Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • We’ve not had a fattie hating thread for a while
  • geoffj

Whaddya think?

Should chocolate be taxed?

or

🙂

SiB
    Free Member

Chocolate manufacturing will go underground, the underworld confectioners will be the only winners, everyone wil become addicted and the only ones to benefit will be the pushers.

BlingBling
    Free Member

IT’S MY METABOLISM!!!

auldy
    Free Member

Going by the prices in the vending machine where I work I think the Tax is here already !

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Go straight to the source and tax fatties themselves on a per-pound basis :o)

[don’t tell ton]

speaker2animals

No I’ve got a glandular problem.

surfer
    Free Member

I eat like a bird really!

trailmonkey

It’s odd that chocolate should be singled out in this way. The problem with most peoples diets is too much sugar not too much cocoa butter. We now, on average, consume the same amount of sugar per week, as the Victorians consumed in a year. Slightly misleading I know, as your average Victorian was probably highly malnourished, but I’m sure you get the general picture.
    We’d probably see far better results in peoples health if companies were made to stop loading processed foods (ketchup, baked beans, bread etc) with unnecessary sugar rather than impose punitive tax measures on chocolate.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but sugar is yummy… and you need carbs!

surfer
    Free Member

but sugar is yummy… and you need carbs!

If you are exercising yes, if not you need to reduce your intake accordingly.

trailmonkey

but sugar is yummy..

So are opiates. What’s your point caller ?

tinker-belle
    Free Member

So when are they planning to up the tax on McD’s/ Burger King/ KFC, all those cheap and nasty ready meals?

MrSmith
    Free Member

the chocolate we eat in this country isn’t real chocolate it’s flavoured fat and sugar. we should tax the fatty/sugary chocolate but not the high cocoa content chocolate.
    i have a bit of 70-80% cocoa chocolate every day it tastes much nicer and is better for you than a mars bar.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh I’m sure some doctor who wants his picture in the news will be along shortly to suggest that, tb.

jon1973
    Free Member

No I’ve got a glandular problem.

yey, your mouth gland is bigger than your arse gland.

jon1973
    Free Member

i have a bit of 70-80% cocoa chocolate every day it tastes much nicer and is better for you than a mars bar.

Surely whether something tastes better is a matter of taste? I prefer Dairy Milk to the richer chocolates you get on the continent.

Longarmedmonkey

No good food, no bad food, just too much food. Hang on what about Pot Noodle?

Sandwich

Now you’re just being filthy 😀

scuttler

Mini Eggs!! – we’ve got a bag the size of Belgian double decker bus full of elephants in our cupboard. Awesome.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So are opiates. What’s your point caller ?

wrong. I tried morphine when offered it in A&E when I had no actual pain – it was totally horrible, and not something I’d choose again unless in sever pain 🙁

snobbery. Cocoa tastes bitter and vile on its own, and high cocoa chocolate can be very nasty, so lots of sugar and full fat for me please 🙂 There’s nothing wrong with sugar and fat per se, in fact you need those food groups – just no too much

trailmonkey

Well I beg to differ. I did some opium cookies at Glasto once and they were lovely. 😛

footstomper
    Free Member

I told some of my Ex girlfreinds to stay off the fattie stuff but they didn’t listen so they ended up looking like this.

molgrips
    Free Member

the chocolate we eat in this country isn’t real chocolate it’s flavoured fat and sugar. we should tax the fatty/sugary chocolate but not the high cocoa content chocolate.

Bloody chocolate snob. Chocolate is all cocoa solids with sugar and optionally milk. It’s a matter of taste and price. I love Cadbury’s chocolate, and also the higher solids stuff – but not as high as 90%. Am I allowed that? Is that ok Mr Chocolate Police man?

🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s not ‘snobbery’ i just don’t like the taste of u.k chocolate with it’s high fat/sugar low cocoa content.

i stand by what i said about it not being ‘real’ chocolate as in some instances the cocoa content is so low that in some countries it wouldn’t be legal to call it chocolate. the addition of vegetable fat just makes it cheaper to produce as you can use less cocoa/ cocoa butter.

you can eat what like. i’ll not tell anybody what they can or can’t eat.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“tax fatties on a per lb basis”

wholeheartedly agree

tinsy
    Free Member

Whahoo there, them women have been on the Fois Gras through the funnel and hosepipe diet.

zaskar
    Free Member

I’m on diet again after losing 20kg put on 6 kg from not training and overworking but still look good! (Breathes in!).

Need to look hot for the GF in summer and wear tight riding tops, besides riding up hill and powering out of the saddle becomes so easy.

If people want to be fat let them do it as long as they are happy and not obese due to psychological reasons or medical reason other than intake outbalnces output.

I like slim ladies but no probs with volumptious ones either but that pic has put me off food all day now.

I’m eating veg soup tonight now!

Taxing anything is just a way of getting funds-let them tax a popular product. Only to for a political party to un tax it as an election promise.

juan
    Free Member

i have a bit of 70-80% cocoa chocolate

That is just sugar for the kids right?
    I refuse to use anything below 85% cacao and the 85% is what I call my commuting junk food. I actually went through a phase when I only took chocolate at the coffee shop with my coffee. And it was a nice 99% cacao send by the lovely foxychick.

Maybe educating the kids more and banning supermarket to sell fresh (as chilled or cold) food could be a start. So people will buy meat raw from the butcher, fish uncooked from the fishmonger and pizza from a pizza shop.

Plus load of the skinny guys I see everyday are far less healthy (drink alcohol, smoke, eat junk food) then some people not fitting in the “stw perfect waist size club”

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And it was a nice 99% cacao

minging 🙁

geoffj

I thought the 85% stuff tasted guff – I can’t imagine the 99% stuff ❗

SST
    Free Member

the day they combine personal weight and luggage weight into one for flight allowance I’ll be a happy man!

stumpy01

I don’t really understand the whole chocolate thing…….as in, why tax that specifically?

Her indoors bought a large bag of Doritos earlier this week – it was a 225g packet and had something ridiculous like 1250 calories in it (might have been more, I can’t remember). Now, I know people who would easily sit down and eat that in one go while watching a film.

juan
    Free Member

minging

You probably mean I don’t like it… That what my parent use to tell me when I as kid to give me an education…
    Did you had an education SFB? I am wondering suddenly.

stumpy01

Up to 80% I can handle, but that really bitter stuff just doesn’t do it for me.
    Not to say that others shouldn’t enjoy it though.

The only chocolate I really am not keen on is the really cheap stuff that comes in Advent calendars and stuff.

surfer
    Free Member

the day they combine personal weight and luggage weight into one for flight allowance I’ll be a happy man!

I’ll second that.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You probably mean I don’t like it…

yes, I meant: “I don’t like it because it’s minging!”

That what my parent use to tell me when I as kid to give me an education…

a fine example of how well he/she/they did :o)

Did you had* an education SFB?

it was too long ago for me to remember 🙁

*ditto

Is it really necessary to parenthesise everything one says with “In my opinion” ? Surely that’s implicit ? I would not seek to impose a universal standard for cocoa content in chocolate, and am happy for people to want more if they like it, but I prefer the British super-sweet type 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Now, I know people who would easily sit down and eat that in one go while watching a film.

a whole FILM?? An episode of The Simpsons would be long enough for me 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

i stand by what i said about it not being ‘real’ chocolate

It is real. It’s brown and choclatey flavoured, and it exists in a real form I can touch, smell and taste. So it’s not fake.

If I like tea with lots of milk in it, is it not still tea? If I like bread with cheese, is it not still bread? So why would milky sweet chocolate not be ‘real’ chocolate?

Just call it milk chocolate or something. Oh wait – they do.

MrSmith
    Free Member

before the rules were changed some U.K chocolate had to be labled ‘household milk chocolate’ as it’s vegetable fat content was too high.

Our Plain Dark Chocolate contains:
    70%+ Cocoa solids (cocoa mass and cocoa butter), 29% sugar, vegetable Lethicin and Vanilla.

Our Milk Chocolate contains:
    40% Cocoa Solids (cocoa butter and cocoa mass), 37% sugar, 20% whole milk powder, Lactose, vegetable Lethicin and Vanilla.
    Our White Chocolate contains:
    49% sugar, 33% cocoa butter, 18% whole dried milk and whey powder, vegetable Lethicin and Vanilla.

Different manufacturers use different variations of the above formulas.

Inferior and/or mass produced chocolate generally contains much less cocoa solids, (as low as 7% in some cases), with most or all of the chocolate butter replaced by vegetable oil or other fat. In fact, the low or virtually non-existent cocoa content of these “Brand Name” and other chocolate products means that strictly speaking, they should not really be classed as chocolate at all, as they are really chocolate flavoured sweets.

The average cocoa solids content of these mass produced products is generally less than 20% by volume. The principle ingredients of commercial mass produced chocolate are not cocoa solids, but sugar, powdered milk and sundry artificial and other additives, in addition chocolate butter is substituted with saturated fats and vegetable fats, (usually hydrogenated vegetable oil or HVO). These are the dietary villains responsible for chocolate’s undeserved reputation as being fattening, tooth-decaying and generally unhealthy.

to me a confection of 5% cocoa powder with the remainder a mix of vegetable fat and sugar isn’t real chocolate same as adding 5% beef to a mix of rusk/fat/cardboard doesn’t make a beefburger.

i’m not bothered that you are happy to eat cheap high fat/sugar ‘chocolate’
    like pasteurised and artificially gassed beer and acetic acid/non brewed condiment (a byproduct from the oil industry) passed of as malt vinegar I wouldn’t want to eat/drink a substitute for the real thing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘We’ve not had a fattie hating thread for a while’ is closed to new replies.