Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • We've shaken hands, has it sold? (Car selling content)
  • Jamie
    Free Member

You shook hands on it. FFS, does this kind of thing mean anything any more?

Shake my hand and you’ll find out 8)

theotherjonv

Perhaps the ‘dear old couple’ are on behalf of the dealer. You pull out of the dealer deal, they see it and decide against, you go back to the dealer asking for the deal again, but now you’re on the back foot so when they offer you book value you’re forced to take it.

Cunning. I should be a scam artist.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As it’s a car dealer I’d have no problem whatsoever pulling out in favour of a better offer. They’d do it to you in a heartbeat.

How do you know? Should you pre-emptively go back on a handshake because you “reckon” he’d do it to you? Even though you have no idea whether he would or not? Surely the thing to do is to treat others as you would like to be treated, not how you expect to be.

how’s the view from up there?

It’s just fine thanks. When a simple thing like recommending someone stick to a deal on which he or she shook is viewed as being on a high horse morally, I shudder to think where the gutter is.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shake my hand and you’ll find out

The last time I did that blindfolded, it felt like you’d just given me your thumb. 😡

devs
    Free Member

Notwithstanding all the morality issues, even if no one else witnessed the handshake, giving the V5 to them kind of indicates you agreed a contract of sale. I reckon it’s sold.

unknown
    Free Member

it’s pure and simple greed

you seem to have very questionable morals

Welching on the deal for a possible couple of hundred is a low , shitty thing to do

Integrity.

Do you have any?

Does none of that sound like moral high-horsery to you? We’re talking about a guy trying to minimise his losses selling a car here, it’s hardly ruthless profiteering.

The point about it being different as it’s a dealer is because it’s a business. They’re the ones trying to make money here and in business if you don’t close a deal quickly enough (even if there has been an agreement in principle) and someone else becomes more competitive then you lose out.

Jamie
    Free Member

The last time I did that blindfolded, it felt like you’d just given me your thumb.

It was cold that day.

Del

thinking that way seems like a bit of a race to the bottom in terms of ethics.

that.
    if you’re really determined go speak to the dealer and tell them that you’ll require payment first thing monday morning.
    if it’s ‘pretty new’ then 2-300 quid amounts to what? 2-3% of the sale price? pfft!
    i guess if it’s the cheapest one on autotrader and now people are fighting over it you’ll be doing your research a bit more carefully next time.

fail. in a variety of ways.

br
    Free Member

I picked up a new (to me) car today.

I’d test drove it on Sunday, and agreed a deal (which included them doing a cam-belt service etc on it. Handshake’d the deal.

Went in to day to do the paperwork and pay.

I’d have been well-ar5ed if in the mean-time he’d have sold it to someone else.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Welching on the deal for a possible couple of hundred is a low , shitty thing to do . But you already know that , you just want people to tell you it’s OK to help clear your conscience .

In general I would agree but this is a car sales company and capitalism so reap what you sow.

I would say to the dealer – look someone has offered me £500 more and I feel bad so if you meet me half way [£250] I will still sell to you- you think they would not play customers off against each other? They will be upset about your lack of loyalty? Invite you round for moral philosophy 101

I think , on balance, its reasonable to treat a business like a business but it would not be fair were it done to private individuals.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does none of that sound like moral high-horsery to you?

No really, no. I guess it does to you though, from your own moral standpoint. We evidently have different compasses.

The point about it being different as it’s a dealer is because it’s a business. They’re the ones trying to make money here and in business if you don’t close a deal quickly enough (even if there has been an agreement in principle) and someone else becomes more competitive then you lose out.

That’s just a load of guff to say that it’s ok to go back on a deal. As I said, your moral compass obviously points to a different location to all of us elevated equestrians. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

We don’t make enough money to have integrity over £300

Yes, we all know integrity is the sole preserve of the super-wealthy. 🙂

Or they might bring their sharper more shrewd “son”

Tell us more about this so-called “son” of theirs. Sounds very dubious if you ask me.

Houns

*inserts comment about Lukes wimpy handshake*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tell us more about this so-called “son” of theirs. Sounds very dubious if you ask me.

I guess what I was saying was that for the kind of money he’s talking about, they might bring someone round to look the car over and try and knock off a few hundred quid anyway. “Oh, you didn’t mention this scratch, or that it only had 6 months tax left”…or a multitude of other reasons. An offer over the phone is pretty meaningless really.

unknown
    Free Member

According to my moral compass an offer over the phone is completely binding. Welching on an offer over the phone is pure greed, a low down shitty thing to do. Pfft, don’t people have any integrity any more?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

According to my moral compass an offer over the phone is completely binding. Welching on an offer over the phone is pure greed, a low down shitty thing to do. Pfft, don’t people have any integrity any more?

😆

Strange compass you’ve got when an offer over the phone means more than a face-to-face and a handshake.

unknown
    Free Member

I thought the bazinga was implied.

The serious point is that morality is not an absolute so why pick an arbitrary gesture like a handshake as the point of no return over, say a verbal offer being accepted?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The serious point is that morality is not an absolute so why pick an arbitrary gesture like a handshake as the point of no return over, say a verbal offer being accepted?

Well, a handshake is hardly arbitrary is it? I would have thought a face-to-face and a handshake had a lot more weight than a chat on the phone – but clearly it doesn’t for some people. Unless you want to call it that as an excuse to go back on a deal. In which case, any reason will do really.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Your word is your bond sealed in a handshake..more so if you spit on it 😕

On the other hand an extra £300 can buy a decent wheels…a set of XT brakes etc…etc… Your call 😉 ..you know you want to

grum
    Free Member

I guess what I was saying was that for the kind of money he’s talking about, they might bring someone round to look the car over and try and knock off a few hundred quid anyway. “Oh, you didn’t mention this scratch, or that it only had 6 months tax left”…or a multitude of other reasons. An offer over the phone is pretty meaningless really.

I should have put a smiley. I knew what you meant – I was trying to be funny. 😐

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would have thought a face-to-face and a handshake had a lot more weight than a chat on the phone

True but i would still not be going there for lectures on treating people fairly no matter what horse I had to ride in on

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

there

Where?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

It would be like begging parts from people on STW because you were too skint to keep your bike running, and then selling them on the classifieds a few weeks later….

MarkLG
    Free Member

There’s no way I’d walk away from a definite sale to get an extra couple hundred quid on the strength of a phone conversation. I’ve sold a few cars and motorbikes over the years and there’s no shortage of ‘buyers’ out there who’ll offer full price on the phone, only to start messing you about, or they’ll come to get it and start haggling on the agreed price.
    Not sure why you gave the dealer the V5 though 😕
    If you didn’t research the value of the car beforehand and short changed yourself then put it down to experience.

chewkw
    Free Member

We’ve shaken hands, has it sold?

Yes, you have sold it.

Sell it to the dealer after all it’s only £200-£300 differece…

bearnecessities

From what’s described, I don’t understand what the big moral problem is?!

OP. “Will you by my car?”
    Swiss Toni: “Go on, I’ll give you some money. Drop down the V5 would you and see you Monday for the car”

*weekend passes*

OP. “Toni, I got a call and much improved cash offer privately over weekend; it was advertised elsewhere you see. Hope you understand I couldn’t really turn that down and hope I didn’t waste too much of your time”.
    Swiss Toni: “No worries; here’s your V5”

EDIT: Although I do agree it’s risky for the reasons mentioned previously; haggling will likely occur – I’d stick with dealer for what appears to be less than a 10% increase?

chewkw
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member

From what’s described, I don’t understand what the big moral problem is?!

Some nice people will understand and let you go, others will not and will want a chunk of you.

unknown
    Free Member

Yes, you have sold it.

No he hasn’t. When I sell something I generally like to receive some money in return. As nice as a handshake is, I don’t think I’d swap one for a car.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d say you are legally bound Luke but it’s not worth their hassle to chase you to enforce it – although they could just refuse to return the V5.

As above a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

rickt
    Free Member

£200 to £300 extra… not worth the hassle and risk.

You have a 99.9% confirmed sale – take that.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

wouldn’t hand anything over at all until full payment,personally, unless you knew them somehow and trusted them. I’d also expect a deposit of some kind if there’s going to be a delay in payment and the buyer is serious, although I can also understand the buyer not commiting to this, esp a dealer who can probably get something very similar next week.

Take the original price/ buyer imho if this is a small %,as others have said it’s not worth the risk, plus you have agreed.If they start messing you around then that’s different.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

mind you maybe the dealer didn’t pay up front so they could withdraw from the sale also?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Make sure this doesnt happen whent he little old lady shows up 😉

http://imgur.com/JcWAln0

Personally, if I was the dealer I’d be a bit hacked off but he didn’t take the car off you or pay you there and then, so I’d say go for it.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d say you are legally bound Luke but it’s not worth their hassle to chase you to enforce it – although they could just refuse to return the V5.

I’d say this is true. Verbal agreements can be enforced. But more importantly you shook on it, that’s a done deal in my book I wouldn’t break it for £2-3,000 let alone a couple of hundred.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Why bother to shake hands on the deal if it doesn’t mean anything to you ?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I misread the first post; I saw 2-3000!! Doh!

I probably wouldn’t bother over £300, unless you’re not going out of your way. If the dealer is that close to a private offer, it’s a good offer.

devs
    Free Member

Has he sold it yet?

hora
    Free Member

Private buyers are very fickle creatures. Personally I’d consider already sold.

iolo
    Free Member

Both buyers told him to @@@@@ss off after reading this thread.
    It will be in classifieds here next. Whatever you do, don’t shake on the deal.
    He has zero morals and is in bed with his mother.

fasthaggis

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘We've shaken hands, has it sold? (Car selling content)’ is closed to new replies.