Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Wetherspoon’s profits down by 19%
  • singletrackmind

We were discussing Spoons at lunch, can someone explain how they can sell a pint of a perfectly nice pint of 5% beer for £1.29. Don’t tell me it cause it’s just about to go off.

Because they pay 75p a pint for it roughly . You are correct, its not about to go off. That was an urban myth from many years ago. Probably was some truth in the early days but not in the last 10+.
    They operate over 1000 venues in the UK. And as such have a large group buying power which means thay can buy beer at wholesale price. Independant breweries supply JDW via a tender for the year, within a price bracket that is set at budget time.
    They also have 2 x beer fesivals nationwide a year and buy a huge amount of beer for that. This is also at a competetive price.
    TBF darn south its mostly £1.99 + but still very cheap . They make their profit on volume , food and cost control.
    The pubs all stock 2-3 national lines that are bought in on an annual group barrelage contract ( used to be Speckled Hen , Courage Directors and Spitfire ) and all JDW stocked these and the amount of guest suppliers was subject to the throughput of these main lines.

Tim Martin is very shrewd. Backing Brexit and probably realising the fall out is millions more unemployed = millions more potential lifers who will spend all day getting quielty hammered in a local JDW . perhaps.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Backing Brexit and probably realising the fall out is millions more unemployed = millions more potential lifers who will spend all day getting quielty hammered in a local JDW . perhaps.

You really think that?

I mean the benefit is so generous that all those layabouts can afford to spend all day in the pub.

Or are you just spouting out more anti-Brexit BS in the STW echo chamber?

BillMC

Try to find a major associated with progressive politics. Guinness? Young’s? Tennant’s?
    I’ve seen some great buildings sensitively conserved under JDW control and it fills a gap in a bit more of a civilised way that used to be occupied by Yates. It wouldn’t be my first port of call but I wouldn’t reject them out of hand.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I object to the Brexit promotion within the pubs. The owner can have his own poorly thought out opinion but as soon he politicised his business he took a different tack and deserves to be boycotted.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I object to the Brexit promotion within the pubs. The owner can have his own poorly thought out opinion but as soon he politicised his business he took a different tack and deserves to be boycotted.

Do you boycott any business where the owner makes political statements?

Or just ones where you disagree with their views?

cookeaa

Went in a spoons with our youngest for a quiet (cheap) lunch a few weeks back and I actually read some of the propaganda.

TBH it took me a while to figure out if it was even pro or anti Brexit… Just a bunch of disjointed ramblings and fact/stats soup. Plus I was the only one bothering to read it everyone else was on their phone or talking to their mates/loves ones… As a bit of political “activism” it’s pretty harmless and somewhat after the fact whatever your views. Just background noise.

As a remoaner I’ll still happily frequent his pubs and buy his cheap beer/food as I have for the last twenty odd years. I disagree with his politics, but he has the right to espouse his beliefs, same as any of us, without fear of disproportionate reprisals… And being practical, post Brexit, we’re still going to need major employers so why hound JDW out of business? the referendum was over 2 years ago… It’s ancient history now.

If you really feel strongly enough why not just write to him directly?

ransos
    Free Member

Do you boycott any business where the owner makes political statements?

Or just ones where you disagree with their views?

I don’t see anything wrong with avoiding businesses whose ethics you disagree with.

gobuchul
    Free Member

ethics

Neither do I.

However, you are confusing ethics with politics.

Sandwich

No it’s definitely ethics.

When an owner insists his staff promote his political views it’s ethics.

gobuchul
    Free Member

insists his staff promote his political views

Except he doesn’t.

ransos
    Free Member

Neither do I.

However, you are confusing ethics with politics.

I’m not. First, because political policy is very often driven or justified by ethical considerations; and second because Martin took an ethical decision to use his business for promoting his political beliefs.

Brexit is a pretty obvious example of political ethics, given its ongoing debate about the role of nation States and the rights of citizens.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Brexit is a pretty obvious example of political ethics,

Is it?

Do you identify as Left Wing?

The EU is a Right Wing construct. Just because a significant number of right wing loons support Brexit, does not change that fact.

A good example is Corbyn, he has always been a Euro sceptic and highly critical of the EU, if the current political situation was different, there is no doubt he would of been a vocal Brexit supporter, however, he knows that would blow any chance he has of gaining power and so keeps his mouth shut.

cookeaa

When an owner insists his staff promote his political views it’s ethics.

His premises contain literature stating his beliefs through, the lens of a bunch of “what’s good for JDW is good for The UK” type pieces… The staffs involvement begins and ends with putting the pamphlets on the tables along with the menus…

Saying that he’s forcing them to promote his political views is like saying he’s forcing his vegan/vegetarian staff to “promote” eating meat at the same time.

It’s bobbins as a statement and if you can only bring yourself to work for/buy from people and organisations that entirely meeting your ethical (and political) standards its a wonder you get through the day…

kimbers

His staff aren’t all happy with him forcing them to promote his bonkers Brexit

https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/545721/spoons-workers-against-brexit-group-campaigns-against-pro-brexit-boss

cookeaa

Selective quote:

In response to the campaign, a JD Wetherspoon spokesman said: “They are entitled to their views. It should be noted that if a member of staff does not wish to put out the magazines, then they don’t have to. We have no issue with that.

So, they are able to disagree on politics, excuse themselves from “promotion” of Brexit madness, state their opinions, and still get along nicely in the workplace and flog the great unwashed cheap beer…

Not really a big deal at the end of the day is it?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Lots of smaller pubs & breweries have been forced to close by their aggressive pricing which is also a shame I think.

I’ve boycotted Esso petrol stations for the same reason since 1995. Those bastards put me out of business.

gobuchul
    Free Member

His staff aren’t all happy with him

So what?

He is entitled to a political opinion.

I wonder how many people agree with their Employers political view?

I worked for a large Company for 8 years, that was ran by a “Lord”, a Conservative peer, who was particularly privileged and held completely different political views from my own.

cookeaa

Lots of smaller pubs & breweries have been forced to close by their aggressive pricing which is also a shame I think.

True, but it’s a double edged sword, at the same time other old buildings and pubs have been restored as JDWs creating employment…

I would like a bit more variety when it comes to high Street pubs but you can’t have it’s all. I suppose you might call that an ethically compromised position but it’s that sort of thing that allows most of us to function in the modern world…

singletrackmind

Lots of breweries probably opened / stay open because of JDW ……

ransos
    Free Member

Is it?

Yes, for the reason I gave and you omitted from your quote.

supernova

I quite like Weatherspoons despite its reputation. At least you get the sense the owner is pro-Brexit because he’s an idiot rather than a xenophobic racist from 1971.

dissonance

He is entitled to a political opinion.

Who says he isnt? What people are objecting to, including by chosing not to go there, is his active use of the business to push his political views.
    Its quite different from your example of the tory peer. Or did your business actively push his views to the customers?

gobuchul
    Free Member

is his active use of the business to push his political views.

Why shouldn’t he?

including by chosing not to go there

Which they are also entitled to do. Not having a lot of effect mind.

dannyh
    Free Member

I didn’t actually mind Wetherspoons in years gone by as they did some decent ale at not bad prices.

But I will not set foot in one now, under any circumstances. Nor will I buy a Dyson hoover ever again.

Now, obviously (as always) the odious pricks that created these brands will be safe and their employees will take the hit, but this is the only way we can hit back at them, so it has to be this way.

Screw em and as above, if Wetherspoons goes under I will raise a glass from somewhere else. If I happen to have spent more on that glass of beer then I couldn’t give a shit, in fact it will be worth the extra pennies.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Screw em and as above, if Wetherspoons goes under I will raise a glass from somewhere else.

So any Company, that has been created by people who has different political views from yourself, you would like to see bankrupt?

ransos
    Free Member

So any Company, that has been created by people who has different political views from yourself, you would like to see bankrupt?

He set out why he wouldn’t be sorry to see Wetherspoons and Dyson fail, so why the straw man line of questioning?

Northwind

CountZero

Perhaps, in the fantasy universe you seem to inhabit. With pubs closing in their hundreds every year,

Well that’s a randomly aggressive response. There’s nothing magic about weatherspoons that means another chain or pub couldn’t be as succesful in the same spot. Most pubs that are closing just now, are closing in the places Weatherspoons aren’t, for the same reasons.

dannyh
    Free Member

He set out why he wouldn’t be sorry to see Wetherspoons and Dyson fail, so why the straw man line of questioning?

Passive-aggressive tendencies stemming from some kind of life-frustration would be my guess, but actually I’m not particularly bothered.

slowoldman

I guess sales will be up for the next two weeks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They operate over 1000 venues in the UK. And as such have a large group buying power which means thay can buy beer at wholesale price. Independant breweries supply JDW via a tender for the year, within a price bracket that is set at budget time.
    They also have 2 x beer fesivals nationwide a year and buy a huge amount of beer for that. This is also at a competetive price.

True, although in a some* cases breweries brew to a price to get into the beer festival or win the tender. It’s always a pale reflection of the rest of their beers, watery and with less hops. Fine if all you want is a pint of mild/bitter. And a few I know have done it once and not again as whilst it’s a big order for the beer festival, it’s a one off, a lot of work at a very low price. Basically making less per barrel but 5x the work in return hopefully for a bit of brand awareness (if the average wetherspoons drinker can remember what they drank the week before).

*there’s thousands of breweries, i can only say for the ones I’m familiar with their other beers, the rest may follow the pattern or be different.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Some of you must be a right bore to be around/go out with, our for a few beers etc, let’s go in here it looks busy and has a good atmosphere, nope, let’s go down to the dated shit hole a mile out of town because the landlord is ethically sound. We’re having a beer and a good times ffs not a bastid political debate!!!

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Whether or not you share his political views he has built a very successful business and seems to run it in a way that his employees rate.

As a company, Wetherspoons:

– gives nearly all staff, including hourly paid workers a bonus
    – staff with 18 months service become elible for a company share scheme
    – they typically pay above minimum wage
    – more than half their staff are female
    – c45% of senior managers and board members are female
    – the also score highly on diversity in the workforce
    – the employee engagement scores are consistently positive

For me that’s a well run ship and the guy at the top seems to be a decent enough bloke.

ransos
    Free Member

Some of you must be a right bore to be around/go out with, our for a few beers etc, let’s go in here it looks busy and has a good atmosphere, nope, let’s go down to the dated shit hole a mile out of town because the landlord is ethically sound.

Yeah, it’s always difficult to find a central, lively pub that isn’t a Wetherspoons.

dannyh
    Free Member

For me that’s a well run ship and the guy at the top seems to be a decent enough bloke.

Good for you. You are in a decreasing demographic if the profit is down by 19%, though.

dannyh
    Free Member

But at least you’ll get served quicker. For a while anyway.

lucky7500

Good for you. You are in a decreasing demographic if the profit is down by 19%, though.

Read the article rather than the clickbait headline. The business isn’t ‘failing’ or in any risk of doing so any time soon. Indeed, the business is booming with income and sales well up. The reduction in headline profit is due to a £30 million increase in staff costs as a result of a pay increase implemented towards the end of last year.

dannyh
    Free Member

The reduction in headline profit is due to a £30 million increase in staff costs as a result of a pay increase implemented towards the end of last year.

Even better. If he’s having to take a £30m hit to make his staff advance his bullshit he is already hurting his own business himself.

Hopefully if enough punters desert him with his costs increased it will go to the wall quicker.

CountZero

But I will not set foot in one now, under any circumstances. Nor will I buy a Dyson hoover ever again.

Why not? Well, other than the fact that they’re pretty expensive.

dannyh
    Free Member

Why not? Well, other than the fact that they’re pretty expensive.

Cos Dyson is a ****, a Brexiteer (tautology there, really) and a hypocrite. And he sponsors Bath Rugby, which just puts him beyond the pale.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

dannyh, you seem like a very bitter person as far as Weatherspoons & Dyson go. Do you actually have as much hate for every Brexiteer, or just the successful ones?
    Don’t suppose you’ll be buying a JCB either?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Wetherspoon’s profits down by 19%’ is closed to new replies.