Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • West Highland Way record broken
  • Waderider
    Free Member

Fort William cyclist Gary McDonald beat the WHW record today, time 9 hours 28 minutes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3843555564

Poopscoop

Blimey, that’s impressive!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Rather swift and plenty of KOMs to boot. Chapeau!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Guys a machine, apparently does rather well in the six days trial too.

Incredible time.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve just messaged Mr Tompsett to let him know…..some feat from Gary M.

sillyoldman

Jings.

Fat-boy-fat

Blinking eck. We must have taken 20 hours ish (over e few days).

reluctantjumper

That’s rather rapid, he knocked 3 minutes off the previous best between Tyndrum and Fort William!

What’s even more amazing is if you added up all of his PB’s for each section you could easily end up with a sub-9hr time!!

BoardinBob

I believe Rab Wardell has been training for the record too

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Going by his strava Rab is in good shape!

mashr

Rather swift and plenty of KOMs to boot. Chapeau!

But more importantly he’s got a Local Legend too!

Weird that he absolutely hands me my arse at any CX race we both end up at

rambler
    Free Member

Do we really think that cyclists caning it to compete against each other in a virtual pissing contest along one of the busiest walking trails is Scotland is a good thing for any of us?

markrh
    Free Member

What a brilliant effort, got to admire the guy. Looking forward to next attempt on the record.

dovebiker

I knew someone who rode it on a road bike about 1981, carried it most of way up Loch Lomond I expect one of the first instances of it actually being cycled.

martinhutch

Perfect south-easterly tailwind all the way! 🙂

I hope the temperatures weren’t as hot up there on Friday as it was in the Dales. I was suffering!

BoardinBob

rambler
    Do we really think that cyclists caning it to compete against each other in a virtual pissing contest along one of the busiest walking trails is Scotland is a good thing for any of us?

There will be a handful of cyclists who would attempt it, plus it’s not a “walking” trail as we’re absolutely allowed to ride it

mashr

rambler

I’d be amazed if any of the walkers would’ve even guessed he was racing

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yes

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What’s even more amazing is if you added up all of his PB’s for each section you could easily end up with a sub-9hr time!!

You’ve completely thrown me…. In what way is that amazing?
    Athlete in “doing 15 individual 100m sprints is even faster than said athlete doing a full 1500m shocker”
    🤔

13thfloormonk

Did the Rannoch Moor/Wade’s Road section yesterday after coming through Glen Kinglas.

Was on a fast gravel bike, relatively fresh legs, tailwind and was pushing on a bit.

Didn’t even break the top ten for the Strava segment and was 10 minutes off Gary McDonald’s time who had 6hrs of WHW in his legs by that point, humbled!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That’s impressive, and I can see why people do it as a speed challenge. People do it as a running challenge too, arguably much more impressive in 13hrs 41 mins

Personally for me it’s a route worth taking slowly, stopping at the pubs on the way, admiring the stunning scenery.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way record broken’ is closed to new replies.