Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • West Midlands Safari park
  • Premier Icon hammy7272
    Free Member

Any good? Or a COVID hotbed?

I’ve read mixed reports recently.

Premier Icon Houns

No idea if a Covid hotbed but they are/were doing Covid tests there as I had to go for mine…. Not that this should stop anyone from going

As someone who has spent a lot of time there I’d say it’s not worth going. If you want to see the animals in captivity then fine (as much I hate seeing animals locked up they are very well taken care of)
    The rest of the place? Meh it’s like a shoddy seaside fun fair…. in fact you could just go to the funfair down the road at Stourport for a similar experience, albeit without the animals, for a lot less cash

Premier Icon phiiiiil

We went two weeks ago. The walk around bits aren’t much to write home about; the bat house is closed and we weren’t interested in the funfair bit so we didn’t stay there long. The safari park bit is operating as normal and as you’re in your own car it’s fine, I think we spent just over 2 1/2 hours doing that. Given the ticket allows you to go again we are intending to do so next month, but I think we’ll just do the drivey bit and leave the rest.

A lot of people do the drive first; we did the zoo bit first so it was very quiet. Social distancing was pretty nonexistent in the loos in the car park; the womens has separate ways in and out but the gents doesn’t, so you just have to live with it or cross your legs. This was before masks were commonplace so it has hopefully improved a bit.

Premier Icon hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks, it does seem expensive so thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Premier Icon jeffl

So as a family we go to loads of zoos, wildlife parks and safari parks. We went to west midlands Safari park a year ago. We were massively disappointed. The zoo part wasn’t much to write home about. The safari park was massively busy and took way to long to get around. Almost 2 hours due to the sheer number of cars they let in. It seems like a shitty amusement park with the animals as an afterthought.

The only bit that saved the day were the static ice age animals and dinosaur displays as our youngest loved them.

As a point of refernece we’ve been to the following zoos in the last two years. None of safari parks had the issues with the congestion that west midland safari park had. Maybe we just went on a bad day, but we won’t be rushing back.

Yorkshire wildlife park
    Highland wildlife park
    Twycross zoo
    Whipsnade
    Woburn safari park
    London zoo
    Chester zoo
    Twycross zoo
    Bristol zoo
    Longleat
    Crocodile world

Premier Icon phiiiiil

I don’t know how other safari parks do it but I think what seems to cause all the congestion at the West Midlands one is the gates through the secure enclosures; they’re all close together and don’t let many cars through, so even if most of the park is absolutely fine you end up with one long traffic jam right through the lion and dogs bit. It’s quite poorly designed, but I guess they’re kinda stuck with it now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.