West Highland Way by mountain bike

Home Forum Bike Forum West Highland Way by mountain bike

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • West Highland Way by mountain bike
  • flyingfox

Like it. Thanks for that. Wanted to do it this year but fear it’s maybe a bit late for all that now. Unless I just need to MTFU? It’s happened before, I have to admit.

mocha

did the WHW last month too (here)

what an arse that Loch KLomond section is, eh? very frustrating!

stanfree

Great blog and Great adventure , Im hoping to do the Devils staircase section soon and will be packing loads of extra tubes. Great photos too.

bigyinn

Body armour? Whats with the random blurred sections to some of the photos?

Other than that good effort and some good pics. Did you stay at the kings house? God that place has been a sight for sore eyes in the past for me.

Deneo

I’ve just written a blog about my epic mountain biking adventure along The West Highland Way. A must read for anyone about to embark on the journey. Complete with some great photos you can read all about it here – http://www.mynest.co.uk/blog/

Hope you enjoy it.

and for more images check out – http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhappell/sets/72157624976936821/show/

Beauty, loved that shot of someone wheelying past the Kingshouse.

I’ve had a few good nights there, the best being when I had ‘ridden’ from Rannoch station and met the track from the hunting lodge just as it had officially gotten dark. I could see the lights of the pub though which was all I needed!

Deneo

Thanks guys for the feedback, glad to hear you enjoyed reading the blog. It’s always good to hear a response, at least I know that my stuff is being read!

Yeah the Inversnaid section is a pain and not worth doing.
    It’s always a good time of year for the WHW ride. In fact probably better in the winter – no midges!
    Mocha – couldn’t open your blog – has it gone?
    Devils Staircase and run into KLL is great – dump a car at The Kingshouse and another at KLL to make it easier. That way you can push up and session KLL tracks too.
    I’m afraid that was me wheelying past the Kingshouse. Cheesey I know but it had to be done.

Heather Bash

Interesting report Mocha

>Obviously in regular use but why anyone would choose to stable their horse so far away from anywhere was a mystery?<

That would be the ‘The Pony Shed'( Garrons / Deerstalking)

mocha

That would be the ‘The Pony Shed'( Garrons / Deerstalking)

sorry, being thick here, what? The place had tack hanging in there, so looked like it was used for stabling? or am I missing a fundamental somewhere along the line?

Premier Icon cuckoo
    Subscriber
    Heather Bash

Perhaps it’s me – I thought I was answering your ‘mystery’;-)

AFAIK The Pony Shed is used for stabling Ponies (used for Deerstalking) ergo I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised to see Tack hanging in there.

mocha

yeah, you were answering my mystery 🙂 cheers! at the time it just seemed weird to have ponies stabled all the way up there – seems like a logistical nightmare to get feed etc up there. That’s a damn steep hill we pushed up from the loch!

scotabroad

Planning to do the trip mid November, a mate forwarded your blog and I found very useful indeed so I hope to repeat your travel plans.

Cheers

S

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Is there a definitive best direction? They say north to south means you approach most of the walkers head-on instead of catching them up which seems good, it was definately like that when we rode the final section out of fort william this year… Still dimly thinking of doing this early next year.

Deneo

Mocha, found the blog – cheers. Interesting read.
    Northwind – I think that south to north is the best way. Carry a whistle and blow like crazy as you approach the walkers, worked for us. It wasn’t that busy when we did it and you also find that only certain sections will be busy as the walkers all leave at the same time in the mornings and you quickly overtake them if cycling.

Premier Icon downshep
    Subscriber

Did south to north many moons ago on a rigid rockhopper. It is far more rewarding as the prevailing wind assists and the scenery improves the further north you go. There’s a real sense of occasion in leaving the central belt and slowly heading north. Can’t get excited about finishing at the shopping precinct in Milngavie.

Fit a bell, walkers don’t get offended hearing a little tinkle.

Heather Bash

>Is there a definitive best direction?<

Yes S/N for all the reasons explained above. Agree on the bell – Whistles are for emergencies

Premier Icon jwr
    Subscriber

Great read – thanks! This is one of the mini-adventures I have planned for next year, so I’ll bookmark your site for future reference.

-j

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Downshep: “There’s a real sense of occasion in leaving the central belt and slowly heading north. Can’t get excited about finishing at the shopping precinct in Milngavie.”

Yeah, that’s what draws me to south-north. Plus I have a bit of a silly idea about then taking whatever bike I use and chucking it down the downhill :mrgreen:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way by mountain bike’ is closed to new replies.