
    Free Member

And what lesson is to be learned by that?

On a more serious note, there do seem to have been far fewer waspies around over the pest few years and those I have seen have been considerably smaller than “normal”.

Is there something going on or is all the burning having an effect?

km79
    Free Member

Now you mention it, my windows were open all through ‘summer’ and I haven’t had a single wasp fly into my house this year. Normally get a few a week throughout summer months.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Whacking out Wasps

Not heard it called that before 😯

hodgynd
    Free Member

Same ..very few wasps seen this year ..but don’t know the answer to your question

Yak

Tip the nest out of the pot into something you can have a bit of a fire in. Burn it.

Obviously protect yourself. Fwiw I can confirm that a hoody and wooly hat does offer some protection, but not quite enough.

jimjam
    Free Member

thepurist – Member

Wait about 4 to 6 weeks depending on where you are and they’ll go of their own accord.

Have seen wasps well into december / january this last few years. Gnarly wee bastards too. Kind of like little drunken Japanese soldiers coming out of the jungle unaware the war is still over but commited to attacking all the same.

teasel
    Free Member

there do seem to have been far fewer waspies around over the pest few years

Hmmm…

I hate wasps! Burn them. Burn them all.

There’s a reason we don’t have anymore witches, y’know.

Drac

I had a nest in the base of the washing line pole a few years ago, as well as the risk to the kids the dog kept checking them out. Some white spirit and a match sorted them out. If they’re somewhere that can not be disturbed then leave them be but sounds like in your case they can’t

allthepies
    Free Member

Discovered an active wasps nest in the eaves of my garage this week. They managed to set the house alarm off twice in two days (PIR monitoring garage interior).

I will squirt in some wasp killer powder stuff one evening.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Some white spirit and a match sorted them out

Simple, yet effective, like it.

I had some in the garden a few years ago (in a hedge). I did my best to live and let live but they’re just out for a fight. So wasp powder did the trick but they did return to the same spot the following year.

I would recommend powder as you can treat the entrance to the nest on an evening when activity is quiet. Only takes a few days then job done.

jam-bo

I strimmed through a wasp nest once.

It went as well as you can imagine.

fossy

Nest destroyer spray. Spray it in the dark as wasps aren’t active. The spray covers the nest in foam, and the pesticides kill off the wasps. We’ve had a few over the years, and this is good for hard to get places.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Whacking out Wasps’ is closed to new replies.