Wet rooms. Anyone got one?

Home Forum Chat Forum Wet rooms. Anyone got one?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Wet rooms. Anyone got one?
  • Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

This thread can only go one way…

Premier Icon scholarsgate
    Subscriber

Anyone got one?
    Did you install it yourself?
    What kit did you use?
    Expensive?
    Any pictures?

johndoh

We are currently looking into this and from what I have understood so far:

They are expensive
    Even the mot simple parts required seem to attract ‘wet room’ tax
    They are difficult to install
    They are prone to leak if not installed correctly (ie, even an experienced fitter can end up with leaks)

We have decided to look into walk-in showers instead – a good compromise on price and less prone to leaks (as they have traditional shower trays).

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

How do you keep the bogroll dry?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Yes, landlord put it in….

The floor slopes away from the drain towards the rest of the house
    It’s not got heating
    It’s not got under floor heating

With no heating it’s damp and never dries so mould appears, angles of drain are very important.

johndoh

Put it in a DryBag?

DrP

It’s a tiled room with a shower – no need for bog roll….

DrP

jfletch

When in a hotel with a wet room style shower I always get the feeling I am in a leisure centre/rugby club shower with a communal drain!

I don’t see how standing in the corner of the room to have a shower can ever be luxurious experience!

khani

We’ve got one that was installed downstairs for when a disabled relative comes to stay, was a right faff to do shaping the floor to drain properly and suchlike, and as said above its not cheap.. Upstairs we’ve got a 1200×1500 shower cubicle in the bedroom ensuit and its a much nicer experience..
    unless you need one for similar reasons I’d just get a walk in shower cubicle tbh..

Premier Icon DaveRambo
    Subscriber

We’ve just had 2 bathrooms done and decided against the wet room approach for most of the reasons above.

We went for a large walk in shower with a sliding door which means you keep warm while showering which in winter in a wet room you won’t be.
    A decent in-line extractor fan above the shower area keeps the condensation from filling the whole room so it dries quickly.

It’s a much, much better solution for a roomy shower than a wet room. You can then spend more money on a really nice shower\screen etc rather than an expensive floor.

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

As above. We used a big shower tray recessed into the floor so it only sits about 1cm above normal floor level. Don’t need a door if the tray is big enough. Lowered the ceiling underneath to take the drain which was much easier that raising the whole floor to get a drain in.

Premier Icon annebr
    Subscriber

Had one in our house installed by the previous owner who was a builder.

It didn’t have a big enough slope to drain properly so if you had the shower on to strong it’d flow out the bathroom door. The floor was always wet when you wanted to use the loo so you had to have shoes on or get wet feet. Everything else got wet or damp from spray.

It was always cold too.

We now have a very nice conventional bathroom.

tiggs121

Don’t do it if you live in an upstairs flat!!

Big walk in shower is way more practical and IMHO much better too.

Subscriber

Cheers.

To summarise.

It’s expensive.
    It’s a pain to install.
    It’ll probably leak.
    It’ll probably never dry.
    It’ll probably be cold.

Sounds great, I’ll let the other half know.

allthepies

scholarsgate wrote:

Sounds great, I’ll let the other half know.

she’ll still want one 😉

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

Ok, scratch one wet room, big shower now seems to be answer for me as well. Been wondering about this for awhile. O/H brought various brochures home yesterday……

polarisandy

yes, groundfloor, love it.
    Tanked and Tiled.

i only call it a wet room when talking to my wife, otherwise it’s called a darkroom/bike wash.

Pigface

All the houses I have stayed in, in Sweden and Finland had a wet room with a Sauna incorporated. If they can do them over there why can’t they do them here? I love them, you do a quick 10 seconds with the squegee to push the water towards the drain and that is that.

Having a sauna in a house is considered a luxury here a house with out a sauna is herecy over there 🙂

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Yeah, our living room regularly gets quite wet when the kids spill juice everywhere.

Dark Side

Pigface – Member
    All the houses I have stayed in, in Sweden and Finland had a wet room with a Sauna incorporated. If they can do them over there why can’t they do them here? I love them, you do a quick 10 seconds with the squegee to push the water towards the drain and that is that.

Having a sauna in a house is considered a luxury here a house with out a sauna is herecy over there

Our proposed loft conversion will have both a wet room and sauna. My wife is from Suomi though! 😀

Pigface

Dark Side Hyva!!!!! 😆

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

As soon as I have a houes with enough room, a sauna’s going in.

rosscopeco

DIY’d my own wet room inc toilet and sink 5 years ago when we re-furbished our existing house. It wasnnie difficult and I don’t recall it costing that much more than a bog standard one (pun intended!) especially by the time you factor in shower curtains, shower trays, glass doors etc etc

The room measures 3m x 2m. I used moisture resistant boards on the wall and floor. I sealed the floor and walls with a wet room tanking paint (the most expensive bit of the whole thing). I was a bit paranoid about this so gave it several coats.

I shaped the floor tiles down towards the drain by using maybe 50% more grout than you’d normally use ie extra thick at the dry bit and normal thick in the wet bit. Oh, I also installed a elect under floor heating mat which is just the best thing since sliced bread. I finished it all off with standard wall tiles and bathroom paint.

I’ve commandeered the shower as my own so it gets used every day and for all post ride hose downs.

Tom83

I’ve got one. It’s great.

nealglover

I shaped the floor tiles down towards the drain by using maybe 50% more grout than you’d normally use ie extra thick at the dry bit and normal thick in the wet bit.

How did spacing the tiles further apart help with drainage ?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Dark Side, surely you mean suomalainen

Subscriber

How did spacing the tiles further apart help with drainage ?

I think the 50% extra grout was underneath.

nealglover

I think the 50% extra grout was underneath.

Ah. That would be adhesive then.

Grout goes between the tiles.

(I am aware that some products claim to do both, often badly) 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Wet rooms. Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.